Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Function Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Function Help Please

Job Queue I have a customer table with all the necessary fields that I need for a Job Card where the customer and job records are kept. However, I need to track which customers job is next in the queue, and where to put the job when it is put to one side for paint to dry or parts need to be ordered etc.

I think a Function is what I need, but don�t know how to do it in A5v6 :-

Example: A particular train was brought in (call it job A-123) this morning and is queued for #12 (just for tracking the job in this example). Later that afternoon you finished a paint job (call it B-456) in #4 position that needs to wait for paint to dry and you pull it from it�s #4 queue. The �Function� will recognize the fact that the #4 position is open and bump the list up one with out any other user input. Our job A-123 would be bumped up to the #11 queue and all queues in front and behind it up to the #4 position would also bump up one. Queue's #1, #2, and #3 would stay the same. You then assign another position (lets say #7) to the B-456 job that is waiting for paint to dry. The �Function� will then automatically bump every thing ONLY later than #7 back one to #8 and so on. Our original job (A-123) that was brought in today that had just been bump up the #11 position would now be kicked back to its original #12 queue. There would be no limit to how high the queue went and it would be generated automatically as the "Function" would automatically know if it needs to add or subtract "1" from the queue. The outgoing result would need to be a correct queue # based on the current status of the table. Only the queue number would change and be re-indexed so all of the original notes would remain for the ID on that job.
    Please can someone help me.

Ant-Tech

Re: Function Help Please

Do you only have one table in which you are trying to do all this? It sounds like it. If so, I suggest you rethink and go with a parent-child table arrangement. The parent would be your job information and the child would be your queue information for reach job.

In this type of arrangement your tables would be linked on a field - for instance Job Number. Attached is a screen shot of a form in one of my apps that might give you some ideas. This app tracks the repair of large industrial equipment. It sounds like this is similar to what you are trying to accomplish?

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Thanks Jeff,

Please forgive me, I've not used Alpha 6 for over two years and have just started with it again.

I don't understand where the link is on the example. If there was two numbers that matched each other I would possibly understand.

Please let me explain what I need to do:-

As a hobby, which makes me some pocket money, I work on customers model locos on a �first come first served� basis, which involves each new job starting at the back of the queue. The queue positions are from #1 to #10 at present (could need more queue positions later on) and the queue is always being changed, due to the fact that a job is started and may have to be put aside (for the paint to dry,) for 3 to 4 days, which means one of the other jobs can jump the queue (*) say from position #3 to #1 as #2 job is on-hold waiting for paint and or decals to come in from the suppliers, then the job which was originally #3, moved to #1 and now also has to be put aside for one reason or another, needs to be put back in the queue; but at what position !!!.

Another example:- I had a customer bring four locos to me, two locos to be re-numbered and then weathered, and the remaining two locos needing weathering only. These arrived on say 3rd of February, 2007. The problem I then had was the first two were at #1 and other the two (for re-numbering and then weathering) were put in position #10, as I needed to see if I could colour match the paint on the new loco; before I accepted the job, only if the customer was happy with the test paint mix swatches, I would spray for him.

Then, more jobs came in during the rest of February and were placed at position #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, and #7. When the two locos at #1 were finished they where collected by the customer and he then selected a sample swatch, and I accepted the work. Before the customer got around to calling here to see me, #2,#3,#4,#5, #6, and #7 had moved to #1,#2,#3,#4, #5, #6 but I had juggled them all around as mentioned at (*) above. Now, I am stuck with a dilemma. Where on earth do I put his last two (of the four) locos� and so on�

At present I am using a 5� x 8� Record Cards as a Job Cards, which I have over printed with the information fields that I need to record (by Pen) with index tab cards marked #1 to #10 in a plastic record card box. This system works to a point, but is open to mistakes, and if a mistake is made, the whole queuing system goes up the creek, and I am left holding anything up to 5+ job cards wondering where they were in the queue, and where they need to go now without a customer work being delayed because I have lost my way in all this.

Regards,

Ant-Tech.

Comment

I understand what you are doing and a parent-child relationship is what I believe would work for you. If not, you are really missing the power of Alpha!

Attached is another screen shot from my app. It shows a work order that is selected and the associated locations that job is in. The beauty of a system like this is that it allows you too see the history of the work flow for that particular item. Behind the scenes these are two tables are linked via work order number. You cannot see the work order number in the location table but trust me it's there. :) That is how the tables are linked in a Set in Alpha. In the attached example you can see I have a calculated field that shows the number of days in a location. This might be helpful with your paint drying time. With this arrangement you could then create a report that would print all the jobs in the paint queue, drying queue, weathering queue etc. You can tell which jobs have priority by the date they were put into the queue.

The first attachment I put up in the previous post is a management screen so the user can just scroll through the locations in the top browse and see what jobs are in that area waiting on work to be done. It allows them to see quickly what is where without having to print a report. Same concept of using a set.

If you look in the help file for how to create sets. I think you might find some good info. Also, the Alphasports example app does this as well. It shows a typical one to many relationship with invoice header (parent) and invoice lines (child). Not the same exact thing as you are trying to do - but the concept of the parent -> child is exactly the same.

Hope that helps some...

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,

thanks for this info and attached screen print.

I think I have got the jist of it now.

What I don't have is the time to make it work. What would it cost to have the bones on this code wrote for me, so I could then put the flesh on the bones :) Could you write the code to get me going?

Kind regards,

Ant.

Comment

Ant.

I will put something together for you a little later and post it here. No charge.

It will be fairly basic. 3 Tables and associated forms. One main customer/Job table, one child table for which queue the locomotives are in (and which ones they have been in) and a lookup table for Queue names. This will allow you to Add/Edit to the queue names if you like. This lookup table will also be used in creating the records for the child queue table so the user does not have to type what queue the particular locomotive is in. They can just select from a list.

I am swamped at the moment but I will get something put up here in the next day or so.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Many thanks for this Jeff, but please let me pay you $50 for the work. I must pay you something, as I said I don't have the time to write the "bones" of this. If you take PayPal I could email it to you.
              "And I could weather your locomotives for you FOC, if you have a Model Railway that is."

The reason I don't have the time, is due to the amount of locos I have in to weather for customers, and the job queue is getting way out of hand and I don't want to let any customers down.

Kindest regards,

Ant.

Comment

Ant.

No need to pay me anything. I am just giving back some to this board. I have gotten so much from other folks on here it is only right for me to give back to the community. I'll get something for you soon.

Funny thing about the Locomotives. I just retrieved my child Lionel hood train from my parents house a month or so ago. It had been in their basement for years. I know nothing about the model train hobby but at least I have a 40 year old train! :)

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Ant.

BTW, what version of Alpha 5 do you have. I only have versions 7 and 8. Version 8 is a big improvement as far as design, speed, enhancements, etc. I would prefer to develop this for you in Version 8 if you have it?

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,

I have versions 5, 6, and 7 to date. i did not get the chance to purchase version 8 as I have been very ill having under gone major bowel surgery. I have emailed Richard to beg him to let me purchase a copy of v8 at the any special discount price that may have been offered, as like when version 7 was released. Not heard back from Richard, he must be on vacasion. So have not got v8 todate.

If Version 7 is used could I then run it in v8?

Regards,

Ant.

Comment

Yes, I can develop it in V7 and you can run in Version 8. Version 8 is REALLY nice. The browse is not as stable (without some work-arounds) in Version 7 so that is why I wanted to use version 8. If I develop in Version 8 - some of the features are not backward compatible with Version 7. If you think you are going to get Version 8 I will just do it in that - otherwise I will do it in Version 7.

Just let me know...

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,

I would rather you do it in version 8 as I will be purchasing a copy via Richard and it would be easier for you also.

Kindest regards,

Ant.

Comment

Good Deal Ant.

I will do it very soon for you (tonight).

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,

This is VERY VERY kind of you. I've downloaded version 8 pre speaking to Richard, you have wet my appitite for the new version.

Kindest regards,

Ant.

Comment

Ant.

Attached is the app. There is a form to set up the different queues for your work. Think of them as work processes. They will be used as a lookup when you move jobs in and out of queues.

The Job Review form lets you look at the jobs and enter/edit not only the job information but also move the jobs in and out of the queues.

The location review form lets you choose a queue in the top browse and then the corresponding open jobs are shown in the browse below. It is a quick way for you to see what work is in what queue.

I have one dummy record in there just so you can see a populated record.

There are not a lot of bells and whistles in the app but is should be pretty complete for what you are doing. I prettied it up some as well - but not a whole lot.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X