Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

"IF" Statement Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"IF" Statement Help

I need to write an IF statement that says:

If Transaction Code = "A," then Date Flagged = Date(), or
    if Transaction Code = "D", then Date UnFlagged = Date()

Any help would be appreciated.
    Sergeant Richard Hartnett
    Hyattsville City Police Department
    Maryland

Re: "IF" Statement Help

Code:
    If Transaction_Code = "A" then 
        Date_Flagged = Date()
    Else If Transaction_Code = "D" then 
        Date_UnFlagged = Date()
    End If

or

select
        case Transaction_Code = "A"
            Date_Flagged = Date()
        case Transaction_Code = "D"
            Date_UnFlagged = Date()
    end select

Edit: Wasn't sure if they were real field names but I changed the spaces to underscores.
    Last edited by Tim Kiebert; 02-20-2007, 01:32 AM.
    Tim Kiebert
    Eagle Creek Citrus
    A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Or is this more of what you had in mind?

Code:
      if(Transaction_Code = "A" , Date_Flagged = Date(), if(Transaction_Code = "D", Date_UnFlagged = Date()))

Mike

edit---am unsure of one thing though: do you have to designate a false arguement--such as after the last date() in the function above? If so I guess it could be a ui_msg_box, or even just an "end" statement?
      Last edited by MikeC; 02-20-2007, 01:41 AM.
      Mike

Comment

Yes thanks Mike. The second way you have it, I guess that's an expression format, is what I was looking for.

And yes, those are the real field names. I should have put the underscores on them when I posted the question.

Thanks a bunch.
        Maryland

Comment

Whoops, Sorry, didn't notice that two different people had posted responses.

Mike after looking at the expression, I'm wondering ......

Do I put the code in the field rule of the Date_Flagged field, or the Date_Unflagged field? I tried it in both, but the expression builder didn't seem to like the expression.

Also, I don't thing I need a "false" argument. I need the Date_Flagged field to show the current date when "A" (for add) is placed in the Transaction field, and that date can stay there, and at a later date, when the Transaction Code is changed to "D" (for delete), the new date needs to be placed in the Date_Unflagged field.
          Maryland

Comment

Rich,

Why not just place one of the expressions Tim first gave in the OnChange event of the transaction field?

Mike
            Mike

Comment

Rich,
              I have to admit that the very details of this thread I haven't captured, BUT you wrote this expression is placed in a field rule code. Read about IIF() because I believe for a single line Filter Expression of a field rule you will need to use IIF(). I'm pretty sure...
              Mike W

Comment

Rich--and another part that may be missing is what I referred to in the prior post as the "second arguement"...not asking if YOU needed it but if the IF() needed it! I am not sure about my syntax and it may be necessary to add to my expression where i've highlighted in red along with what MikeW mentioned about using the IIF:

Code:
                   if(Transaction_Code = "A" , Date_Flagged = Date(), if(Transaction_Code = "D", Date_UnFlagged = Date(),[COLOR="Red"]may need a false statement here[/COLOR]))

Hopefully Tim or MikeW can tell us the correct syntax involved.

Mike
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
                  Or is this more of what you had in mind?

Code:
                  if(Transaction_Code = "A" , Date_Flagged = Date(), if(Transaction_Code = "D", Date_UnFlagged = Date()))
                  Mike

edit---am unsure of one thing though: do you have to designate a false arguement--such as after the last date() in the function above? If so I guess it could be a ui_msg_box, or even just an "end" statement?

Yes Mike you would need to add a false argument in order to complete the function. However I don't think your code will work. The If() function is designed to return one of two results based on a test which returns true or false.
                  On the other hand, Richard wants to do one of two different actions based on a test. For this you should you the If then else end if statements.

The if() function chooses between two somethings and
                  the If statement chooses whether or not to do an action.

Mike and Richard, I was trying to write this post as the two of you were posting so had to keep editing my post.:)

Richard, MikeC is right about puting some code (such as I provided above) in the OnChangeRecord record event or the onwrote field event.
                  Tim Kiebert
                  Eagle Creek Citrus
                  A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Mike C do you mean "OnChangeRecord?"

If so, I tried that, only whenever I try to change the data in the Transaction field, I get an error message.
                    Maryland

Comment

Tim,

Just going by the help file I was simply using nested if() functions---noting that I was missing the false arguement of the second if() function. If something could be placed as the false result (could "" be used??) then it would or should work.

Nested if Statements

You can nest IF() statements to create more complex tests. For example, assume that you use codes to save data entry time when entering college students into a table.

The field CLASS contains 1 for "Freshman", 2 for "Sophomore", 3 for "Junior", and 4 for "Senior".

To print a report that contains the year of school a student is in, rather than the code, define and place a calculated field called GRADE, which uses the following expression:

if(class=4, "Senior", if(class=3, "Junior", if(class=2, "Sophomore", "Freshman")))

MIke
                      Mike

Comment

Rich,

Should work---apparently you are intent on using field rules! :-)

Previously I had mentioned the transaction field's OnChange event--from whatever form you are using to change the code to "A" or to "D".

It looks like you are using a variable now---thought the transaction code was just a field! would have to maybe change the syntax a bit to accommodate a variable. Also, have you declared your variable as global? And are sure the variable has been set to the value you want??

Mike
                        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Hartnett View Post
                          Mike C do you mean "OnChangeRecord?"

If so, I tried that, only whenever I try to change the data in the Transaction field, I get an error message.
                          Richard,

Try fully qualifyng the field name as in the following assuming your table is called MasterList
                          Code:
                          Case MasterList->Transaction_Code = "A"
                          Tim Kiebert
                          Eagle Creek Citrus

Comment

Tim,

Just going by the help file I was simply using nested if() functions---noting that I was missing the false arguement of the second if() function. If something could be placed as the false result (could "" be used??) then it would or should work.

Nested if Statements
                            MIke
                            I have no problem with your use of nested IFs. Which when you boil them down are always returning one of two choices. One of the choices just happens to be the result of another IF. What I reckon is wrong with your code is the value you are trying to return. Namely, an instruction to do an action.

You are trying to return one of two instructions that will assign a date to a field. But the If Function's purpose is not to branch between instructions but to return some type of physical data like a date or a name or amount or as in the above example a Grade.

If you want to return an instruction you could do some thing like this. Run this in the Interactive Window changing the value for 'Transaction_Code'. Take note though that the IF function is still only returning some text to be evaluated by the evaluate_template()function.
                            Code:
                            dim Date_Flagged as D

dim Date_UnFlagged as D

dim transaction_Code as c = "s"

?if(Transaction_Code = "A" , "Date_Flagged = Date()", if(Transaction_Code = "D", "Date_UnFlagged = Date()","ui_msg_box(transaction_Code)"))

evaluate_template( if(Transaction_Code = "A" , "Date_Flagged = Date()", if(Transaction_Code = "D", "Date_UnFlagged = Date()","ui_msg_box(\"\",transaction_Code)")))

?Date_Flagged

?Date_UnFlagged
                            Last edited by Tim Kiebert; 02-20-2007, 04:33 AM. Reason: Pressed submit by mistake/
                            Tim Kiebert
                            Eagle Creek Citrus

Comment

Rich,

Should work---apparently you are intent on using field rules! :-)

Previously I had mentioned the transaction field's OnChange event--from whatever form you are using to change the code to "A" or to "D".

It looks like you are using a variable now---thought the transaction code was just a field! would have to maybe change the syntax a bit to accommodate a variable. Also, have you declared your variable as global? And are sure the variable has been set to the value you want??

Mike
                              Sorry Mike, I guess I'm putting this code in the wrong place, because I can't seem to make it work. I thought the code goes in the Events section of the field itself, under Field Rules. If not, you'll have to enlighten me on where to put it. As for the Transaction_Code field itself, it is just a regular field with a drop-down list giving the user three choices: "A," "D" or blank. The screen shot is where I'm and inserting the code.
                              Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X