Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

CPU maxed under V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU maxed under V8

My notebook is running XP Home V2002, SP2. Has a 1.30 GHz Celeron with 496MB of RAM. I have an networked app that ran fine shadowed under V7. Under V8, however, some operations and scripts cause the CPU (when viewed under Windows Task Manager) to go to 100% usage and stay there, effectively locking up the app.

My desktop production PC is W2K Pro SP4, Athlon processor and 458MB of RAM, and all scripts and operations work fine.

Anyone else experienced this? Seems like Selwyn posted some code to disable the caching feature of V8, but I can't find it.

Bob Arbuthnot

Re: CPU maxed under V8

I get the same scenario with a second notebook, this one runs XP Home, V2002, SP2 with an AMD Sempron 3300+, 797 mHz and 384 Mb RAM. The CPU hits 100% in the same routines and locks up the application.

Interestingly, on both notebooks, if I open the application un-shadowed all routines run, though more slowly than they used to run under V7.

I'm wondering if there's an XP setting that needs to be set for V8 that wasn't necessary under V7? Also, has Alpha stated minimum H/W requirements for V8? If they have, I couldn't find them in the help files or the web site.

If anyone has any thoughts as to what's going on I would appreciate hearing them.

Bob Arbuthnot

Comment

this is a 25 cent guess, but you may be hitting the swap file. try increasing the memory to 1 gig on one and see what happens.

the laptop may be using memory for managing the video and leaving you with too little
      Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
      972 524 8714
      [email protected]

Comment

Definetly add more memory if you can. V8.0 runs much faster on my Dual core 2.8 mhZ desktop with 2 GIG of ram than v7.0 did. And the V8.0 Runtime even runs a little faster on my really old 333 mhZ laptop with 96 MB of RAM. And Alpha has greatly improved the re-drawing of screens - especially with Bitmaps on them. Since you can't add a video card to your laptop, your video adapter is sharing your system ram - which slows things down a lot. Put more memory in and I'll bet you will see v8.0 is faster than 7.0.

Comment

Thanks for replying Martin and Dave,

First, is a swap file the same as a paging file? If it is, then, Martin, I followed your $0.25 advice and increased the file size first to 1000Mb and then to 4096 Mb (apparently the max allowed by XP). Neither change made any difference.

Interestingly, as I said before, when I first navigate to the db on the network from the Runtime notebook, the operations and scripts all run fine unshadowed. When I first create the shadowed database from the Control Panel on the Runtime notebook, the operations and scripts all run fine, also. It's only when I create the desktop icon, close the app and then reopen using the desktop icon that some of my operations and scripts take the CPU to 100% and it stays there, locking up the app.

Any other thoughts? Anyone?

Bob Arbuthnot

Comment

I wonder if there is something in the app causing this as apparently others aren't seeing it. (I haven't set up the v8 runtime yet.)
            I think you can check this out 1 step at a time.
            Check the Icon and make sure it actually is referencing the shadow.
            Try making a small app and see if you get the problem.
            If not try making a small app that is part of your larger app and see if that works.

Is there anything in your autoexec script that might be calling a hard coded path?

There appears to be something abnormal going on and it might take some effort to find it.
            Unless someone else has something more specific it is probably going to be trial and error.
            This probably isn't much help, but it may not be a simple problem.

Russ

Comment

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. The icon does point to the shadowed data base folder. The application opens fine and the processor goes to 0 after it opens. So I don't think it has anything to do with the autoexec, but I might be wrong. Beyond that I'm thinking the most efficient answer would be to invest in more memory (I was just pricing 1Gb sticks online when you posted).

Bob

Comment

Just to close out this thread...

1) Purchased 1Gb of RAM (to make a total of 1.25Gb), installed last evening, problem persisted.
                2) Had day off today and wanted to get to bottom of this, so installed full version on notebook PC (so I wouldn't have to keep rebuilding shadows every time I tried a change), went to Beta patch site to get a newer patch since my app has some changes made under 1401-3068. Downloaded 1446-3070 and opened app locally under Full Version and the problem was gone.
                3) Downloaded 1446-3070 RT to notebook, opened the app as a network user and the problem was gone.

Conclusion?
                Either 1446-3070 fixed my problem, OR installing and running Full Version tripped some trigger in the notebook configuration that resolved the problem, OR something else...

Anyway, now works, and you can never have enough memory, right?

Bob Arbuthnot

Comment

Working...
                X