Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

FTP won't run on customer's computer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTP won't run on customer's computer.

Anybody have any idea why xbasic ftp commands that work fine on my system and one other customer's system wouldn't work on a second customer's system?

One command is EXACTLY the same on all 3 systems (of course, I don't want to post the real user name and password here):
    flist = ftp_get_nlist( "www.trakitsp.com", "username", "password", "/" )

Other commands such as ftp_put_file_modal() and ftp_get_file() also don't work on that one system. It's as though there is some setting in that computer that is stopping all ftp actions. Other than that, internet access and regular downloads work fine.

Also, it was working a week ago but hasn't worked for the last few days and we can't think of anything that should have changed.

Re: FTP won't run on customer's computer.

Cal,

Has that pc had any Microsoft updates in the past week? If so, uninstall them or possibly do a system restore to see if this fixes the issue. And even if ALL the pcs have had the same updates, it can still wreck havoc on just one pc due to different drivers and configurations. I have seen several updates in the past year or so that create problems on various PC s.

Mike
    Mike

Comment

Cal,

Have you disabled all security or firewall software/hardware for testing? I suspect there is something stopping the port, program or traffic type from going out.
      Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
      Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
      New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
      CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
      CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Cal, I tend to have a lot of fun and games with FTP in general. The first thing I would do in this situation is grab hold of a copy of my favorite free FTP application and try establishing a connection to the server using the same parameters as you are using in the A5 FTP command. That at least then tells you whether the problem is A5 or an environmental factor you need to fix.

Comment

FTP access doesn't work on one system.

I have a program that is being used at 3 different locations - mine and two others. FTP functions work fine on mine and one of the others. FTP doesn't seem to work at all on the 3rd system. The weird thing is that it was working until a week or so ago and nothing was changed that we know of. However, the key phrase is probably, "that we know of."

I also tried entering the following in my web browser and it brings up a login dialog on the two 'working' systems but not on the other:
          ftp://www.trakitsp.com

I believe there has to be a setting in Windows that's causing this problem but can't find it. Anybody know what it might be?

Comment

Re: FTP access doesn't work on one system.

Try Startup / Settings / Control Panel / Firewall and add an Exception for port 20.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Only a thought, but in Internet Explorer under "Internet Options" "Advanced" is "Use Passive FTP(for firewall and DSL modem compatibility" checked?

Robert Yeo

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas. I probably won't have a chance to check them out until next week. When I find the solution, I'll post it here.

Comment

No luck.

We restored the system back as far as we could (don't remember the date), set an exception for Port 20, verified that "Use Passive FTP(for firewall and DSL modem compatibility" is checked, and turned off the firewall to test it.

The WCL_FTP.exe program works just fine to transfer files but nothing in Alpha works and, as mentioned previously, entering the ftp://www.trakitsp.com link into IE just returns a "page not found" message.

I'm completely baffled as to why the WCL_FTP.exe program works (it's just a program that runs ftp command lines) but Alpha's commands don't and entering the IE link doesn't.

Anybody have any other ideas?

Comment

Cal, before you run out and kick the cat in frustration, try this.

In IE specify the URL as:

ftp://[email protected]

... where xxx is your ftp account logon id. If this works you will get a logon screen asking for your account password.

Again, if this works then it has to do with the security that your administrator has set up on the server. He can detect browser ftp logon attempts and may have disabled these to thwart hackers. If this turns out to be so then just specify this address in A5 instead of the one you are using.

If all this fails you may have to just email the administrator to see if you can get to the bottom of this as the real answer may be not one that can be provided here.

Comment

UPDATE:

I gave up. I could not find anything that would get the A5 FTP commands to work on her computer.

But, as I noted in an earlier post on this thread "The WCL_FTP.exe program works just fine to transfer files but nothing in Alpha works..." This makes absolutely no sense to me - how can one program successfully send FTP commands while another program on the same computer cannot?

As a result of the above, the program now has another user option to chose between using A5's built-in FTP commands (it runs cleaner that way when it works) and using the WCL_FTP.exe program instead. (There are at least 52 options in the Program Options form now to all handle the various user needs - it's getting ridiculous.)

FYI: The WCL_FTP.exe program is a free program for sending FTP command lines to GET or PUT a file using FTP. It will not do directory listings, etc. - it is only for transferring files. One nice thing about it is that it runs in a separate window and displays the upload/download status. This makes it very nice for uploading large files because the user can continue using A5 while the upload continues in the separate window that can be monitored (or not) as desired.

Comment

Umm...my ftp (ipswitch) won't open on my computer only! "Internet Explorer cannot open...". it open fine on all other computers. I have a brand new HP Vista Home Premium OS. Man, I have tried EVERYTHING. Any ideas folks?

www.fosterandtheblade.blogspot.com

none of my audio links will open on this site

Comment

I never found the problem on my customer's computer. If you find a solution please post it here!

Comment

Thanks for checking Cal!

HP helped my reset IE settings...we managed add-ons...we turned off phishing...we looked at all kinds of security options in "internet options". What a stumper.

Brand new computer. The files open on the right side of my ftp. We adjusted "trusted sites' etc etc.

Again...the files upload nicely to ftp.bobtheblade.com...but the links won't open on my computer, although they open on all other computers.

www.bobtheblade.com/nov_19_road_trip.mp3

Comment

Does anyone have a solution please, I am also unable to upload file using Alpha, no problem with other FTP programs. It obviously connects correctly and attempls to upload the first file and I can see that the transfered file is size 0 bytes, so it hasnt really transferred anything.
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X