Alpha Video Training
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browse resynch/refresh - proper method?

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Default Browse resynch/refresh - proper method?

I believe in v5 one used browse.refresh() to properly update a browse after an xbasic query, etc.

In v7. (not sure about v6) we had to switch to parentform.resynch() to do the same, and if you used browse.refresh() you had big problems.

What is the proper method in v8? parentform.resynch() + browse.refresh() ?

Will this (or whatever the recommended method is) hold true, for say v9?

This is not a trivial question. When the change was made in v7, I for one had to change the xbasic method for dozens of embedded browses. To this day, I keep finding some/code that needs to be fixed. Before I begin the laborious conversion process, I would just like to have a sense of what we might expect.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Default Re: Browse resynch/refresh - proper method?

Someone must know the answer - at least to the question of the current (i.e v8) proper resynch xbasic method for embedded browses. Eh?

P.S. Once someone tells me the secret, I'm going to wrap a function around the method. Then I will place the function in the zillion and one code snippets as need be. Then, when Alpha changes the method in v9, all I'll have to do is modify the function, so if version = 7, do this, if version = 8, xyz and so on. But first I would like to know the secret, thanks.

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Peter, so far, in testing V7 techniques work in V8. I am going to convert a big and complicated app from V7 to V8, in the near future. And I'll let you know if I run into any problems. But this was the one I moved from V5 to V6 and then to V7 and had to change all browse.refresh()'s to parent form.resynch() when moving to V7.
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Thanks, Martin. I have seen some differences in behavior between v7 & v8. For example, on one browse I have a calc field that changes value based upon a variable checkbox. Here are the differences:

v5 = browse.refresh()
    v7 = parentform.resynch()
    v8 = parentform.resynch() + browse.refresh() - if I don't use both, it won't update the browse properly.

I have seen some other variations, as well. I just haven't figured out a 100% consistent method, yet. But, I agree, parentform.resynch() does work in many (perhaps the vast majority) of cases.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Somewhere I remember seeing that there are some new "events" for browse objects and I believe some (most?) of them were for working with specific cells. I was wondering if one of these would be a better solution.

Anybody know where to find this list?

I can't find it in the Help files. It might be there but not in the "What's New in V8" section and not in the first 50 or so of the list of 500 returned by searching "browse". Searching on "browse event" without quotes wasn't much better and searching for "browse event" in quotes was useless.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Russ Boehle

A search of object events gives this:

Events for Browse Objects
    The browse object triggers the following events:
    Note : Placing a browse on a form creates the browse object. There are no events for stand alone browse windows, only browse objects on forms.
    Event Name
    Occurs When
    OnExit
    When the browse object is exited. This will occur after the form that encloses the browse object is closed.
    OnInit
    When the browse object is created. This will occur after the form that encloses the browse object is instantiated.
    OnFetch
    When the browse is re-synchronized (i.e. when Alpha Five fetches a record). Whenever the user navigates to a new row in the browse, this event and the OnRowChange event will fire. However, the OnFetch event will also fire if the browse is re-synchronized without navigating to a new row.
    CanRowChange
    Just before you navigate to a new row.
    OnRowChange
    When you navigate to a new row in the browse.
    OnRowDblClick
    When you double click on a row selector. If the browse object is read only, then this event will fire if you double click within the row.
    CanArrive
    Before the browse object on the form gets focus.
    CanDepart
    Before the browse object on the form can loose focus.
    OnArrive
    After the browse object on the form has got focus.
    OnDepart
    After the browse object on the form has lost focus.
    In the following example, assume you have a table called Customers. You have a form for this table that shows a browse view of your records. When you double click on a row in the browse, a form called Customer_dlg is opened as a dialog allowing you to edit the record.
    'Open "customer_dlg" invisibly
    frm = :form.load("customer_dlg", "dialog")
    'Set a variable to the current record's customer Id value
    cust_id = parent:browse1:cust_id.value
    'Set the index on the "customer_dlg" form
    frm.index_set("cust_id")
    'Find the correct record
    frm.find(cust_id)
    'Show the dialog box this also automatically activates it
    frm.show()
    'When the user closes the dialog box, the dialog is not really
    'closed. It must be closed with the close() method.
    frm.close()
    In the following example, a script attached to the CanDepart event causes a calculated field in the parent table to update when focus leaves the embedded browse. Consider the sample Invoice application that ships with Alpha Five. Say you wanted to have a summary field in the invoice_header table that summarized the extended totals in the child invoice_items table. Assume that you had a field in the invoice_header table called summary (numeric 12,2), and had defined the following calculated field rule for this field:
    dbsum("invoice_items", "invoice_number", INVOICE_NUMBER, "extension")
    While this expression is correct, you would find that the field was not displaying the correct value when you entered new line items into the embedded browse. The reason for this is that calculated fields only evaluate when a record is in change or enter mode, and when you are entering line item records, the invoice_header table is in view mode, not change or enter.
    By putting this script on the embedded forms CanDepart event, you can force the calculated fields in the invoice_header table to recalculate:
    parentform.commit()
    t = table.current()
    t.change_begin()
    t.change_end(.T.)
    parentform.resynch()
    The following sequence of events were generated when an operator moved the cursor to a embedded browse, selected a row, changed one of the entries, and moved the cursor off the embedded browse.
    Sequence of Events for Embedded Browses

Event Name
    Type

Event Name
    Type
    CanArrive
    Control
    OnChangeRecord
    Record
    OnArrive
    Control
    OnFetch
    Form
    CanRowChange
    Control
    CanChangeRecord
    Record
    OnFetch
    Form
    OnChangeRecord
    Record
    OnRowChange
    Control
    CanWriteField
    Field
    OnActivate
    Form
    CanDepart
    Control
    CanArrive
    Control
    OnDepart
    Control
    CanEditField
    Field
    OnWroteField
    Field
    OnEditField
    Field
    CanSaveRecord
    Record
    CanChangeRecord
    Record
    OnSaveRecord
    Record

Russ

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Russ Boehle

Well, it lost it's formatting, but you get the idea.

Russ

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

That's the OLD stuff. There are a whole bunch of NEW events available in v8 but I think they have to be done in xbasic somehow.

I remember seeing them somewhere but I can't find them now - when I need them.

And, that last long list is just a list of ALL events presented in the sequence that they occur when you have an embedded browse on a form. Some of those events are NOT browse events but are instead record events, form events, and field events. (Note the "Type" column.)
    Last edited by CALocklin; 03-11-2007 at 01:32 PM.

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Cal, I think you may be referring to events associated with the new buttons that can be embedded in a browse, as well as clicking on a column title, and stuff like that.
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Jack DeBoer

Cal
    Glad to see I as not loosing it. I was looking for the same think a while back. When I was reading it I knew where I was going to be able to use them to fix some problems I had. I am thinking it was in the preview section that got removed when V8 became official or maybe they have yet to get that working so they removed it from the features. I even looked in places in v8 that I could think of as to where I could put the progaming.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Quote Originally Posted by martinwcole View Post
    Cal, I think you may be referring to events associated with the new buttons that can be embedded in a browse, as well as clicking on a column title, and stuff like that.
    Could be. Where's the Help info?

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Well, LOL, when you add a button, as I recall, there is a button that says - "how to write script for this item" or some such

and basically the same for the column title button, for the browse property ontitleclick

you can find out what to do there - but I don't know where the "documentation" is, if at all.
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Quote Originally Posted by martinwcole View Post
    Well, LOL, when you add a button, as I recall, there is a button that says - "how to write script for this item" or some such....
    You're missing the point. There are some NEW (xbasic only?) events for something in browses - maybe just the buttons as someone else pointed out - but the problem is that I can't find any documentation on those NEW events. Even the What's New doesn't mention them but I'm sure I read something about them in one of the "flyers" that came out. Apparently nobody else can find them either and they won't do us much good until we can.

If anybody can find them, then we can determine if they will help solve Peter's issues. That was my original hope.

Real Name
    Daniel Weiss

Attachment 13723
    Cal
    if this is what you are referring to here is sample of a few browses which has some events in it, i sent to Alpha a while back (i don't remember what the issues was)
    Daniel Weiss
    EZ Link Software

Real Name
    Peter Gagiano

Peter

I used the parentform.resynch() and browse.refresh() after a find by key behind a button. It works intermittently. Sometime when clicking the button for a second time for another find by key it refreshes and jumps to the prevous find poition in the browse.

Any suggestions?

Peter

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Weiss View Post
    If this is what you are referring to here is sample of a few browses which has some events in it, i sent to Alpha a while back (i don't remember what the issues was)
    No, that's definitely not it.

Try this anyone --

- Open a form in Design mode.
    - If there isn't an embedded browse on it, add one.
    - Right click on the browse and select "Events" in the drop-down.
    - Read the list of events. There is a new event that is simple called "Events". That "Events" event didn't exist in previous versions. I'm sure that's where the new events are to be put.

Now, somebody tell me where to find the #$*&#&$ info on using this. I know I saw it but now I can't find it.

(I'm actually finding it hard to believe that someone at Alpha hasn't picked up on this and said "here it is...")

Real Name
    Glenn Peterson

Cal,
    It in the summary of whats new doc ....

http://support.alphasoftware.com/wha...atsnewinV8.htm

Browse Events - New Browse Events - Several new browse events are now supported for both stand alone and embedded browse layouts. OnSave - fires when a record in the Browse layout is saved. CanSave - fires when the user tries to save a record. The event can be cancelled by calling the cancel() function. <Column>_onChange - fires when data in a browse column is changed. The <Column> events are defined by inserting the appropriate functions calls into the Browse, Events script. For example, here is how to define an event handler for the 'lastname' column in a browse:

For a stand alone Browse, select Browse, Events, Events. For an embedded Browse, select Object, Event, Event, or right click on the Browse and select Events, Events

In the 'Events' script, define this function:

function lastname_OnChange as v ()

ui_msg_box("On Change Event for Browse. Browse name is: ",this.name())

end function

Note that the 'this' alias refers to the browse object that contains the browse column.

Glenn

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

YES! That's what I was looking for!

It is NOT in the Help file under What's New in V8. And, although that page is on their site, I can't find a link to it from the main Alphasoftware site.

Unfortunately, it looks like they won't be much help for refreshing items in the browse.

(For anyone who uses my A5v5 Help file, you may have noticed that there are some A5v6 and A5v7 items in there as well. Now there will soon be at least one A5v8 item too. Keywords will be Browse and Events.)

Real Name
    Shawn Rogers

From the "Beating the Dead Horse Dept."

I feel like this has been answered, but I can't seem to get anything to work. I have a named embedded browse on a form called up as an XDialog form, with several buttons on the form... two are labeled "Mark All" and "Unmark All".

Here's my problem. "Mark All" does, in fact, mark all the records using a simple actionscript, however the little "marker" indicator doesn't show that everything has been selected - unless you click on a row, first. Then they show as being marked. Same with the "Unmark All" button (if all are marked and showing as such, clicking "Unmark All" does indeed unmark them, but it doesn't show in the browse).

I added the following commands to a quick XBasic script (I'm throwing in everything!) following the action script action, but it does no good in updating the browse to show everything is either marked or unmarked:

topparent.Commit()
    topparent.Resynch()
    topparent.Refresh_Layout()
    browse.Refresh_Browse()
    browse.Refresh_Layout()

Like I said, I'm throwing in the kitchen sink at this trying to get an instant change to the button(s) pressed.

Any help or insight would be great

(BTW - A5V8 1301-3062)

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Shawn

You could try a browse.activate() and then a sys_send_keys("{pgup}"). I have gotten browses to update when all else failed by doing this.

Regards,

Jeff

Real Name
    Shawn Rogers

Hi, thanks for the reply...

I find that if the current row is set to the top of the browse, this won't work -- it only works if the current row selected is somewhere below the top; but that's ok, I can work around that... so your sugggestion will help me get what I want. I think the key word here is "I can work around that"... is this supposed to be the normal behavior, though, to require a work-around? Any other thoughts, opinions or ideas are more than welcome...

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Jeff Kletrovets

Sounds like you have a work around figured out but you could just send:

sys_send_keys("{down}{up}")

This will send the down arrow followed by an up arrow.

My experience with Alpha is just about a year but I have found only in isolated circumstances do I have to "force" this work around. At least in ver 8 this is true. The one case off the top of my head where I have an issue is when I arrive on a form with an embedded browse form from another form that has manipulated the data being shown in the browse. It seems the browse needs to get focus before underlying changes are reflected in a situation like this(at least in my case it does).

Regards,

Jeff

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Shawn, could you give us some details on the "simple actionscript"? Preferably the xbasic equivalent. How the table is being accessed could be critical to the "refreshability" - is it a table.get(), table.open(), parentform:tables.....? If it's done with a table.open() it will be hard to refresh.

Real Name
    Shawn Rogers

Hi Cal,

I have a button on a form that allows the user to select records to be included in the printing of labels... Pressing the button opens a form as an XDialog box (this is done strictly with action scripting: Dialog Boxes->Open Form as a Dialog Box); The Xdialog form has a named embedded browse that allows them to individually mark records, or they can press one of two buttons. One button says "Mark All" and the other button says "Unmark All" (there are also "OK" and "Cancel" buttons but don't come into play in this discussion as far as I can tell).

The "Mark All" button runs an action script that, in turn, runs a saved operation (silently). The operation it is running is called "MarkAll". It is a saved operation that, using the operation genie, simply marks all the records. Same with the "Unamrk All" button (runs a saved operation that unmarks all records).

That's the extent of the action scripts... nothing fancy, pretty much doing what they are designed to do. Only thing is, after you select "Mark All" for example, the browse does not show that the records have all been selected. However, if you change the focus of the existing row to another, EVERYTHING suddenly shows as being marked (or unmarked, as the case may be).

As mentioned earlier, doing a sys_send_key("{down}{up}") is all that is necessary to get everything to show (and in doing so ultimately ends up leaving focus on the line in the browse that had focus in the first place...)

Don't know that showing any Xbasic would help here, as what Xbasic there is is generated purely with Action-scripting. I attempted to throw in some xbasic with any command I could find to "update" or "refresh" the browse embedded in the form so it would display as I would have expected (letting the user get visual feedback that all the records were selected). I put this little snippet of Xbasic AFTER the action scipt entry that ran the saved operation, prior to returning to the form from the button.

Hope that makes things clear on what's going on...
    Last edited by smrogers; 03-12-2007 at 11:45 PM.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Russ Boehle

Shawn,
    Try this, it's not fancy but will work without problems in v8 as you aren't moving the focus off the browse.
    In action scripting select mark and navigate to the next record.
    Step thru until you reach the last record if you want to mark all.
    the opposite to unmark.
    If you have a lot records to mark this really isn't that practical as it's not particularly fast.
    You can however use this to mark 1, several or all the records in an embedded browse. This is not for xdialog, but for an embedded browse in a form.

See the screenshots.

Russ

Real Name
    Shawn Rogers

Below I've posted a demo database demonstrating what I'm talking about. Open the "Main Form" and click on the button that allows you to select records.

Next, click on "Mark All". Don't see any marks? Click on "Show 'em" -- NOW you can see all the records as being tagged. Then click on "Unmark All". Same thing -- everything shows as being marked. Click on "Show 'em" again... now they display as being unmarked....

And this is my question -- why do you have to jump through these hoops? It should just show the records as marked or unmarked after clicking on the button.

I should note this is running I'm running V8, 1318-3063, under Vista Business (at home) and XP SP2 at the office (although the behavior is the same).

Attachment 13742

Real Name
    Jim Coltz

Quote Originally Posted by smrogers View Post
    Below I've posted a demo database demonstrating what I'm talking about. Open the "Main Form" and click on the button that allows you to select records.

Next, click on "Mark All". Don't see any marks? Click on "Show 'em" -- NOW you can see all the records as being tagged. Then click on "Unmark All". Same thing -- everything shows as being marked. Click on "Show 'em" again... now they display as being unmarked....

And this is my question -- why do you have to jump through these hoops? It should just show the records as marked or unmarked after clicking on the button.

I should note this is running I'm running V8, 1318-3063, under Vista Business (at home) and XP SP2 at the office (although the behavior is the same).

Attachment 13742
    Ok. I downloaded the test.zip and see the behavior your referring to. Using XP Pro, SP2 and the latest patch for V8 Professional.

I was able to get the browse to refresh with adding a topparent:browse1.refresh() to the button scripts.

In action scripting choose "Refresh Objects" then select browse1.

I also wrote a script and attached it to a new button to step through the records using table.get() and .mark() and still had to refresh the browse in order to "see" the marked records as marked.

Real Name
    Gunter Veneman

Had a simular problem with all my embedded browses. New records seemed to show properly after saving , but changes to records did not show in the browse table until I moved to another record.
    I added the following x-basic inline script to my save button:

browse1.activate()
    browse1.resynch()

Up to now everything seems to work fine.

Gunter

Real Name
    Glenn Peterson

I havent seen anyone mention it in this thread, but my new best friend for an embedded browse when its not displaying properly is topparent:browsexx.repaint().

I use :topparent.resynch() just to make sure parent/child is synched up and then do the browse repaint ...

Glenn

Real Name
    Shawn Rogers

Thanks all for the suggestions; some I've tried and had little, no success, or inconsistent success - others I haven't (as I said earlier, I've thrown in the kitchen sink trying to get consistent results without too much luck). I'll try what's been suggested here and let you know what I have good results with...