Alpha Video Training
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Save changes ...?" irk

Real Name
    brett sinclair

Default Re: "Save changes ...?" irk

My layout settings are as per the jpeg below. As far as I know they are the A5 defaults.

Thanks for your comments. I can see a way ahead now! First, a new revelation (well, it's new for me).

If you open the layout settings (View menu, Settings, System, Layouts) and change the "Automatically save form layouts..." preference, the setting does not take effect until you close down and restart A5. Wow, is that confusing.

So this starts to explain the sort of problems that are besetting us here. But wait, there's more!

With the "Automatically save form layouts..." preference (ASFLP) set on and A5 restarted, every form that is opened in design mode is going to be saved, whether you want it saved or not. So, if I open a form, make a few changes, think better of it and decide to close the form without saving, too bad, the unwanted changes will be saved anyway.

So here is the summary:

a. I can have ASFLP set off and be continually annoyed by the "Save...?" question every time I close a form in design mode, or

b. I can have ASFLP set on and have no way of discarding unwanted changes to a form in design mode.

And I have to remember that if I change ASFLP, I must close down and restart A5 for the new setting to take effect. (I cannot find this 'gotcha' in the documentation).

I don't think this facility has been implemented in A5 very well. :(

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Brett,
    Having to close a program and reopen (or sometimes even having to reboot Windows) is very prevalent with programs when a change has been made...just that most programs TELL you this when it is necessary! :-)
    Concerning the not wanting to save changes when it is automatically doing it---maybe if you didn't want the changes and closed out the form while in design mode?? I don't think it would save the changes then...just don't know if it could cause glitches somewhere is all.

Mike

Real Name
    brett sinclair

Quote Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
    Brett,
    Having to close a program and reopen (or sometimes even having to reboot Windows) is very prevalent with programs when a change has been made...just that most programs TELL you this when it is necessary! :-)
    Mike
    Absolutely! Agreed.

Concerning the not wanting to save changes when it is automatically doing it---maybe if you didn't want the changes and closed out the form while in design mode?? I don't think it would save the changes then...just don't know if it could cause glitches somewhere is all.
    If I don't want the changes and close the form, the changes are saved, whether I want them saved or not!

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Until this has been figured out...If you have changes you don't want sometimes, then just use the undo button I guess which works for your situation. You won't be "stuck" with unwanted changes but yet not be confronted with the save dialog all the time.

Just for clarity's sake--does the save dialog happen after canceling the code editor as well? No Undo for that if it does.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeC; 12-11-2006 at 01:34 AM.

Real Name
    brett sinclair

Just for clarity's sake--does the save dialog happen after canceling the code editor as well?
    No.

"Certified" Alphaholic Mike Wilson's Avatar
    Real Name
    mike wilson

Good afternoon Brett, Cal, Tom, Mike, Tim, et al.,

I can report that I had this happen to me at one time also. Another peculiar thing that happens to me periodically is that the listing of Action Script Actions in the Select Action dialog looses it listing by alpahetical listing, and the list is displayed in a random order. Both of these seem to be corrected only by my uninstalling and reinstalling the A5 program. The last time I need to do this, I forgot to save my libraries, so save your libraries before you try this. Maybe it might help.

Mike W

Real Name
    Doug Page

I think Mike has the solution. My A5 does what happens to Brett and Cal and has gone through many updates of A5 along the way. Another development machine that has only ever had a copy of A5v7 put on it works without the save dialog.

Doug

Real Name
    Doug Page

Did an uninstall and then reinstalled. Did not fix the problem. There has to be something in the registry that is being held. Will have to look at this another time and report back.

Doug

Real Name
    brett sinclair

Doug, thanks but there is no need for you to follow up. The answer is in my post, 8 above.

Here's my conclusion, hopefully for the good folk at Alpha Software who monitor these posts diligently.

There needs to be a change to the way in which A5 handles the situation on closing an open window for form design (also applies to browse design, report design, label design and letter design). That change is this:

o If the layout setting preference (View menu, Settings, System, Layouts) entitled "Automatically save form layouts..." is off and the designer closes a form that has been opened but not altered, do not display the dialog box that asks "Save changes ...?".

o Place a warning on the layout settings screen that changing this option does not take effect until A5 is closed down and re-started.

Personally, once these changes are made, I see no purpose for the setting at all. It should be removed as it serves no further purpose. At the present time it is poorly implemented and serves only to confuse and annoy.

Real Name
    Jack Lim

Default Save Enter in Progress?

Hello

Anyone can tell me how to get rid of the Alpha Five Standard Message on the form?

"Save Enter in Progress? - Yes, No, Cancel" -> When I click the "X" on top of the Form.

Many thanks.

jack Lim

Real Name
    Cynthia Swartz

WinXP SP1
    Dell Dimension 4300

A5v7 Alpha Sports:
    No message to save change (when changes weren't made) when clicking upper right (black) X of form design window.

Real Name
    Doug Page

Brett,

I guess I must be a little thick in trying to understand what you are saying. I have another machine here with a fresh install of A5v7 and it has the layout option unchecked and does not receive the Save dialog. Mine is also unchecked but does receive the Save dialog.

So to me there is something else that is causing this problem. Am I wrong?

Doug

Real Name
    mike wilson

Default Re: Save Enter in Progress?

Quote Originally Posted by jacklcs View Post
    Hello

Anyone can tell me how to get rid of the Alpha Five Standard Message on the form?

"Save Enter in Progress? - Yes, No, Cancel" -> When I click the "X" on top of the Form.

Many thanks.

jack Lim
    Jack,
    What you are referring to is different than what this thread is discussing. Your situation relates to A5 detecting a form in Form View being in the Enter/Change mode upon exit. This thread is focusing on the issue of A5 registering a change has occured with the Form being in Design Mode. So not to confuse things, I recommend you post this question separately.

Mike W

Real Name
    Stephany LInares

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
    Brett, you must be talking about leaving design mode for the layout, right? It's possible to open a data entry form and close it without seeing the message you're referencing. -- tom

but how do I know if Ive saved changes????? :)

Real Name
    brett sinclair

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Page View Post
    Brett,
    I guess I must be a little thick in trying to understand what you are saying. I have another machine here with a fresh install of A5v7 and it has the layout option unchecked and does not receive the Save dialog. Mine is also unchecked but does receive the Save dialog.

So to me there is something else that is causing this problem. Am I wrong?
    Doug
    Doug, you are quite right! In the hubbub I had overlooked this fact. Clearly there is something more afoot with this problem and I have not yet got to the bottom of it, unfortunately.

Real Name
    brett sinclair

Unless someone has new definitive information on the "Save...?" dialog box problem posted here, I would like to see this thread now closed.

This thread has generated more interest and comments than any other thread in this forum in over 2 years! Clearly this tends to indicate something. :)

I would like to thank all the contributors, who have helped here in trying to understand what is going on inside A5. What I would like to see is an insider's response from the good folk at Alpha Software that tells us more about the problem and the solution. Failing this we could still be discussing the same problem in another two years time.

Real Name
    mike wilson

Quote Originally Posted by beglobal View Post
    but how do I know if Ive saved changes????? :)

The toolbar shows you (pic attached).

Mike W

"Certified" Alphaholic Tim Kiebert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tim Kiebert

Quote Originally Posted by brett s View Post
    Unless someone has new definitive information on the "Save...?" dialog box problem posted here, I would like to see this thread now closed.

Brett,

Not sure if this is definitive but enough new evidence I think to reopen the case (Tom could advise on that one :)).

I reported earlier that I was not experiencing the behaviour that you were. Well guess what, yep I started to see the same thing. And on the same machine that earlier did not. So what was I doing different. This is what I found.

If any of the five following design toolbars are activated while a form is in design mode or had previously been active in your last design session and thereby are active when you open a form in design mode then even if you don't make any changes you still get asked to save.
    • Text toolbar
    • Border toolbar
    • Arrange Toolbar
    • Copy Format toolbar
    • Arrange toolbar
    See the pic attached.

Eg. make sure all five are off. Close the form. If any had been active you will get asked. Open a form. Take note if any of the five toolbars are active. Close the form. If none had been active you won't get asked to save.

Now, open a form. Activate a toolbar and then deactivate it. Close the form and you will get asked.

This is the behaviour that I see. Hope it helps you some how.
    Tim Kiebert
    Eagle Creek Citrus
    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Real Name
    brett sinclair

Tim, yes by gad, you are right! ;)

So that's all there is to it. Well done. The only one of the five I normally have on is the Text one. So I have turned it off and .... no more problem. Yippee!

I am not sure why this should be so, perhaps it's just a straight out bug.

Thanks for the tip.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Way to go Tim! :-) Definitely puts you toward the top in tenacity and the ability to see what others cannot!

Mike

"Certified" Alphaholic Tim Kiebert's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tim Kiebert

Way to go Tim! :-) Definitely puts you toward the top in tenacity and the ability to see what others cannot!
    Mike
    :o Not really. Like most of the worlds great discoveries it was a fluke.
    Tim Kiebert
    Eagle Creek Citrus
    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Tim, that's great!

-- tom

Real Name
    Doug Page

Thanks Tim. You're da man!

Doug

Has anyone reported this to Alpha?