Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Why cant i make a form work like other parts of Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why cant i make a form work like other parts of Alpha

Originally posted by Digitaled View Post
    ...A Alpha Toolbar can do this but a Alpha Form can not or atleast i can not see a way to make it do this. ...
    Peter Greulich said it also: Use UI_MODELESS_DLG_BOX() and Xdialog to create a form that floats outside Alpha and use the StayOnTop function to put it on top.

You need to learn Xdialog, it is a very nice language .
    Last edited by Marcel Kollenaar; 01-25-2007, 05:50 AM.
    Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
    ---- Confusius ----

Comment

Ed:
      I do understand what you are trying to do, but the fact that the form is tied to alpha should not prohibit you from doing that.

In the example I attached, when you drag, you are dragging alpha with the form filling the small alpha window.

And, as I said, if you wish to remove alpha's menu you can. If you wish to have your own toolbar, you can. You can have dropdown, right click..etc anything you want. You can float it on top of Photoshp or any program you wish.

You could do the exact same thing with an xdlg and you could modify either one to a point where you can't tell the difference between one or the other. The only difference probably would be, in one you will have alpha minimized in your Windows XP or it's Toolbar and the only way to issue commands from it is to either restore it or maximize it while on the other you could have alpha window surrounding the form, or not at all, or customized to your needs.

Take your pick.

Comment

Originally posted by G Gabriel View Post
        Ed:
        I do understand what you are trying to do, but the fact that the form is tied to alpha should not prohibit you from doing that.

In the example I attached, when you drag, you are dragging alpha with the form filling the small alpha window.

And, as I said, if you wish to remove alpha's menu you can. If you wish to have your own toolbar, you can. You can have dropdown, right click..etc anything you want. You can float it on top of Photoshp or any program you wish.

You could do the exact same thing with an xdlg and you could modify either one to a point where you can't tell the difference between one or the other. The only difference probably would be, in one you will have alpha minimized in your Windows XP or it's Toolbar and the only way to issue commands from it is to either restore it or maximize it while on the other you could have alpha window surrounding the form, or not at all, or customized to your needs.

Take your pick.

If i did it the way you are saying i would have two top window bars one for Alpha and one for the form in Alpha making it all to big.
        Also a drop down list could not drop down past the edge of the Alpha window like a toolbar can is this not ture?

Comment

If i did it the way you are saying i would have two top window bars one for Alpha and one for the form in Alpha making it all to big.
          Ed:
          I already made two mentions of this.

Here is what you want with a lot more versatility.

If you wish to hide the toolbar & status bar at the bottom, you could do that too, I just left them for ease of develoopmet at the moment.

The image shows Alpha floating on top of Word, toolbar, if desired, is also floating separately & custom menu extending outside alpha
          Last edited by G Gabriel; 05-11-2007, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Ed:
            I already made two mentions of this.

Here is what you want with a lot more versatility.

If you wish to hide the toolbar & status bar at the bottom, you could do that too, I just left them for ease of develoopmet at the moment.

The image shows Alpha floating on top of Word, toolbar, if desired, is also floating separately & custom menu extending outside alpha

That dose look about right!
            Using the zip file you posted i can float the Alpha window with the test window in it over others but i do not know how to make the Alpha not show up and only the test window showing like you show in the new image the ABC Company LLC floating with out the Alpha window?

If i can get this to work then it would make designing this a lot faster and more easy with more functions.

What do i need to do to make one form float and stay on top with out the Alpha window and control panel buttons. It needs to be as small as can be so its not in the way over the other program.???

I still have not started working on adding in all the XBasic code for each action until i get it worked out what way i am going to do this a Floating form (the best way if i can) or a pain in the Buxx toolbar.

I want to get this done with in the next week.
            I have all the hundreds of droplets all ready made ready to add in to what ever floating toolbar or form i can make.

I will post a image of a form i was making before i found out i could not find a way to float it...Look for my next post i have to go find it and grab the image to post..

Comment

Here is the image of a toolbar made from a form just a quick mock up.

Using a form i can have so much more control over the layout and buttons and everything.

Can this be made to float over other programs like it looks?

How?,, what do i need to add to this for it work like that.

Can i make the box this toolbar form is in not show up to?
              That is the way my other program works it has no box around it at all?.

If not thats ok as long as just the toolbar form floats with out the Alpha window

Comment

Using a form i can have so much more control over the layout and buttons and everything.
                Yes and no! I've seen Xdialog examples I could only dream of. It just depends if you want to invest time to learn Xdialog.

Can this be made to float over other programs like it looks?
                Never! IMHO normal forms can't float outside Alpha. Use Xdialog! Minimize Alpha Five as you already did.

How long do you want to float on this discussion, time is precious!
                Marcel

---- Confusius ----

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Kollenaar View Post
                  Yes and no! I've seen Xdialog examples I could only dream of. It just depends if you want to invest time to learn Xdialog.

Never! IMHO normal forms can't float outside Alpha. Use Xdialog! Minimize Alpha Five as you already did.

How long do you want to float on this discussion, time is precious!

I was responding to Gabriel.
                  His photo shows a form floating over word with no Alpha window showing.
                  Just trying to make sure i go in the right direction with this.
                  I am working on compialing all my scripts now for the toolbar and then i will need to start adding then in to what ever toolbar i end up with.

As for learning Xdialog i have looked at this a lot and from my point of view at this time i see no starting point on how to learn it fast and the help files are very confusing.
                  I just got a Xbasic book to start with that will take a long time for me to understand.

Starting in March i will have very little time as we have 5 to 6 weddings a month and will have portrait session almost every day on the beach.
                  Right now is my slow time to try and get all this done

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Page View Post
                    Congratulations Marcel on your solution.
                    Doug
                    Thanks Doug. I have a very narrow band spectrum knowledge. Only translating API, VBA and VB translating into Xbasic. Edward gave me the hint and if I can help I will.
                    :)
                    Marcel

---- Confusius ----

Comment

Peter:
                      I am not really going to spend my time putting cosmetics on the form when the person who asks the question did not even read the response.

I am only offering a suggestion for a concept and you could take the time, add the bells & whistles and make it as beautiful as you want.

You are not specific in your answer as to where is the ugly part? just saying it's physically ugly does not give me much information. Are you saying that you are out of ideas on how to make it pretty?
                      Gabe,

My point is that windowing the main Alpha window is not a very elegant solution, nor is it particularly pleasing to the eye. The main window has too much clutter in the frame areas. What Ed wants is a nice clean toolbar or free floating form. The graphic examples he cited earlier, including Jerry's calendar, are eye pleasing. The main Alpha window is not. I'm not criticizing you, it's just a limitation of Alpha. Of course, the solution is xdialog, with a minimized main Alpha window.

Note to Ed: Xdialog is the only way to do what you want.
                      Peter
                      AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                      https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Peter:
                        No offense taken.
                        it's just a limitation of Alpha
                        Is it?
                        I do not suppose you saw the last image I attached!

Comment

I do not suppose you saw the last image I attached!
                          If you mean the attached. Yes, I saw it. See image for excess baggage...
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I think this is what you may want.

Ron
                            Alpha 5 Version 11
                            AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
                            DBF's and MySql
                            Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

[ATTACH]13172[/ATTACH]
                              Last edited by G Gabriel; 05-11-2007, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald Anusiewicz View Post
                                I think this is what you may want.

Ron
                                Ronald i DL your zip and i can not make it do that?

It is Minimized or full screen it will not let me size it down to a box to float over another program?

Comment

Working...
                                X