Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Calculated Fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calculated Fields

What is wrong with this code:

'Get properties of 'Grand_total' in Form 'Invoice' .
    DIM SHARED vGrandtot AS n
    vGrandtot = topparent:Grand_total.value
    'Set 'Value' property of 'Ivtotal' in Form 'Invoice' .
    topparent:Ivtotal.value = vGrandtot

I get the forllowing error:

Topparent:IVTotal.value = vGrandTotal
    Property not found

Basically I am trying to assign a Layout calculated field v alue to a table field.

Re: Calculated Fields

Peter,

Why not just set topparent:IVtotal.value = topparent:Grand_total.value ? works for me. I used a button to have the field change it but could use the onchange event or other methods as well.

I do not believe you can set a calculated field to a numeric, character,etc ...If you want to have a field set to a calculation then have the field equal to the actual calculation bypassing having the calc field itself on the form at all (unless it is needed for some reason).

Just my inexperienced thoughts on this. If incorrect or offbase somewhere in my thinking, hopefully someone else will chime in.

edit: I just got your script to work...exactly as you wrote it so it must be something else going on!

Mike
    Last edited by MikeC; 01-06-2007, 02:42 PM. Reason: OOPS!! more info
    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
      Peter,

Why not just set topparent:IVtotal.value = topparent:Grand_total.value ? works for me. I used a button to have the field change it but could use the onchange event or other methods as well.

I do not believe you can set a calculated field to a numeric, character,etc ...If you want to have a field set to a calculation then have the field equal to the actual calculation bypassing having the calc field itself on the form at all (unless it is needed for some reason).

Just my inexperienced thoughts on this. If incorrect or offbase somewhere in my thinking, hopefully someone else will chime in.

edit: I just got your script to work...exactly as you wrote it so it must be something else going on!

Mike
      One would get the property not found error if the form field "IVTOTAL" had its object name changed.
      There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,

What is strange is that I had the exact same error come up when I first used Peter's script...and have had many problems similar to his when doing the same type of value setting with calulated fields. Which is why I implied (incorrectly) that you may not be able to set the value as his script wanted.

It was only after making a few changes and then went back and tried his script again that it worked--the only difference perhaps is that I pressed F4 to compile it to see if any syntax errors and also had closed and reopened the form before trying it. The second time I used Peter's script it worked without a hitch so the reason behind it is beyond my knowledge.

Mike
        Mike

Comment

Mike

I used the script verbatim on my desktop and notebook as an inline script on a button on_push event...same results. Also checked the Alpha version on both machines. Both identical. I am sure it is something obvious that I am missing here.

Any suggestions?

Peter

Comment

Peter,

I do remember doing one other thing prior to it working but should not have ANYTHING to do with it...but what the hey. I changed vGrandtot to vGrand_tot (thinking maybe it could have been a reserved word) and then back again. It worked after that. Maybe just recreate it and see what happens??

I'll try and recreate the error again by going through the same initial steps I did.

Mike
            Mike

Comment

Peter,

I just went through the process again but this time there were no errors at all...worked right away. So would suggest deleting everything and starting over including your button and calculation. As Stan mentioned, a name may have changed at one time or if you have more than one field named the same thing a number may have been added (especially if you had more than one instance of the form open).

Mike
              Mike

Comment

Peter,
                I am trying to assign a Layout calculated field v alue to a table field.
                Do you mean to a field in an embedded browse in the form?

Comment

Gabriel

The field is part of a layout on an invoice form.

Peter

Comment

Peter,

Can you zip up the portion of your database causing you this issue so that I or someone else can see what is happening as without it I don't know of what else can be said to help out simply because what you are trying to do works when I try it.

Mike
                    Mike

Comment

MIke

The invoice form is from The Alpha Sports example and I aded a field called IVTOTAL to the invoice_Header Table. The reasn for this is so that I can create an aging report at a later stage (Using the IVTOTAL, Amount paid, Date and other fields). The code is in an on_push event of a button that I put on the invoice form. If this is the wrong approach then please tell me.

Many thanks u guys
                      Peter

Comment

The field is part of a layout on an invoice form.
                        ??

What is that "part"?
                        Is it a field in an embedded browse?

Comment

Peter,

The more info you can give makes it soooo much easier to help ya! I was going to ask for a bit more such as the structure of your IVTotal field---the width and decimals. But went ahead and sure enough that is the problem. Change the width to 10 and the decimal to 2 to match the Grand_total calc field and your script should work.

Mike
                          Mike

Comment

Eureka

I changed the field length and everyting is working like a dream.

Thank you guys for the pasients guidens.

Mike, Stan, Gabriel.

Comment

Working...
                            X