Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha and Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha and Vista

Does A5v7 work with Vista? I am having issues and when I open a database it starts deleting my data when I go into a field? Do I have to set anything up differently. It also says "could not open or create multi-user information for the file but I am in single user?

Thanks

Ted

Re: Alpha and Vista

Originally posted by Saltman View Post
    Does A5v7 work with Vista? I am having issues and when I open a database it starts deleting my data when I go into a field? Do I have to set anything up differently. It also says "could not open or create multi-user information for the file but I am in single user?

Thanks

Ted
    You need A5V8 to run under vista.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
      You need A5V8 to run under vista.
      :( I guess the evidence is in.
      Jim

Comment

I reloaded A5v7 and seems to be ok. I had to take some databases from my control panel and bring them back in. I see no problems now. I will let you know if I find any major problems.

Ted

Comment

this information is posted as a link off the alphasoftware.com home page

Alpha Five and Windows Vista

Windows Vista is a significant departure from previous Microsoft operating systems and has required a tremendous effort on the part of software vendors to rewrite many of their products. A quick look at computer-related news headlines reveals the extent of the incompatibilities that have been introduced and the software upgrades required. Many vendors do not yet have a Vista-capable upgrade available and will not for quite some time.
          A significant effort has gone into Alpha Five Version 8 to make it Vista capable. As a result, Alpha Five Version 8 is the only version of Alpha Five which will run properly with Windows Vista.
          Customers have reported attempts at a number of work-arounds to use older versions of Alpha Five with Windows Vista and the results we have received have been mixed. Because of this, Alpha Software cannot support any version of Alpha Five other than Version 8 on Windows Vista. Furthermore, we recommend against attempting any such work-around due to the possibility of unpredictable behavior.
          Richard Rabins
          Co Chairman
          Alpha Software

Comment

I have found that with vista giving yourself security access for each program you are running lets the program operate much better. I did this with Quickbooks and Alpha and so far there are no problems. I had to start with Admin rights first. I am hoping it continues to be flawless.

Like with all programs, vista will have to be used by everyone eventually since support and drivers go away with time. We can't always buy new programs to keep up with operating systems and it frustrates all of us. Seems to only be good for software companies and Bill Gates especially.

I know I will have to go to version 8 soon, but just getting used to 7.

Thanks,

Ted Arunski

Comment

Originally posted by Saltman View Post
              I have found that with vista giving yourself security access for each program you are running lets the program operate much better. I did this with Quickbooks and Alpha and so far there are no problems. I had to start with Admin rights first. I am hoping it continues to be flawless.

Like with all programs, vista will have to be used by everyone eventually since support and drivers go away with time. We can't always buy new programs to keep up with operating systems and it frustrates all of us. Seems to only be good for software companies and Bill Gates especially.

I know I will have to go to version 8 soon, but just getting used to 7.

Thanks,

Ted Arunski
              Thanks for the observations, Ted! I understand why Alpha Software would not assure compatibility and give support in this type of situation, but I too would like to know the basics of my V7 better before going after the bells and whistles of V8.

Please keep us informed of your experiences with V7 on Vista. I'm sure others wouldn't mind.
              Jim

Comment

I have to say I am most dissapointed. I installed Vista and then Alpha Five V7. It seemed to go fairly well but have found 2 problems, thats why I visited here. Firstly it reports that access is denied for start up and then when I load a previously created database it does not remember it in the opening dialoge.
                I now find that I HAVE to upgrade a program which I only purchased a short time ago by my standards!!!
                I have been a user of Alpha for a long while, one of my applications go back further than I care to remember useing V4.
                Although my application seems to (almost) work haveing read that I have to upgrade to V8 has finally knocked my 'love' for the application. How long will it be before i am obliged to spend more money.
                It looks as if I will now have to finally learn Access and spend a lot of time developing my applications there unless others know better.

I have now seen that it costs $139 to upgrade. Now here in rip off UK it cost me �62 to have a copy of Vista Home Premium and I am expected to pay $139 for Alpha Five V8, I am just not on that planet!!!!
                I started useing Alpha as it was easy to use and not expensive. I have just been priced out of the market.
                Last edited by pewtu; 03-26-2007, 06:10 AM.

Comment

When A5V7 was introduced, Vista wasn't even announced. Why don't you blame this on Microsoft instead of the program vendor? How many other programs and drivers will you find that are not Vista compatible? I think there are many in that category. Will you also blame that on the program or will you properly place the blame on Microsoft?

Microsoft has a way of making old programs incompatible every time they bring out a new operating system. It makes me angry, too but I don't blame program vendor, I blame Microsoft.

Comment

So far, Alpha Five V7 is the only application that does not work or does not have a downloadable fix/upgrade. Obviously there may be one that gets thrown up in the future. In fact Vista installed very well, found my network without any intervention, more than what XP did. Interesting though that Microsoft are always blamed for their high priceing but it does look as if the tables are turned on this one. �62 for Vista (Clean install) $139 for upgrade to Alpha (although that may well be a clean install as well). Still a lot of money.

Comment

Microsoft may sell about 40 million copies of Vista over the run. I doubt other vendors will sell that many copies all together. Big difference in revenues.

I also remember when windows first came out and everybody thought their old dos programs would then be able to use a mouse. HA!

We did not get our windows version of our Finance program running until about 98(win 98 was out). It had major problems with xp too. It currently will not run in Vista( expected to be ready in November). Oh, It is written in Microsoft Visual Basic. Imagine that!

Dave
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Yes DavM I agree, in fact Microsoft has sold nearly 20M copies of Vista so far I understand. I cannot agree with Ohlen Cartmell entirely about Microsoft makeing old programs incompatable every time they release an operating system. There may have had to be fixes in some, but not all cases. Yes Windows 3.1 to Windows 98 was a leap. I have to report, as I like to be fair that my copy of PDF converter is not compatable with Vista, thats a �30 application which in fact I can now replace with a freeby anyway.
                        It was my choice to go to Vista on one of our computers and so I suffer the consequences of Alpha priceing. May I remind people a while back that when version 7 was released, I think I have the right version numbers, I was offered an upgrade from my version for about $139. On the cover of a UK mag was a free version 4.5 with an upgrade offer to 7 at less than $139. Need I say more.
                        I used 4.5 for free, this was a later version that what I had and also got an upgrade for less than what Alpha offered me as a previous customer..

I did clarify with Alpha that I would have to pay $139 and received a curt email giving a link to the store saying I got a 15% discount. However, it seems full price is $199 and upgrade is $139. Must admit, cannot see how 15% comes into that calculation at all, have I missed something somewhere?

However, my cheapest way out is to keep my old HD with XP on it and V7 and boot to it when I need to use a database application.

Comment

Pewtu,

Purchasing a NEW OS is something worthy of great consideration especially when there are thousands of discussions all over the internet (read FREE) saying how Vista was to break most major applications. Funny enough, Office 2003 won't even run properly which is why MS released Office 2007 at the exact same time.

If you dare to get a handle on what Vista is doing differently, then you would be able to get most applications to work. You would, however, break some of the security that Vista is now building in to itself. But you don't HAVE to upgrade. However, since you will be running applications in a non Microsoft standard, then you can't expect support either.

So, if you don't understand what Vista is doing, then buying a bleeding-edge OS right at the beginning of its release is a very dangerous practice. You would be best to wait until others have gone ahead of you that might have much more technical expertise. The two problems that you mentioned you had with Alpha were exactly what has been discussed for months as the problems most apps were going to experience and would have been self evident if you had understood what the changes Vista was making in the basic ways applications behave.

As for Alpha Five, let's not forget that it is something much more sophisticated than just a PDF program and needs to touch areas of the OS that Vista is now actively protecting. No one, including Alpha, can predict what MS is going to do with THEIR software. If you think you are having problems with Vista as a 32 bit OS, wait until you try this as a 64 bit OS which is the way of the future. Unless all the hardware on your computer is current and from companies who are actively creating new drivers for all your periperals, then you will also be buying a new computer as well as new software. This isn't Alphas fault either.

Comment

Originally posted by pewtu View Post
                            However, it seems full price is $199 and upgrade is $139. Must admit, cannot see how 15% comes into that calculation at all, have I missed something somewhere?
                            The price for the desktop version of Alpha Five Version 8 upgrade is $139

Under the 15% promotion http://www.alphasoftware.com/postcard/ the 15% coupon will show up in the shopping basket
                            Richard Rabins
                            Co Chairman
                            Alpha Software

Comment

All the more reason to make A5 run under Linux.
                              Tommy Thompson
                              Thompson Consulting Services
                              Beautiful Kentucky Lake, Springville, TN 38256
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X