Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Vista Compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista Compatibility

Hi,

For anyone who may be interested good news is Alpha V4.5 runs great on Vista OS.

I partitioned my laptop and loaded Vista on to a separate partition purely to test out the Alpha V4.5/Vista compatibility and so far Alpha runs sweetly. The Wise installer still functions well when loading Runtime apps.

I have set the properties of the shortcut to 'Run in XP mode' and 'Administrator' (As advised by Martin Coleman) and Alpha 4.5 Program and Runtimes appear to be running perfectly even in Aero Mode (My apps look great in Aero)

I can only vouch for V4.5 at this stage as I have not had time to test versions V5 upwards.

Michael
    www.instantnurserymanager.co.uk
    www.preschooler.co.uk

Re: Vista Compatibility

That is good news, especially the Wise Installer. I use Wise version 9.0 Standard. I have apps in 4.5, 6, and 7. I saw a post on the V7 board recently from Alpha that V7 is not compatable with Vista.

Comment

Hi All V4.5 users

I am still testing V4.5 Runtime apps in the Vista environment and find that the nagging prompt from Vista when opening an application that tells the user 'Windows does not recognise this program, do you wish to continue' has now disappeared and I can open my apps without the intrusion which is great. This works either with the Vista 'User Account Control set either 'On' or Off'.

Can anyone else confirm this or has Vista allowed the prompts to only run for a set number of application openings? I am not sure what to expect when I ship the Apps to a Vista user.

Another quirk of Vista is that it will not accept the following script that removes files unless the fussy 'Vista User Account Control' is set to 'Off'
      Code:
      dim path as c
      path=:A5.Get_Exe_path()
      dim index_name as c
      dim files as p
      dim filename as c
      filename=path+chr(92)+"$$*.*"
      trace.writeln(filename)
      files=filefind.first(path+CHR(92)+"$$*.*")
      ON ERROR GOTO ERROR_HANDLER
      While .not. files.EOF()
      	index_name=files.name()
      	file.remove(index_name)
      files.next()
      End While
      if is_object("B2") then
      B2.show()
      B2.activate()
      else
      :Form.view("B2")
      end if
      :Maintain Choice.close()
      END
      Error_handler:
      UI_MSG_BOX("Important","Close all other programs first",16)
      END
      Michael
      www.preschooler.co.uk
      www.instantnurserymanager.co.uk
      Last edited by AaronBBrown; 02-06-2007, 04:45 PM.

Comment

I get a "failed to update registry" error when I start A5V4.5 in Vista Home Premium. Any thoughts on this?

Comment

Try this:
          assuming you have a desk top shorcut to open the application. Right click on the shortcut and choose 'Run as Administrator' then close and re-open let us know if the problem is solved.

Michael

Comment

Michael,
            Thanks, that did the trick.

Comment

Just an added note:

I have been running V7 on Vista Home and Ultra for many months now and it works flawlessly. I have a standalone and a multiuser setup(shadowed) with a mixture of xp, 2k and both Vista's running as work stations.

I thought there was a problem with email template bodies, there was, it was me.

Had I known this, I would have never gone to v8, which is sitting and has not been used. I do sometimes use it to help others with problems they are having.

I did and still would have purchased V9 for some of the features.

All my current apps are still in V7 as there has been no time to convert to 9 and I will need to purchase a 20 user runtime for it.

Hope it helps somebody.

Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I have a user with A5v4.5 and one machine on the network has Vista Home Basic. (I did not know it could connect to a domain, but apparently can if domain credentials are the same as workstation u/n, p/w.)

Running the application on the Vista machine is 2-3 times slower than other XP machines on the network. The Vista machine has 2.66 single core processor, but only 1G RAM. Is RAM the likely culprit for the slow speed?

Bill.

Comment

Bill,

Do you have the option to run alpha in xp mode? I cannot verify with my 2 machines as I have not yet purchased the runtime.

Maybe the runtime will get less expensive so i can test in the future.

Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I see that XP mode should be a property in the shortcut. I'll try that tonight when I get on their machine.

Bill.

Comment

I have recently moved an A5 V4.5 application from XP to Vista. Everything seems fine, except that the date no longer displays in the European format (today, 16th April 2009, displayed as 16/04/09) and now appears everywhere (browses, forms, tables, etc.) as 04/16/09. The application has worked well for a decade or so and the user has no desire to upgrade A5. I can't remember how to change date format. Any ideas?

Many thanks.

Martin.

Comment

Google, regional settings vista. It is not an Alpha internal setting.
                        There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks Stan, long time since we conversed. I should have mentioned that I think my local settingas are correct, all other apps seem to display in European format and the Properties of the icon calling A5 displays dates in that format, too. I'll check again, though, and post to the forum if I find anything that I should have done.

Thanks again.

Comment

Strange. I changed the Vista short date from dd/MM/yyyy to dd/MM/yy and A5 displays 16/04/2009 (yes, the full year) instead of 04/16/2009. Odd, but I'm not complaining!

You must have generated some sort of cosmic energy, Stan. I didn't feel a thing!

Best wishes,

Martin.

Comment

Working...
                            X