Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Child Table Browse Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child Table Browse Filter

I am sure this is simple but I still have racked my mind to figure it out.

master table has field called ID
    child table has link to master via same ID field

child table has field called Sales_Year

I want to filter the child table based on Sales Year and use a DDB with a list of years to determine the year upon which to filter the child table.

There is no year field in the master table

The records in the child table will be multiple results across multiple years.

HOw can I do this or am I trying something that should be done a different way?

Thanks

Re: Child Table Browse Filter

I always chuckle when someone says "I'm sure this is simple..." Thanks for the grin!

There are multiple steps required to implement your idea. Are you hung up on any particular aspect, or are you just looking for general design suggestions?

It occurs to me that you could use the Tablemin() and Tablemax() functions to retrieve the earliest and latest Sales_Year from the child table. These could be used to populate an array of sales years beginning with the earliest and ending with the latest. The array could be displayed on your form using a listbox (or other) control. Doing it this way you would not need to store years in a second table or file.

The fact that the master (parent) table doesn't have a Sales_year field is a matter of no consequence. You can run a query against only the current instance of the child table.

-- tom

Comment

Tom, humor this time a year is almost always mandatory!!!!

I am hung up because I have tried creating a variable called SalesYear, attaching an onchange event to the variable, followed by a QuickFilter on the variable.

I have tried running a Custom Query with the same variable and OnChange event also to no avail.

The result of the above efforts consistently cause a malfunction of the browse.

When I use the OnChange to run a saved query the browse does not change to the requested year; it leaves all the years visible.

When I am on a row in the browse and highlighting the year field and then do a Quick Filter with the QuickFilter Icon provided by Alpha, it works perfect. This may be my best option but I was hoping to use the variable versus working from the browse

To create the list I was simply using the DDB as a record list on the child table.

As to the master table, I just mentioned that because I was thinking someone might ask if I could link on the year, which I could see no logical reason to do anyway.

Thanks
      Last edited by Mortie; 12-21-2006, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Here's an example. Unzip to an empty folder.

-- tom

Comment

Thanks Tom. It works like a charm.

I am comparing your X-basic scripting with that generated by what I did with Action Scripting. I am trying to understand why yours functions so nice and smooth and mine works like a piece of garbage. I understand the high level prinicples of x-basic but never have taken the time to learn how to use it. The life of a salesman leaves something to be desired as a coder. My hunch is that the Action Script I have designed seems logical on the surface while the actual script is not doing what I think it should do.

Here is the code generated by Action Script. I used to conditional formats......one if variable says All and the other if not equal to All
          'Conditional code follows. Executes only if the condition expression is True.
          IF a5_eval_expression("=Var->vc_curr_yr=\"All\"") THEN
          'Turn off query in in current form.
          topparent.show_all()

END IF

'Conditional code follows. Executes only if the condition expression is True.
          IF a5_eval_expression("=Var->vc_curr_yr<>\"All\"") THEN
          'Default comment text.
          DIM records_found as N
          records_found = topparent.queryrun("Sales->Sales_year = Var->vc_curr_yr","","","No","<Cross Level>",.f.)
          END IF

As compared to your X-Basic use
          DIM records_found as N
          if vc_Curr_yr = "All" then
          records_found = parentform.queryrun(".T.","ID","","No","Sales",.f.)
          else
          records_found = parentform.queryrun("Sales_year = '" + var->vc_curr_yr + "'","id","","No","Sales",.f.)
          end if
          statusbar.set_text(ltrim(str(records_found)))

Comment

The key differences are these:

a) you omitted an "order" expression from your query definition; and

b) you told Alpha Five to do a cross-level query, and I told it to query the Sales table only.

In A5v7 you should always specify an "order" expression when using <form_ptr>.queryrun().

"Cross Level" queries are explained reasonably well in the help file.

Querying the records in a set based form can involve at least 3 very different situations:

a) the filter is applied to the parent table restricting the display of parents, but not restricting the display of their linked children; or

b) the filter is applied to both parent and child tables, showing only those parents who have children that meet the search criteria, and only showing the children who meet the search criteria; or

c) the filter is applied solely to the child table, showing all parent records regardless if they have children that meet the search criteria, and only showing the children who meet the search criteria.

Your Cross Level query was trying to do #2, while I did #3.

Hope this helps. --- tom
            Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 12-23-2006, 12:18 PM.

Comment

THANK YOU TOM!

I have been an Action Scripter since Moby Dick was a minnow and I have enver done anything but a Cross Level. This is also the first time what I wanted to do didn't work so stupid me never knew that was possible. I made the change and it works like it is supposed to.

I am always in awe what I can learn from the experts as I try to develop an application.

Thanks again for taking the holiday time to help!

Comment

Tom,

Please forgive an impertinent student questioning the teacher:) but shouldn't your filter type b) instead of this
                Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
                b) the filter is applied to both parent and child tables, showing only those parents who have children that meet the search criteria, and only showing the children who meet the search criteria;
                read thus

b) the filter is applied to both parent and child tables, showing only those parents who have children that meet the search criteria, and showing all the children for the parent;

or would that be a d) type.

Just going by what I've seen and used and read (FLATTENQUERY() and CROSSLEVEL() Compared)
                Tim Kiebert
                Eagle Creek Citrus
                A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Tim, I think that would be a d) type, depending upon whether fields in the child are used in the filter expression to identify the parents (only) or to identify both parents and children to be shown. It's difficult to discuss these in generalities.

It would be great if you took my example and extended it to show all 4 types for Bob (and others).

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
                    Tim, I think that would be a d) type, depending upon whether fields in the child are used in the filter expression to identify the parents (only) or to identify both parents and children to be shown.

It's difficult to discuss these in generalities. Agreed

It would be great if you took my example and extended it to show all 4 types for Bob (and others). I will see what I can do. How soon will depend on if I get any new toys for Christmas. (not to mention we already have v8 to play with)
                    Tim Kiebert
                    Eagle Creek Citrus
                    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X