Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Web Security Framework woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Security Framework woes

Hello all...

I purchased an enterprise license of version 8, and was trying to test out the security framework that comes with the web server. I created all of the necessary pages.. i.e. login page, authenticated page, access denied page etc.

I had a table created for user information. So, I went to the web security configuration screen and filled in all of the necessary data and clicked 'ok'. That's it. Nothing happened.

According to the documentation, a small box should pop up and ask me what table I want to use for user information, but that never happened. Also, when trying to add users via the 'Users and Groups' screen, it doesn't work.

I added the tables that it automatically created into my database and tried to add a new user, that didn't work either.

I am working with the full enterprise version of Alpha, not the prerelease or a demo.

Thanks in advance for any help!! I am totally clueless on this one....

Re: Web Security Framework woes

Would it make more sense to post this in the WAS V8 area than the desktop area?
    There can be only one.

Comment

It might, but I experienced this problem with the desktop version. As I understand, the WAS does not govern the settings for the WSF.

Comment

If you are working from the online help, it is incorrect. The chm help file was recently updated and is correct.

The web security system does not use developer tables directly. The user tables in the web security are built and maintained by the security system. After you configure the security settings, open the Users and Groups option from the Web Security menu. You can add groups and users from this form. You can also import users from another table using the import users option.

After entering your users and groups, you can use the publish option from the Web Security menu to publish the data tables.

If you edit the system generated tables or try to enter data directly into the tables, the system may not work. The Users and Groups form and the functions designed for entering and getting user data on the web contain extensive validation and will properly format the data before saving based on the security configuration.

Also, security is not active in Live preview to allow testing pages and components. The security is active only on published pages and components.

Originally posted by sgammon View Post
        Hello all...

I purchased an enterprise license of version 8, and was trying to test out the security framework that comes with the web server. I created all of the necessary pages.. i.e. login page, authenticated page, access denied page etc.

I had a table created for user information. So, I went to the web security configuration screen and filled in all of the necessary data and clicked 'ok'. That's it. Nothing happened.

According to the documentation, a small box should pop up and ask me what table I want to use for user information, but that never happened. Also, when trying to add users via the 'Users and Groups' screen, it doesn't work.

I added the tables that it automatically created into my database and tried to add a new user, that didn't work either.

I am working with the full enterprise version of Alpha, not the prerelease or a demo.

Thanks in advance for any help!! I am totally clueless on this one....

Comment

Ok... thank you.

However, if I want to put a signup page on my site, is it possible to make a diaog component that adds a user? Is there a function or something?

Comment

The Web Applications Demo that ships in A5V8 includes a sample page with a dialog component to enter or edit web users. Sample 8.3 "Using a Dialog Component to View and Edit Web Users" shows how it is done. The actual component can be viewed in the project folder in the demo. The chm help file also includes information on how the dialog was built in the tutorial section of the help.

Comment

Sam,

To save you some frustration, in example 8.3, if you lop off that left-most dialog and just mimic the right-most for your Add Users dialog, it does show how to add new users. However, the linked topic "Adding Users with a Dialog Component" is entirely incorrect (from the web help).

The Users table is hidden/encrypted and you cannot add fileds to that table. What instruction is missing is how to include other fields such as Name, Address, Student Track, etc. To to this, you must create a 2nd table, linked to the User table (on either GUID or the UserID fields) and then always reference that 2nd table when users update their information or you have to call up user information.

BTW, best of luck.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

By the way, you can turn off the Security Framework at the Server Config, and just use conventional "V7" methodology for handling security.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Thank you all for your help.

It seems that the web documentation is a little funny...

Another victory on the message board! :)

Comment

Working...
                  X