Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Still struggling with normalization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Still struggling with normalization

Originally posted by netgeorger View Post
    The simple letter examples I have seem to assume one will only talk to one person with one address and not mention other people or their addresses in the same LETTER.
    It is difficult to understand what exactly you are after. Do you mean that you wish to send the same letter/report/whatever to multiple people? If so, that is very easy to do. My sample actually included something like that. OR, do you mean, that your letter, to one or more persons, needs to include other names/info from your tables? The latter would be more complex, but doable, assuming there is a certain logic and pattern at work.
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Steve thanks for the reply. It is true that what I want to do from the database is to be at least the source for the merge document.
      If not be able to create the document in Alpha. I thought I would be able to split my big record up into tables use them to store all the different data and then get
      them back together in one record. based on the superkey of Client_Id. As it is, mountains of fields in the one record are blank but are there because
      it is possible they would need to be used in the merge document. The assignment process of setting the fields would select out the data
      I needed and create the result. When I started experimenting with Alpha I slipped a rich text field into a report and
      pasted the form into it then selected a record with some of the assignments to fields I had managed to get to work and I could get the data in there.
      but this is one big record that is mostly empty. So I started to look at the normalization process and what it would take to get the
      database to be normalized and then fill in the form. Eventually I will have to get the real data per client into one table to make the report or letter whichever
      will look best or work. If I have to send the data to a merge in Word or WordPerfect It would be better to have only one table to go from. So here I started to look at temporary tables and result tables and the like which I am not really familiar with. I mean, only the data I need to make the document should be sent over to the merge or in the one table that is used for the report. I have all these possible fields but I only want the ones that are used.
      In WordPerfect I would send everything and the merge would only put what was in the fields and this worked. Its is just that it seemed to be error prone and getting the address database to take things from the client database was confusing even though it would work. In Lotus Approach there wasn't any hope of using the database to actually create a document but in Alpha there seems there is.
      Thanks
      George R. Kenney

Comment

OR, do you mean, that your letter, to one or more persons, needs to include other names/info from your tables? The latter would be more complex, but doable, assuming there is a certain logic and pattern at work.
        Yes that's it. there are documents that will mention the names of various people, children, spouse etc. some of the documents can also have a reference to addresses of different people twice in the same document the same address is shown at the top of the document then again at the bottom for two different people. I can manage this in a WordPerfect merge I don't have a clue as how to do that in Word but I suppose there is a way. There is a logic to the information flow in the document, in that each paragraph or section deals with certain aspects and therefore inherently deal with certain assignment rolls WordPerfect brings all of these different documents together into one. Alpha can also put conditional paragraphs into a letter or RTF field as I understantd it. Steve mentions that letters should only be a few pages and can't reach out to more than one table but that a report could. I thought these fields in Alpha memo and Rtf fields were unlimited in size and I have pasted a full 40 page document into an RTF field in a Report. Getting the documents to look good well that could be a problem we are dealing though with documents that have been tediously and expertly worked out over 20 years. so at this point it is just slipping in the information or a conditional paragarph under certain circumstances.
        Thank you for your consideration.
        Sincerely
        George R. Kenney

Comment

George,

I never found a document, letter or any kind of report I could not make, duplicate or fill-n with alpha5v7. That is not saying one will not come along. I typically work with reports and send many letters, Birthday cards, christmas cards(too), each month/year by way of reports. I can filter as needed. I also have a way that my end users can put in their own wording by way of notepad.

My point is, You can do it all in Alpha. It will take a little learning and experimentation.

were I making a db like you want, I might would make one table with a code for each family and repeat the code for that family that would connect them. Then put a field for relation to the first/top member. Another way would be to add tables in layers(not my way to do it) like parent, child, gchild, ggchild.

Were I really wnating something hot or to sell, I would make 2 tables. Table1(master) would contain the person1 and all info with a code of some kind in a field to connect relatives to. Table 2 would be connected by a matching code for each relative. That way I can choose a person from master and prnt their info and also a list of all relatives. Conversely, I could send a letter to the master and all connected relatives.

As far as naming, I prefer "relation prefix fname mname lname suffix" if that helps you.

Dave
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by netgeorger View Post
            I thought these fields in Alpha memo and Rtf fields were unlimited in size and I have pasted a full 40 page document into an RTF field in a Report.
            George,

I would put that 40 pages of text in a memo field as part of a record. Then have your report print the memo field. As Dave says, with some effort and experimentation, you should be able to produce reasonable duplicates of your current letters/reports.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Dave
              Thanks for the input. I was getting worried. Using the Dbf Peter
              gave me I created a letter and pasted the 40 page document into
              an RTF field. It was a bit of a trick because for some reason
              every time I tried to past into it I got a double backslash // and
              no text eventually I just deleted the rtf given and pasted directly ctrl V
              and this automatically created an RTF object with the forty page
              document in there. Naturally, I had to reformat and set the page
              breaks. I had to find the famous allow growth check box under properties.
              Then I could print the whole document with page numbers.
              With the Rtf I can use the power of expressions and conditional
              phrases. It looks very promising basing the letter on the set I can
              paste fields from the set into the document. So I think the thing will
              do what I want if I can figure how to get the fields to output the data
              I want. trick will be to find a way to boil everything into one record in the
              the end which may be a bit to do. However there are more potential fields
              than actual fields in the final production.
              As far as normalization goes I can see that when there are
              two different addresses for billing they will put Address1 and Address2
              this is blatantly not normalized form but then there are probably only
              two or three addresses ever possible per record. With cousins though
              my wife has forty and I only have eight. To write a sentence with their
              names I need to figure out how to set their individual names into a generic
              field or figure out how to translate a generic field to a specific field or
              something. Obviously this is the trick I am looking for. Somewhere I saw
              something about using Collections or Arrays for something like this. collections
              seem to be able to go directly to the record and pull out the data and then the fields can be addressed by a prefix index. I DON�T really know how to
              use them here or if they are appropriate or even needed.
              Anyway, I appreciate all advice and observations.
              Sincerely George R. Kenney.

Comment

Peter
                Thanks for your advice I am still playing with the dbf you gave me.
                It is simple and clean enough I can see what I am doing. So I will
                try one thing at a time. Thanks a lot
                George R. Kenney

Comment

Working...
                X