Alpha Video Training

Thread: current time in a field using field rules

Real Name
    Geoff Meredith

Default current time in a field using field rules

I have a embedded browse that contains the following fields.

User - character field
    Description - character field
    Date - date field
    Time - time field

I have set up a field rule for the date to be automatically filled in and it works fine. Simple default expression - date().

I tried to do this with the time field using - time() but got an error 0. I have tried various functions which return this same error which I believe is to do with the wrong data type. The now() works but this results in the date and time being shown.

I have read through a number of posts (about 30) but cannot find a solution but there definitely seems to be a lot of confusion. I have looked at the help file but it left me even more confused. To me it seems it should be simple. You have a time field and should have a function that puts the time into it (not the date). I tried changing the field to short time but that didn't help. Some of the posts suggested using a character field and then converting to time. The downside to this if I have understood the posts correctly is that after a global update all the times will be reset to the current time. This would be a problem.

I am hoping someone can throw some light on how to use field rules to put the current time into a field.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Default Re: current time in a field using field rules

Try using the now() function. I have time fields and routinely populate them with it.

Jeff

Real Name
    Geoff Meredith

Ok. I tried changing to a character field and it works. Can someone explain what the time field type should be used for as it doesn't seem to work with the time function. I know I am probably using it incorrectly but it doesn't seem to be very intuitive. The date() with a date field makes sense but why doesn't the time() work with a time field? I really would like to know because even though the time is now being stored using a character field I don't understand why.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Geoff

The time field actually stores both date and time. That's why time() alone won't populate it. If you use the now() function to populate it - you can then use field formatting to display what portion of the date and time you would like. For instance, you could choose to show the field as a date, a time, or a both.

In all of my tables I record the date and time each record was added. I choose the formatting to display it as "01-31-2007 10:18 am".

Regards,

Jeff

Real Name
    Geoff Meredith

Jeff,

I tried the now() but it also inserts the date (see below).

31/01/2007 03:16:43 56 pm

All I want is the time.

I changed the field type to character with a width of 5 and then set a simple field expression of Time("0h:0m:0s:pm"). This works but it seems odd that there is a time field type that doesn't have a function that just puts the time in. I'm hoping that I am wrong and there is a function that I've missed or I'm doing something wrong. Anyone?

Cheers

Geoff

Real Name
    Geoff Meredith

Thanks Jeff.

I missed your second post while I was replying. I will try that.

Geoff

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Quote Originally Posted by gmeredith17 View Post
    Ok. I tried changing to a character field and it works. Can someone explain what the time field type should be used for as it doesn't seem to work with the time function. I know I am probably using it incorrectly but it doesn't seem to be very intuitive. The date() with a date field makes sense but why doesn't the time() work with a time field? I really would like to know because even though the time is now being stored using a character field I don't understand why.
    The time() function was around long before there was a time data type and a time field type.

it seems odd that there is a time field type that doesn't have a function that just puts the time in
    a time value without an associated date is essentially meaningless. If I ask you to meet me at 3:15 pm, you'd want to know on what date I mean, unless you assume I mean some particular day.

Real Name
    Pete Schuder

Try this in your calc values:
    Code:
    clock=upper(totime(toseconds(time()),12,0))
    Also to have time run on screen you will need to go to OnTimer and do a Refresh Object for the clock.

Hope this helps.

Pete Schuder

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Hi Geoff

Attached is a screen shot showing how to do what you want.

Regards,

Jeff

Real Name
    Geoff Meredith

Jeff, Your solution worked a treat.

Stan, I have the date stored in a separate field. There are situations where the date may not be important. An action may occur everyday at a certain time. The date itself is then redundant information. However, this isn't the case with my application or with most scenarios I can think of so I can appreciate the logic behind it. I do believe there should be just a time function that returns the time and I guess it would be possible to write some xbasic code to achieve this but sadly my abilities are some what wanting.

Thank you all again for your help as I would be lost without it. Hopefully I will be able to support others in the same way one day.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Good deal Geoff! Glad I could help.