Alpha Video Training

Thread: Easy way to update a value for VAT

Real Name
    Adrian Williams

Default Easy way to update a value for VAT

I'm working on a project that will finally be a runtime application only. I welcome guidance on the best way for the end-user to be able to modify the value for value added tax, currently at 17.5%. If this changes, the user can change the value without the need fo the application to be updated. This variable (presumably a global variable) will then be used to generate the correct amount for all invoices produced.
    Thanks in advance.
    Adrian.

Real Name
    John Gamble

Default Re: Easy way to update a value for VAT

Adrian

Have you considered a single record control file.

This would contain the tax rate as well as any other static data pertaining to the customer.

John

Real Name
    Dave Mason

adrian,

My startup form is based omn comp.dbf. The Comp table has all the static tax rates and fees necessary to run a complicated financial form based on a set.

I included the comp table in my set as a one to one child. This gives me all the comp table records to use. The best one though is having those values put into variables on start up from the comp table. I can then use them anywhere.

There is a way to change any or all the tax rates from the comp table by way of a from.

The figures/tax rates can be changed at anytime, but the app needs to be restarted for the variables to be picked up.

Hope I helped.
    Dave

Real Name
    Mike Vance

I would have a field in the Customer master record file which holds the default tax rate for exch customer e.g. rate A for 17.5% or Z for zero rated. Then the rates can be changed in the Rates file at any time.

Use the default tax rate for the customer on the invoice form - either to show the tax for each invoice line or at the bottom of the invoice. If a lookup to the tax file is used you can have varying rates on the invoice should these be needed.

Real Name
    Adrian Williams

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I'll have a try and feedback on the outcome.:)

Real Name
    Chris Hawkes

Adrian

I have to concur with John, Dave, and Mike

I have a complete accounts suite that I've developed and the main customer of mine that uses it has quite a few VAT rates. Because of the nature of his business, he has to have an 8% VAT as well as zero and standard. In addition to this they also export to the EC which has its own set of rules.

Because of all this I have a separate table which holds 10 VAT rates, v0 -v9. When the customer enters an invoice (or any other type of vatable document) he chooses which VAT rate (from the VAT lookup table) to use applicable to the sale. They can amend the VAT rates at any time that current legislation so dictates.

I would have to say that this is really the only way to go.

Chris
    If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!

Real Name
    Adrian Williams

Thanks again for all your suggestions.
    My final approach was to create a table containing a single record. (I've read the thread on single record tables ;) ) It's got more than one field as I'm using the same approach to allow modification to a rate to a particular task.
    On startup, I'm using the autoexec script to post the values to global variables and use those throughout. If the user needs to change the values, a simple form allows the value to be changed and the autoexec script is then called on closure of the form to update the global variables.