Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Why cant i make a form work like other parts of Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why cant i make a form work like other parts of Alpha

I hope i can get this across right.

In Alpha a form i create i can not move out of the Alpha work space.

But i can move a toolbar out of the workspace over to my second monitor and even Minimize Alpha and the toolbar will stay up all by it's self.

Another Example
    The add on calendar can be moved any place out of the Alpha screen area even with Alpha minimized to the tray.

Other pop up windows and other Alpha forms all can be moved out of the work space.

Why cant i make a form i make do this? be able to move out of the Alpha work space.

Can i add some code or something to make this work like this. How is it that the calendar can do this but not a form i make?

Here is two photos one showing the calendar floating over my desk top with Alpha minimized to the tray.
    The second is showing the Alpha toolbar and a form view from the Alpha tool menu item and Alpha minimized all floating over the desk top not in the Alpha window area. They all can be moved around across my two monitors.
    Can this be done to a Form created in Alpha.
    If the calendar can do it then their must be a way ??

Re: Why cant i make a form work like other parts of Alpha

I can't answer your question specifically but I think that part of the answer lies in the way that toolbars can be created.

Given that toolbars (or a very close fascimile) can be created with a combination of xdialog and xbasic you should take a look at the xdialog lessons and, in particular, the creation of xdialogs with an MDI interface.
    Finian

Comment

The calendar is xdialog, that's why. The toolbar and other dialog is probably xdialog, as well. Forms are not xdialog. That is why.
      Peter
      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

You could do this...
        Last edited by G Gabriel; 05-11-2007, 05:17 AM.

Comment

and..if you wish to get rid of alpha's menu, you can, but make sure you have one of your own that gets you to menu items.

Comment

Gabriel,

We have seen that idea "floated" before. But it's pretty ugly...

No offense intended.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

What is so ugly about it or how is it any different?
              Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder.

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
                You could do this...

This will not work.

The form only floats with in the Alpha window it can not be moved out side the window and when you minimize Alpha it goes away and dose not stay a float out side Alpha

Comment

and why do you want to minimize alpha?

Comment

Gabe,

He has TWO separate posts for the same question and Marcel has already given him a solution in the other. He is using a toolbar which is XDialog to float overtop of his other application (not A5). The toolbar remains on the desktop when A5 is minimized and so Ed needed a way to keep his toolbar on top. This is actually a very good indicator of the possibilities of using XDialog windows like standard programs outside the Alpha confines.

Congratulations Marcel on your solution.

Doug

Comment

and why do you want to minimize alpha?
                      Doug summed it it for what i am doing.

Right now i can make a Toolbar from the code tab that will work out side of Alpha.

But i would much rather be able to make a form that looks like a toolbar and have it work out side of Alpha.

It would be much more easy to design and add in more things if i can design a form in place of a toolbar.

I could use drag and drop buttons and images, Create drop down lists faster, Tabs faster and add in a lot more functions over using only a Toolbar.

This is for a tool bar that will float over another program and control it.

Can i somehow ad xdialog to a form and make it work like a toolbar out side of the Alpha window.? Like the Calendar

Comment

XDialog's are windows unto themselves not a part of a form. Look in the docs as there are numerous items there to explain what it is and how to use it. There are samples to try as well.

Doug

Comment

What is so ugly about it or how is it any different?
                          Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder.
                          Again, no offense, Gabe. But it's really ugly. In a physical sense.

Rosie O'Donnell is really ugly.
                          Donald Trump's wife is really beautiful.
                          Now I can be expansive and non-judgmental and see Rosie as "beautiful" from a certain perspective. But from the ordinary point of view, she is really ugly (well, rather unattractive anyway). You get the point.
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

It would be much more easy to design and add in more things if i can design a form in place of a toolbar.
                            Did anyone bother to open the zip file?!
                            Is this form floating enough for you? This is alpha floating on top of Word.

Peter:
                            I am not really going to spend my time putting cosmetics on the form when the person who asks the question did not even read the response.

I am only offering a suggestion for a concept and you could take the time, add the bells & whistles and make it as beautiful as you want.

You are not specific in your answer as to where is the ugly part? just saying it's physically ugly does not give me much information. Are you saying that you are out of ideas on how to make it pretty?
                            Last edited by G Gabriel; 05-11-2007, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Gabriel thank you for giving this a try but i think you are not understanding what it needs to do.

I did try out your zip file.

It needs to float over another program out of the Alpha program window.

A Alpha Toolbar can do this but a Alpha Form can not or atleast i can not see a way to make it do this.

Here is a example image of a toolbar I am working on with a drop down list.

You can see it is over Photo Shop out of the Alpha Five program window.

You can see that Alpha is minimized down to just about nothing in the bottom right corner.
                              When this program is all done I will have Alpha sent to the tray on open and the toolbar will float over Photoshop and stay on top!.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X