Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

�Error Unable to open compound index occurred while trying to start application.�

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

�Error Unable to open compound index occurred while trying to start application.�

I have been using Alpha4 (now alpha4v8) for the past 8 years to manage patient contacts in my medical practice.

It�s a pretty basic database primarily consisting of a �patient information� table (name, date of birth, phone numbers, note/memos, insurance info, etc.) linked to a �contact� table (type of contact, time, date, memo/notes of contact, etc).

I realized I finally have to upgrade to Alpha5 to use it with our new Vista laptops and have downloaded the trial version to see how difficult it will be to convert. I know I have to rebuild the forms, field rules, reports but I can�t even get started. When I try to open my main �patient information� table, I can browse and view the individual form. However when I try to edit the structure, change field rules, change indexes or change it in any way I get the message -- �Error Unable to open compound index occurred while trying to start application.� I�m stumped! The other tables open just fine and I'm able to edit them. Any suggestions? I hate the thought of starting from scratch and loosing the ability to view the past 8 years of data...

Re: �Error Unable to open compound index occurred while trying to start application.�

Help on this would be good. I'm running an upgrade from really old databases as well and I can view some of them but I can't create anything new from them.

Can't view or create sets or browses. Thread subject is the error message when trying.

I'm pretty new in the whole environment of Alpha but I'm already pretty sure I have to start entirely from scratch. Can anyone confirm or deny?

edit: Sorry for bumping this one...I see the others now. I was going to try this Maintenance thing but the "Apps" tab was non-existent.

edit2: For those with the best grasp on all of this--would it actually be BEST for me to just start over? The customer and job databases are rather enormous so it's not ideal but if I were to remake everything, should it not append very easily assuming I use the same field names?
    Last edited by idkwhatimdoing; 04-30-2009, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Re: �Error Unable to open compound index occurred while trying to start application.�

I've never seen this error message before but as you are trying to upgrade from A4 to A5 I might suggest not copying the indexes over and just try recreating them.

You sort of have another question in there about having to redo everything. Data files - no. Forms, reports, etc - yes.

Comment

Ahhh. Thank you. I've been thinking that would be the case. Even some of the data files seem to be non-transferable. I'm not upgrading from 4 to 5 but the version of 5 is really old. I believe it to be 3.1.

I just tried defining indexes on the old databases and that brought up the same error. It seems like I will have to re-enter everything.

Comment

I think that the error is just showing you that there is som corruption in your data. I would bet that for a little investigation this could be easily overcome. Also, you could try to export the data from your previous version of Alpha (I would try .csv) and then import into v9.

PS. The reason I (and anyone else reading your post) thought that you were upgrading from A4 is because you posted this message in the "Upgrading to Alpha Five from Alpha Four" Forum.

Comment

Yeah, I know the distinction wasn't easily made because of that, it's just that there was already a thread in here with the error's title and I didn't see anything similar and didn't know which board was most appropriate.

I do believe at one time that we went from A4 to where I'm at with A5v3.1.

And I will try exporting the old data when I get access to the computer it's on, thank you.

I do appreciate your help.

Comment

Whoa...whoa. Okay, so I exported the fields from an old database that I wanted for a new one into both Excel format and Ascii format and used the Excel one to import it. Now there is a problem for numbers that never had decimals have 5 trailing zeroes.

!!! But using find and replace i was able to nullify all the zeroes. My only concern now is that new entries will treat all the unused character spaces the same and put a decimal and trailing zeroes. I tried editing field rules but I couldn't figure out how to make my own "mask."

Comment

Whoa...whoa.

My only concern now is that new entries will treat all the unused character spaces the same and put a decimal and trailing zeroes.
                What does this mean? What data type is the field (character or numeric)?

Alpha is not going to put trailing zeroes in new entries of a character field. If it is a numeric field, change the field definition. (Right click on the table name in the control panel, choose Edit structure)
                There can be only one.

Comment

That's bizarre. I just looked at the structure and all fields are set as Character fields. They're set to allow 11 characters in the field I'm referring to which is set to be numbers (no calculations necessary).

I just checked though by adding a new record and it doesn't have an auto-fill kind of rule set so it just took what I put in and left it without adding zeroes. It had them in 3 fields where numbers were put in upon importing them but now it seems to be cleared up.

Comment

can any one help me?..... i am having the same problem.....

Comment

Working...
                    X