Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Need some assistance on making the WASv7 open external files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some assistance on making the WASv7 open external files

Merry Christmas everyone to start things off. Why I'm working on this today, I'll never know, but here goes.

I created a database in Alpha Five that I was successfully (thanks to the input from a few people on this forum) able to use the 'sys_open' command to have my form open specific files associated with each record.

Now, I must put this data on the web. I have been able to create a page that displays the records in a grid and the ability to search the records. I now need to be able to attach the specific AutoCAD files with each specific record and be able to view them.

I have tried unsuccessfully at using the 'sys_open' command that worked so beautifully on the desktop version. Can anyone point me in the right direction to be able to make this happen?

Thanks
    Kraig

Re: Need some assistance on making the WASv7 open external files

In the web environment, you would create a field with the type of 'link' and fabricate your URL pointing to the filename associated with the record. Use Link Type Address of Computed from fields in the Grid. It can be as simple as:

images\{Name}

where the Name contains the full name of the file, and it is placed in the images folder under the Document Root (typically c:\a5wroot).

Or it might be

f:\autodesk\files\{ID}.dfx

where the ID in the record matches the filename, and the file ends with .dfx and is on the F drive.

etc.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks Steve, I will try your suggestions when I head back to the office later on. Not sure if I completely understand without having the control panel and the grid open right now. I will either be able to figure it out or won't once I see the options in the panel.

Thanks for your help
      Kraig

Comment

I was able to create the link to open the specific file associated with that particular record. Thanks for your help Steve. Now, I need to know if it is possible for this link to also, start AutoCAD like the 'sys_open' command did on the desktop version.

It's not a big deal to have to start AutoCAD manually, but I know I will get complaints about it not starting automatically so I might as well address this now. Thanks for any assistance that can be provided.

Thanks
        Kraig

Comment

It should follow the same rules, opening the file with what ever program is assigned to that filetype. I know it works when I open a file in format .csv or .xls, opens in Excel.

Try preceding the filename with "file:///" (e.g. file:///c:\_data\myfile.xls) which will tell the browser it is a file, not a URL. However, I believe that is automatic.

Sorry I'm not more help in this area.
          Steve Wood
          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thanks Steve for your assistance. I was able to get the link to open the file with AutoCAD without having to manually start AutoCAD (This was in the 'Live Preview' window). At this point the link I used was the actual path on the computer "F:bas/cad files/(rest of path created from grid fields)" However, I ran into a problem I hadn't noticed when I responded earlier about getting it all to work as desired.

When I went to another location and tried to access the application it would not open anything when I pressed the link. All I got was an error message about not being able to open the page.

I then changed the link to this "cad files/(rest of path created from grid fields)" assuming that I didn't need the actual drive information since the web server only looks at stuff in the webroot folder (which is F:bas). When I try the link in the 'Live Preview' window all I get is garbled code.

When I try to access through the web, I get the same thing garbled code, but at least it is going to the path unlike before. I'm not sure where to go from here. I tried different variations on the link but nothing seems to work in both places. And the only place that really matters is through the web.

I'm not sure what details anyone would need to help with this issue. But, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I don't use AutoCad, so can't test myself. I'd search the web for generic information on how to open AutoCad files on the web - whatever solution works for others, will work for A5 too. Here are two links to ActiveX AutoCad internet viewers: http://www.topshareware.com/Free-DWG...load-12192.htm

http://www.sharewareplaza.com/Amethy...oad_43214.html
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
              X