Alpha Video Training

Thread: Filtering

Real Name
    Mathew Conway

Default Filtering

I want to create two separate reports - Can some one tell me therefore the expression required in a filter to display records -

within the first report based on one field being populated with a speicifc value entered

and

within the second report based on two fields being populated with data (one field a character the other date)

I know that MSAcess uses queries to define this filering criteria

I have tried looking for a similiar thread to draw this information from but cannot find one sorry.

Any help would be grateful.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default Re: Filtering

Mathew, there are several different ways of doing this. If the filter is going to be based on constant value(s) you can embed the filter expression in the properties of the report layout, itself.

If you want to run a report using a filter that is based on input from the user, or from a field value displayed on the current form, do not embed the filter expression in the report layout. Instead, put a button on your form and use Action Scripting to program the OnPush event for the button. The action script would use the print (or preview) layout action in the Reports category. The action scripting genie will permit you to define a dynamic filter expression, which will then be passed to the report layout at print time.

-- tom

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Quote Originally Posted by wetham View Post
    I want to create two separate reports - Can some one tell me therefore the expression required in a filter to display records -

within the first report based on one field being populated with a speicifc value entered

and

within the second report based on two fields being populated with data (one field a character the other date)

I know that MSAcess uses queries to define this filering criteria

I have tried looking for a similiar thread to draw this information from but cannot find one sorry.

Any help would be grateful.
    Have you discovered Writing Expressions in the documentation?

This questiion is similar to your question about a filtered total in report footer. Here you need to define a filter(s) for the report(s).

Real Name
    Mathew Conway

Thanks for the reference guide I appologise for being such a pain, but this is the documentation I require as I am starting this from scratch.

Many thanks for the replies.

Math

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Quote Originally Posted by wetham View Post
    Thanks for the reference guide I appologise for being such a pain, but this is the documentation I require as I am starting this from scratch.

Many thanks for the replies.

Math
    Glad to help but it seemed better to point you at the relevant portion of the documentation than to keep answering specifics in a limited manner. You'll get farther faster when you understand where and how Alpha does it.