Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

xbasic code help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: xbasic code help

Originally posted by Doug Page View Post
    So Ed, I would try a test on your machine using a known, Acrobat Reader 7.0, which you probably have on your machine. If you don't, you can download it from Adobe. Of course adjust the paths to whatever you might have on your machine. The path to the program will probably be the same but you will have to point the second to a pdf you have. I don't know what 4x6.exe is but I think that it may not be dealing with paths that have a space.

HTH
    Doug
    Gabe, Ed, I agree with Doug on this one. As per my previous post, I don't think Alpha's sys_shell() command is your problem. This works on my machine and it has lots of spaces in it...

Code:
    sys_shell("C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\notepad.exe C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\Notepad Files\payments.txt")
    Ed, please give this suggestion or the one posed by Doug a try... Put a copy of notepad.exe (it can be found in C:\windows\system32\notepad.exe on a Windows XP machine) on your desktop and also create a .txt file (call it temp.txt or whatever you like) on the desktop as well. Then try using sys_shell() to open your text file in notepad. The easiest way to get the path to your desktop is to right-click->properties on the notepad.exe icon or the newly created .txt file icon and just hightlight and copy the path shown in the properties window. If it works with the spaces then you'll know if Alpha is/isn't your problem. I really don't think that's the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
      Ed:
      Have you tried this:

Doug tried it and it worked. Give it a try.

with this
      dim x as c="C:\Program Files\Hollywood Photo Magic\Drops\4x6.exe"
      dim y as c="C:\Program Files\Hollywood Photo Magic\Drops\Trigger.jpg"
      sys_shell(x y,1)

I get a pop up saying

Script Template Line 3
      sys_shell(xy,1)
      Varible "xy" not found

Comment

Jeff i try id

my settings are
        sys_shell("C:\Documents and Settings\Digitaled\Desktop\notepad.exe C:\Documents and Settings\Digitaled\Desktop\test.txt")

This dose work it opens up notpad with the text.txt file open in it.

I am not sure what to do next.

Every time i try something with a word space it will not work with the 4x6.exe and Trigger.jpg But if i have no space it works.

This works
        sys_shell("C:\HollywoodPM\Drops\4x6.exe C:\HollywoodPM\Drops\Trigger.jpg",1)

But if i add in the Program Files it will not work

sys_shell("C:\Program Files\HollywoodPM\Drops\4x6.exe C:\Program Files\HollywoodPM\Drops\Trigger.jpg",1)

Can i set up Alpha to install and make a C\HollywoodPM folder on install and not have it load into the Program Files folder?

Comment

I get a pop up saying

Script Template Line 3
          sys_shell(xy,1)
          Varible "xy" not found
          It should be:
          sys_shell(x y,1) note the space between the x & y

Comment

Originally posted by Digitaled View Post
            Jeff i try id

my settings are
            sys_shell("C:\Documents and Settings\Digitaled\Desktop\notepad.exe C:\Documents and Settings\Digitaled\Desktop\test.txt")

This dose work it opens up notpad with the text.txt file open in it.

I am not sure what to do next.

Every time i try something with a word space it will not work with the 4x6.exe and Trigger.jpg But if i have no space it works.

This works
            sys_shell("C:\HollywoodPM\Drops\4x6.exe C:\HollywoodPM\Drops\Trigger.jpg",1)

But if i add in the Program Files it will not work

sys_shell("C:\Program Files\HollywoodPM\Drops\4x6.exe C:\Program Files\HollywoodPM\Drops\Trigger.jpg",1)

Can i set up Alpha to install and make a C\HollywoodPM folder on install and not have it load into the Program Files folder?
            That's good... we're making progress. Can you go back to the last post I made last night? It was the one about running 4x6.exe from the DOS prompt. Follow my instructions and let me know what happens. If it launches from there with the spaces in the filename I'll be surprised... and confused! If it doesn't then we can be pretty sure that this is the problem. In which case putting your files into a path without spaces may be your only solution.

What happens when you launch 4x6.exe? from windows? from DOS? Does it open Photoshop or what?

Comment

And this?

sys_shell("C:\Program Files\HollywoodPM\Drops\4x6.exe \"C:\Program Files\HollywoodPM\Drops\Trigger.jpg\"",1)
              Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
              ---- Confusius ----

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Kollenaar View Post
                And this?

sys_shell("C:\Program Files\HollywoodPM\Drops\4x6.exe \"C:\Program Files\HollywoodPM\Drops\Trigger.jpg\"",1)
                For this i get a

Script Template line 1
                Function is not recognized

Comment

here's an example in the interactive window of an approach that might get you by the space problem.
                  john = chr(34)+ "C:\Program Files\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE" +chr(34)
                  ?john
                  = "C:\Program Files\WinZip\WINZIP32.EXE"
                  sys_shell(john)

Comment

Ed,

I have now made what I suggested above with Acrobat on 3 different machines all with success. You will narrow the field a lot if you would just try it so that we know if your machine is working differently from others. If it does work, then it is most likely a limitation of the droplet file that is created and then you could do some posting on the Photoshop forums to see if anyone has a solution for that. But seeing as you seem to have tried every rendition of what we all have told you, you could just be bashing your head against a wall keeping trying with your files!

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Page View Post
                      Ed,

I have now made what I suggested above with Acrobat on 3 different machines all with success. You will narrow the field a lot if you would just try it so that we know if your machine is working differently from others. If it does work, then it is most likely a limitation of the droplet file that is created and then you could do some posting on the Photoshop forums to see if anyone has a solution for that. But seeing as you seem to have tried every rendition of what we all have told you, you could just be bashing your head against a wall keeping trying with your files!

Doug
                      Again Doug, I agree with you 100%. Ed has tried (sucessfully) to execute a copy of notepad.exe located on his desktop with the path to a text file that contained spaces in the path as his argument. Seeing notepad open with his text file loaded in it, for me, says that it's goto be something else. Mabye something in the way 4x6.exe parses it's argument list...
                      I have encouraged Ed to run 4x6.exe from the DOS prompt passing it the same path for his .jpg that he's having trouble with. If it doesn't run from the command prompt, I would conjecture that 4x6.exe is poorly written. :)

Comment

Jeff, I agree with you about the parsing of 4x6.exe's argument list. If I look at the proposals already made and the results. What is so special about 4x6.exe?
                        Marcel

---- Confusius ----

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Kollenaar View Post
                          If I look at the proposals already made and the results. What is so special about 4x6.exe?
                          Thanks Marcel, I respect your opinion greatly.

For lack of anything better, I'm going to state the obvious... 4x6.exe doesn't work when you pass it an argument that contains spaces. :D
                          I didn't have Photoshop installed, so I could do any further testing. I'm hoping Ed will confirm my suspicions by running 4x6.exe from the command prompt.

Comment

I have been trying to go this but i can not seen to even get it to go to the Program Files area.

In the dos window i enter in

C:\Program Files and it say it is not recognixed.

I have also tryed

C:\Program Files\HollywoodPM\Drops

I renamed the Hollywood Photo Magic folder to HollywoodPM last night trying to get things working with out a space.

Not sure what els to try here.

The 4x6.exe is a Photo Shop Droplet it is created by Photo Shop and is Triggered to run when you drop a JPG image on it.

It then opens up PS and makes a 4x6 blank ready to use 4x6 size image area.

I have hundreds of the exe files i will be using all with different names that do different things. (Years of work)

I have a version of this I have been selling for years but i want to make a new version of it in Alpha and add in more features to it.

To see what it will do with all the exe files on a toolbar.
                            Take a look at my current version at
                            www.hollywoodphotomagic.com

This may help everyone understand why i need it to work like i do.

I made this version using another persons pre made software reprograming it for my use using the exe files i make in PS. But i have to pay a fee to them for each one i sell and i have no way to let people DL a 30 day trial to test it out.
                            So i want to make a version i have 100 control over and can offer trial versions of.
                            How it works and what it dose is all mine I am only using the other toolbar interface to run what i have made. I made all the Icons to.

Originally posted by Jeff@Listbrokers View Post
                            I'm thinking that when you execute 4x6.exe it invokes photoshop... I'm thinking there might be a problem with the photoshop interaction.

To run 4x6.exe from the command prompt do the following:

Are you familiar with DOS?

GOTO start->run, type cmd, press enter
                            when the command prompt opens you'll have to navigate to the directory that has the 4x6.exe file in it.
                            To do that you would type something like:

cd \program files\Hollywood Photo Magic\Drops\

once you are in the directory type:

4x6.exe c:\program files\Hollywood Photo Magic\Drops\trigger.jpg

see if that works...

Comment

Originally posted by Digitaled View Post
                              I have been trying to go this but i can not seen to even get it to go to the Program Files area.

In the dos window i enter in

C:\Program Files and it say it is not recognixed.

I have also tryed

C:\Program Files\HollywoodPM\Drops

I renamed the Hollywood Photo Magic folder to HollywoodPM last night trying to get things working with out a space.

Ed, are you running XP? Inorder to navigate to the directory that has the 4x6.exe file in it. from the prompt type just like you see below:

cd \program files\Hollywood Photo Magic\Drops\

the change directory command is: cd \some folder\some other folder\yourfile.exe

(or whatever the correct path is, you don't need the C:\, just make sure you are in the correct Drive.)

- The above line should take you to the folder 4x6.exe is in.

Once you are in the directory type:

4x6.exe c:\program files\Hollywood Photo Magic\Drops\trigger.jpg

Comment

Last try:

Try it with the Windows scripting host. Put it under a button and see what happens. Maybe the scripting host handles it different than Alpha, but I don't know for shure.

Dim WshShell as P
                                dim oExec as P
                                WshShell = ole.Create("WScript.Shell.1")
                                oExec = WshShell.Exec("C:\Program Files\HollywoodPM\Drops\4x6.exe C:\Program Files\HollywoodPM\Drops\Trigger.jpg")

This does work with:

oExec = WshShell.Exec("calc")
                                Marcel

---- Confusius ----

Comment

Working...
                                X