Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Error in trace window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error in trace window

Attached is test database with parent table "header" and child table "items", that shows global problem I am experiencing on databases in Alpha V8.
    When I try to create (or when I create) append operation I get error in trace window: " Error(s) opening rules for field"

This error is caused by calculated field rules.

When I make calculated field rules in set with format: items->rec * (or any other operation such as subtract, add...) I get this error, but if I go directly to items table and setup rule in format: rec*anything it goes away.

Doing so, when I go to set and check field rules for "items" table, I get a message "expression incorrect".

Re: Error in trace window

I don't understand the calc field rule expression for the ORD field in the Items table. What are you trying to lookup?

The expression uses a format I'm not familiar with. Explain what the highlighted portions do.

Code:
    [COLOR="Red"]ITEMS->REC*[/COLOR]LOOKUP("header","Doc_No ="+DOC_NO,"rd")
    -- tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
      I don't understand the calc field rule expression for the ORD field in the Items table. What are you trying to lookup?

The expression uses a format I'm not familiar with. Explain what the highlighted portions do.

Code:
      [COLOR="Red"]ITEMS->REC*[/COLOR]LOOKUP("header","Doc_No ="+DOC_NO,"rd")
      -- tom
      The calculated field mutliplies a value in the child table times a value in the parent table.

items->rec times header->rd
      There can be only one.

Comment

Samed,
        The example you sent has one table- nnidc.
        Mike W

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Wilson View Post
          Samed,
          The example you sent has one table- nnidc.
          Dig deeper, there is a database in the testit folder in the zip.
          There can be only one.

Comment

Thanks, Stan. Must have been having one of those senior moments... the lack of spaces around the asterisk was enough to confuse me.

-- tom

Comment

This didn`t happen before V8. All tables and sets and calculated fields work perfectly, I have no problems, just that if you go to field rules for table through set you will get incomplete expression.
              Other than that everything works fine.

Samed

Comment

Samed,
                I get the same errors you describe with your database run in v7, so I don't think it's a v8 issue. I started to study it, and have not answered the question of whether your lookup of a field with a calculated field rule expression based upon another field that is a calculated expression sends the system into a circular logic. One way to answer this is set this up in Excel, and see if Excel determines it is circular. Other than this, I can't see where the problem resides.
                Mike W

Comment

Thanks all,

just wanted to put this on board. To tell you the truth I have no problem with it, everything works great for me as far as functionality is concerned. Other than that, I just edit table field rules through table not set but that doesn`t strike me too much :)

Samed

Comment

I am having the same error with trace windows, using the lookup() function

Warning [1]: Error(s) opening rules for field: LOB_ID
                    Warning [2]: Error parsing 'calc' rules expression.
                    When i go into and out of design mode on a form

the expression I think is the culprit is
                    LOOKUP("lob.dbf","line_of_business="+QUOTE(Var->lob),"Lob_id")
                    the form is temp2

I then get ALL UGLY messages like set is corrupt, maximum tables open exceeded, then alpha does a forced shut down when i try to close and reopen.

I am using a Mapped table for a lookup in some of these.
                    Logical Design
                    Keven Thibeault
                    Boston, Massachusetts
                    Dwell in possibility

Comment

No temp2 form in the database.

The error goes away if I edit the field rule for lob_id, set the data entry default mode to simple default expression and enter a default value "seed" of "00000000".
                      Last edited by Stan Mathews; 05-02-2008, 05:07 PM.
                      There can be only one.

Comment

samed:
                        This might sound crazy and illogical, but I think there is reason behind this maddness.

I got rid of the error.

Here is what you do:

Change the expression of the ORD field in Items table (calc field) in the field rules from:

ITEMS->REC*LOOKUP("header","Doc_No ="+DOC_NO,"rd")

to:

REC*LOOKUP("header","Doc_No ="+DOC_NO,"rd")

No more errors.
                        Last edited by G Gabriel; 05-02-2008, 05:20 PM.

Comment

good catch - that was the first thing I thought of

since you are presumeably putting the field rule in the ITEMS table you would not need to reference it ITEMS->REC
                          Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                          972 524 8714
                          [email protected]

Comment

since you are presumeably putting the field rule in the ITEMS table you would not need to reference it ITEMS->REC
                            Normally that shouldn't matter but the question is: why does it?

Answer:
                            there is reason behind this maddness.

Comment

Working...
                            X