Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha and Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alpha and Vista

Thanks for that Richard Rabins. I have to say I did not catch on that the 15% would be shown once I had clicked the 'Buy Now'. Until then it was only apparent that the 15% was on the second purchase.
    As for the comments about purchaseing Vista without understanding how it works and it breaking most majour applications is a bit OTT. As for PDF creator which I mentioned, no way was I compareing a �30 piece of software to a hefty one. I was just pointing out that 'yes, I have found something which I own that does not work as well as Alpha Five V7'.
    I will now plunge in, the torent of critism that has ensued from my original post is typical of those that want to knock Microsoft. I stand by my comment, I am dissapointed... etc.'
    However, Alpha has reseemed itself a bit by looking and responding to my post 'have I missed something'
    I have now found the extra 15% discount.
    I may now get out my MasterCard - Not Visa (or is that Vista)

Comment

Pewtu,

Sorry if I sounded like I was being critical. I am a user of many MS products for over 20 years. I also think that Vista is a complete step in the right direction for the OS as it is much more secure - though the 32 bit version less so. But I knew it was going to break many of the $1000's I have spent on software so I make sure that I purchase XP machines while I still can. I consider myself quite knowledgeable (that could be a problem) but I would rather wait until the dust settles on Vista and they have released at minimum SP1 - still too many bugs even after their largest beta test.

I was trying to say that YES you should be disappointed but that perhaps your disappointment might best be directed somewhere other than Alpha Software. Every other major software house is having to rewrite for Vista not just Alpha. Heck, have a look at your favorite firewall software company. They have effectively been put out of business right now for Vista since it won't allow them to install themselves.

Anyhow, just wanted to clarify after your last post. It's usually posts like this that help bring new info to everyone.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by pewtu View Post
        then when I load a previously created database it does not remember it in the opening dialoge.
        Kevin, have you activated your copy of Alpha Five? I had a similar problem with a trial version of V7 installed on Windows XP. It cleared up after activation of V7.

Just a thought.
        Jim

Comment

Three things.
          Firstly, OK, I am disappointed at ANY software house where the cost of using software, that has been relatively recently purchased, is large because of a required upgrade due to Vista. My account shows that I downloaded V7 less than a year ago, as a free upgrade from V6? which I purchased. I am not in the league of �1000's of software. In fact I am little more than a home user, just liking to get something to use a database for. Now is that an anorak???? The main application I have developed runs the accounts for a local community free magazine.
          Secondly, I did try and activate my V7 on Vista and activation looked as if it stalled. I do not get the messages saying that it is not registered however. Perhaps I should try it again.
          Thirdly, I have paid and downloaded V8. I am now thinking that in fact I should have downloaded a trial of 8.
          At least the 15% discount which I could not find at first has helped matters.

Comment

You have my sympathies. My own decision whether to buy a new computer with Vista has been vastly complicated by the fact that V7 actually may not run on Vista. And I do not want to give up V7 when I have only scratched its surface.

the cost of using software, that has been relatively recently purchased, is large because of a required upgrade due to Vista.
            The fact is that Vista compatibility is not all that V8 is about. Far from it. If you look at the new features advertised on their web site, it does look like a major new release.
            Jim

Comment

Kevin,

As I do not use Vista, I can't verify what will or will not work. Just took a look at MS's website and there was info there on how to try and get Visual Studio 2005 to work under Vista.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa972193.aspx

You might try these tricks and see if that helps you get past the problems you outlined above. Both of your problems appear to be the result of Vista not allowing anything to be written to the Program Files directory tree. If you alter the privileges for the Alpha Five directory, then you might just get things going. Understand that when you do this, you are lowering the new security model for Vista. This problem, however, is one of the biggest headaches in trying to get previous versions of software to work as the original programming model as used by MS and everyone else was to write to files in their directory under the Program Files tree.

Don't know whether this will solve your problems but worth a try. As evidenced by all the other problems that still exist for MS Visual Studio after these changes, it may only solve a few problems.

HTH
              Doug

Comment

Originally posted by jmatienza View Post
                The fact is that Vista compatibility is not all that V8 is about. Far from it. If you look at the new features advertised on their web site, it does look like a major new release.
                I think that Jose Manuel Atienza makes a good point in the quote above.

If Version 8 was only about Vista compability, then we would have felt uncomfortable with charging for it (even though it took a signficant development effort on our part.)

The reality is that Version 8 is a very comprehensive upgrade that we are receiving excellent feedack on :

Customer quotes: http://www.alphasoftware.com/AlphaFive/ProductTour/what_they_say_01.asp

Alpha Five Blog http://www.alphasoftware.blogspot.com/

Details of What is new in Version 8:
                Richard Rabins
                Co Chairman
                Alpha Software

Comment

I am currently running A5v6 on a network and now have a Vista laptop. If I upgrade the laptop to V8 will I still be able to copy the .dbf files backwards into V6. I don't want to change the entire system over just yet since I just finished training a new foreman but want to be able to use the new laptop. I don't need to rewrite anything in V8 yet but just be able to copy the .dbf file updated in 8 and use it in 6

Thanks

Comment

Is it possible to install v8 into a folder created on the root of c:\ instead of into program files? We first got our programs to run on XP using this technique. At least put the applications on the c drive.

Dave
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                    X