Alpha Video Training

Thread: how many calc fileds or error?

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Default how many calc fileds or error?

I did look through form search.

Thanks in advance!

Is there a limit to the number of calc fields or the total size?

I am enclosing the calc fields for a report. The report works fine, but I cannot go into calc fields without losing some of the fields therein. cleft total, cfinance, cstatetax and a couple others.

addressline = (if(isblank("Pobox")," "," (P.O.Box "+Pobox+")"))+ trim(Stnumb)+" "+trim(Address)+" "+trim(City)+" "+trim(County)+" "+trim(state)+" "+left(Zip,5)
    auto1 = "Stock# "+trim(Inv->Stock)+" "+ trim(Inv->Year)+" "+trim(Inv->Make)+" "+trim(Inv->Model)+(chr(13)+chr(10))+" "+trim(Inv->Trim)+" "+trim(Inv->Body)+" "+ TRIM(Inv->Color)+" " +trim(Inv->Cyl)+" Cyl"+(chr(13)+chr(10))+"Vin# "+trim(Inv->Vin)+" Miles: "+trim(Inv->Miles)
    autotrades1 = "Trade#"+trim(str(Trades->Tradenumb,2))+"-Stock# " +trim(Trades->Stock)+" "+ trim(Trades->Year)+" "+trim(Trades->Make)+(chr(13)+chr(10))+trim(Trades->Model)+" "+trim(Trades->Trim)+" "+trim(Trades->Body)+" "+ TRIM(Trades->Color)+(chr(13)+chr(10))+"VIN: "+trim(Trades->Vin)+" Miles "+trim(Trades->Miles)
    cadds = add1+add2+add3+add4+add5
    ctradeamount = dbsum("inv","Accttrade",acct,"tradeamount")
    ctaxable = (msrp+add1+add2+add3+add4+add5+filingfee+bat+tirebat+Electron )-(discount+calc->Ctradeamount)
    cdisctax = if(Altdisctax>=0.01,Altdisctax,dtaxget(calc->Ctaxable,Disctaxrate,DISCMAX))
    cstatetax = if(Alttax>=0.01,Alttax,if(((( msrp+add1+add2+add3+add4+add5+filingfee+bat+tirebat+Electron )-(discount+total(Trades->Tradeamount )))*(Taxrate/100)) <= 0.00, 0.00, ((( msrp+add1+add2+add3+add4+add5+filingfee+bat+tirebat+Electron )-(discount+total(Trades->Tradeamount )))*(Taxrate/100))))
    clefttotal = ((msrp+calc->Cadds+newwheels+bat+tirebat+filingfee+calc->Cstatetax+lemon+tags+Electron)-discount)+calc->Cdisctax
    ctradeliens = dbsum("inv","Accttrade",acct,"lamt")
    cfinance = (calc->Clefttotal+calc->Ctradeliens+Warranty+Wartax)-(calc->Ctradeamount+reb1+reb2+reb3+reb4+gmcardamt+deposit+cashondel)
    cpayment = pmtonapr(calc->Cfinance,Aprate,Term,Termtype,Daystofirst)
    csoldprice = msrp-discount+add1+add2+add3+add4+add5
    ctradeacv = total(Trades->Cost)
    cprofit = ((calc->Csoldprice-Inv->Tcost)+calc->Ctradeacv)-calc->Ctradeamount
    crebates = reb1+reb2+reb3+reb4
    datesold = if(isblank("Deliverdate"),date(),Deliverdate)
    DiscountLeft = msrp-discount
    mprice2 = calc->Discountleft+add1+add2+add3+Add4+add5
    diff = Calc->Mprice2-Tradetotalallow
    Discountname = if(discount=0,"","Discount")
    disctax = if(calc->Ctaxable<5000,(Disctaxrate*calc->Ctaxable)/100, if(Disctaxrate=.5, 25.00, if(Disctaxrate=1, 50.00,if(Disctaxrate=.75, 37.50,if(Disctaxrate=1.25, 62.50,0.00)))))
    tradetotalallow = total(Trades->Tradeamount)
    disctax2 = if(discretiontaxget((calc->Mprice2+bat+tirebat+filingfee)-(calc->Tradetotalallow),Disctaxrate,Discmax)<=0,0.00,discretiontaxget((calc->Mprice2+bat+tirebat+filingfee)-(calc->Tradetotalallow),Disctaxrate,Discmax))
    mstatetax = if(if(taxrate<12,(((Calc->Mprice2+bat+tirebat+filingfee+antitheft+Electron)-(calc->Tradetotalallow))*(Taxrate/100))+calc->Disctax,taxrate)<=0,0,if(taxrate<12,(((Calc->Mprice2+bat+tirebat+filingfee+antitheft+Electron)-(calc->Tradetotalallow))*(Taxrate/100))+calc->Disctax,taxrate))
    eagletotal = Calc->Mprice2+Tirebat+Filingfee+Antitheft+calc->Mstatetax+Tags+Newwheels+Bat+lemon
    gmcard = if(Gmcardamt>0.00, "GM Card OK: " + alltrim(Gmcardok)+if(.not.isblank("Gmcardcode")," Code: ","")+ alltrim(Gmcardcode) ," ")
    gmsapprove = If(Gms="T","GMS Authorization: "+trim(Gmsauthorization)+" Approval: "+Gmsapproval,"")
    inscomp = "Agent "+trim(Agent)+" Address "+trim(Agaddress)+";"+trim(Agcity)+", "+Agstate+", "+Agzip+" Phone "+Agphone+" Ins Co.: "+trim(Insco)+" Policy: "+Policy
    liento = if(Trades->Lamt>=1.0,if(isblank("Trades->Liento"),"","Lien To: "+trim(Trades->Liento))+if(isblank("Trades->Laddress"),""," Add: "+trim(Trades->Laddress)+"; "+trim(Trades->Lcity)+", "+Trades->Lst+" "+trim(Trades->Lzip))+if(isblank("Trades->Lphone"),""," Phone: "+Trades->Lphone)+if(isblank("Trades->Goodtil"),""," GoodTil: "+Trades->Goodtil)+if(isblank("Trades->Lacct"),""," Acct: "+Trades->Lacct)," ")
    mfinanced = (Calc->Eagletotal+Tradetotallien)-(calc->Tradetotalallow+Deposit+Reb1+Reb2+Reb3+Reb4+Gmcardamt+Cashondel)
    names = trim(Fname)+" "+trim(Mname)+" "+Buyer
    namesc = trim(Cfname)+" "+trim(Cmname)+" "+trim(Co_Buyer)
    neworused = if(Inv->Noru="N","New",if(Inv->Noru="U","Used",if(Inv->Noru="D","Demo","Prev Lease")))
    newwheels = if(Newwheels<=0.00,"======",str(Newwheels,8,2))
    revadd = if(reverse="N",Calc->Addressline,trim(Cstnumber)+" "+trim(Caddress)+" "+trim(Ccity)+" "+Cstate+" "+Czip)
    revdlbot = if(reverse="N",Cdl,dl)
    revdltop = if(reverse="N",Dl,Cdl)
    revdobbot = if(reverse="N",Co_Birth,Birth)
    revdobtop = if(reverse="N",Birth,Co_Birth)
    revhphonetop = if(reverse="N",Hphone,Co_Hphone)
    revnamesbot = if(reverse="N",Calc->Namesc,Calc->Names)
    revnametop = if(reverse="N",Calc->Names,Calc->Namesc)
    revssbot = if(reverse="N",Cssn,Ssn)
    revsstop = if(reverse="N",Ssn,Cssn)
    revwphonetop = if(reverse="N",Wk_Phone,Cwphone)
    salesman = trim(Var->Usernow)+" "+ if(.not. isblank("Splitwith"),"/ ","") + Splitwith
    tax = calc->Cstatetax+calc->Cdisctax
    tradetotallien = total(Trades->Lamt)
    tradeinfo = "Total Liens: "+trim(str(calc->Tradetotallien,10,2))+" Total Allowance: "+trim(str(calc->Tradetotalallow,10,2))
    tradeleft = Trades->Tradeamount-Trades->Lamt
    tradetotalcost = total(Trades->Cost)

Hope someone has the patience to look through this.

Dave Mason

"Certified" Alphaholic G Gabriel's Avatar
    Real Name
    G. Gabriel

Default Re: how many calc fileds or error?

Dave:
    There is a limit on the number of calc fields per table: 512 fields and the length of an expression: 1024 characters.

I am not sure how do you loose expressions when you save the window? How did you save it in the first place?

It seems to me, you could combine several of these expressions into one, for example:

revdlbot = if(reverse="N",Cdl,dl)
    revdltop = if(reverse="N",Dl,Cdl)
    revdobbot = if(reverse="N",Co_Birth,Birth)
    revdobtop = if(reverse="N",Birth,Co_Birth)
    revhphonetop = if(reverse="N",Hphone,Co_Hphone)
    revnamesbot = if(reverse="N",Calc->Namesc,Calc->Names)
    revnametop = if(reverse="N",Calc->Names,Calc->Namesc)
    revssbot = if(reverse="N",Cssn,Ssn)
    revsstop = if(reverse="N",Ssn,Cssn)

All of these calc fields are based on one condition being true. I can't make any meaningful comments though not knowing your rationale for that .

Real Name
    Dave Mason

The calc fields you chose are each a different field on the report. This is actually a buyers order that with the reverse set to yes, swaps the buyer and cobuyers information and they don't seem to be the problem. I am pretty sure I don't have anywhere near the number or the size you stated.

The fields come up missing if I just open the calc field editor and close it, which (I think) would indicate a missing calc field or a badly written one. I haven't been able to figure out what it is. Saving the report has no effect unless I have to open the calc fields editor.

I can modify a calc field by right clicking on a calc->field and editing from there.

Dave

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Dave

Might you try using a conditional object instead of all of those calc fields?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

conditional object? Explain please?

I am using a field "Reverse" as my condition to reverse names. That seems to be working fine and the calcs with reverse in them don't disappear.

The math fields do disappear. Not all of them, just a few. I would have no idea what a conditional object would have to do with pretty straight math.

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Mason

I could put the whole thing in a script, which I probably will have to do if the problem is not somehow rectified. I will completely rewrite the report before I will give up the extra time on print that I believe the script will cause me.

This is a very complicated one page report. When the button is pressed, it prints 1 page with all the math complete and correct as it works right now. If I have to modify calc fields, I lose some of them.

Dave

Real Name
    G. Gabriel

Dave:
    If there is a calc field in an object, in your case the report, and if there is no definition for that calc field, alpha will cause a window to pop up and tells you that this field is not attached to anything at which point you HAVE to either attach it to some field or delete it.
    Is that what you are experiencing?
    Have you tried to copy the entire "xy" window to Word, do your modifications then copy it back to the "xy" window and save?

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

I can go through all the fields on the report checking and nothing shows as a non existent field until I open and reclose the calc fields. I then get missing fields because it deletes certain calc fields as listed above.

I don't need conditional objects on this report because everything on the report is supposed to print.

All the actual calc fields are stored in word, but I would never copy back to alpha. I remember something back there that said it was a bad idea.

Dave
    Last edited by DaveM; 02-26-2007 at 10:23 AM. Reason: moree info

Real Name
    Dave Mason

The following fields are the ones missing:

cdisctax
    cfinance
    clefttotal
    cpayment
    cdisctax
    cdisctax2
    tax

I believe now that one calc is making the others invalid and alpha is rejecting it. It actually works, so it boggles my mind.

Dave

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
    I can go through all the fields on the report checking and nothing shows as a non existent field until I open and reclose the calc fields. I then get missing fields because it deletes certain calc fields as listed above.
    Have you tried the latest beta patch?
    http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/a...chdownload.htm
    I don't need conditional objects on this report because everything on the report is supposed to print.
    OK, but if the reverse field = "N" you want the report to look one way, and if it's not then it has another look. Why have all of those calculated fields when you can do it one conditional obejct that has 2 layers?

All the actual calc fields are stored in word, but I would never copy back to alpha. I remember something back there that said it was a bad idea.

Dave
    I don't understand what you are saying in this statement. Please expand....
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

The following fields are the ones missing:

cdisctax
    cfinance
    clefttotal
    cpayment
    cdisctax
    cdisctax2
    tax

I believe now that one calc is making the others invalid and alpha is rejecting it. It actually works, so it boggles my mind.

Dave
    Your cpayment calculated field apparently relies on a udf

pmtonapr(calc->Cfinance,Aprate,Term,Termtype,Daystofirst)

Is it possible the issue lies there? Possible that some values passed to the funciton are causing it to fail? Actually it seems that you have several udfs involved. I would suggest validating them.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Thanks for all the help! I am sure I am driving you crazy by now. I cannot add a calc field because so many go away. It all started when there was a need to add a field to the main table and it had to be in the calcs for several fields. field is electron n 10.2 that gets a taxable fee into it. everything worked fine on the associated form that has similar calculations for numbers and then a bunch more.

I am on the latest patch for V7 and this database was never opened in V8.

It does not lie in the payment function. In fact I deleted that calc field which was not used in this particular report to no avail. The other udf is dtaxget which works properly and is a very simple one.

I think Alphahas a problem with something in there, I just cannot figure it out. I wish it would not delete what it is not sure of.

I am not concerned about the reverse. It works and has done so for 3 years. It is also used in other reports with 0 problems. In fact the credit app report has 28 of those fields.

I went so far as to re-creat the clefttotal with other data(modified to have no calc fieds included and it got wiped out.

Amazing!

dave

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Dave,

If this were happening to me, I'd discard half of the calc fields and revise the layout accordingly. If the report runs fine I'd conclude the problem is not within the first half of the calc fields.

I'd then add back half of the remaining half, revise the layout, and test again. If it runs ok I'd conclude the first 3/4 of the calc fields are ok.

I'd then add back half of the remaining quarter... and repeat the sequence.

Continue til the error is found.

This will help you find the errant calc field in the fewest tests.

------------------------------

I'd bounds test each term in each expression to make certain Alpha can return a value when the term is zero and when the term is known.

These calc fields must be computed as each record is fetched in the report. They get run everytime a new record is fetched. They cannot all be run at the same time. Are there dependencies inherent in your calcs that can be thrown off if Alpha tries to evaluate an expression before all the terms are known to it? This can happen when calc expressions are nested within each other. If it were me, I'd reframe each expression that depends on another, so that the dependencies are removed. If this is impossible because of the 1024 char expression limit, then I'd think seriously about doing the calcs in a script that preprocesses all the records and dumps them to a temp table for the report printout.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Tom,

Thanks for responding!

I am think like you in the script, but making variables that will go on the report because a lot of my calcs are fine. I could just put in the money parts for the script. I think it should run on report init for this.

Dave

Real Name
    G. Gabriel

Dave:
    It is impossible for anyone, except you, to assess the validity of these calculations since you have the benefit of having all the fields and their references and meanings, and zipping a db like this does not sound practical either.

So, here is a more practical solution:
    Having all these calc fields seem like a lot and could very well be confusing, if not now, soon.

Instead of those calc fields, create variables and place them on the report exactly where the calc fields are.

In the Onprint event, write a simple script:
    If reverse="N"
    variable1="cdl"
    variable2="dl"
    etc.
    That way you could get rid of all of these calc fields that depends on the value of "revese"

Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Tom,

Thanks for responding!

I am think like you in the script, but making variables that will go on the report because a lot of my calcs are fine. I could just put in the money parts for the script. I think it should run on report init for this.

Dave
    I did find a couple of things that might cause a problem if my determination of what are calc fields and what are table fields is correct.

Code:
    diff	Calc->Mprice2-Tradetotalallow
    should be

Code:
    diff	Calc->Mprice2-Calc->Tradetotalallow
    Code:
    mfinanced	(Calc->Eagletotal+Tradetotallien)-(calc->Tradetotalallow+Deposit+Reb1+Reb2+Reb3+Reb4+Gmcardamt+Cashondel)
    should be

Code:
    mfinanced	(Calc->Eagletotal+Calc->Tradetotallien)-(calc->Tradetotalallow+Deposit+Reb1+Reb2+Reb3+Reb4+Gmcardamt+Cashondel)

Real Name
    Dave Mason

stan,

Thanks for joining in here!

I agree. Some of those, infact all of those were changed and some more to no avail.

Let me say again, The report works fine and prints as it should. I am relegated to changing the calc fields by clicing on the field on the report and then editing from there. If I open the calc screen with all the calcs on it, they disappear as soon as I close it.

diff and mfinanced are not affected. diff is the price of the vehicle with the trade removed to show on the report.

mfinanced is intricate.

Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Can you copy the application to another directory and empty the tables so we can have a look and do some experimentation. (Attaching a zip of the empty app here.) The functionality of the report editor should not be disturbed by the lack of data.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

I rewrote all the calc fields, emptied the ones not totally necessary, went from 50 to 39 fields, made sure all was working and printed a report.

It now saves and prints properly with all the math correct.

I still don't know what one thing was wrong!

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Al,

I made one very simple conditional object, place it on the report and the report will not preview. I left the computer running for 20 minutes to test it. When i removed the conditional object, all was fine.

I think I don't want some of those.

Dave

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Al,

I made one very simple conditional object, place it on the report and the report will not preview. I left the computer running for 20 minutes to test it. When i removed the conditional object, all was fine.

I think I don't want some of those.

Dave
    Dave

Without seeing what you did with the C/O, it's difficult to comment. But the results aren't consistent with the good results that I've had.

Wanna post what you did?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS

Real Name
    Dave Mason

I juust did one on a form and it worked real well. Stan Mathews helped me through it. I suspect(KNOW) I did it wrong on the report.

Thanks

Dave

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

It's easy to get the wrong concept and travel down the wrong road.

But Stan knows how to get us back on the right road. He's had lots of practice.

When you get it straightened out, share your secrets so the next traveler gets the right road.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD

Occam's Razor - KISS