Alpha Video Training

Thread: License count exceeded

Real Name
    Peter Cox

Default License count exceeded

I’m using one copy of A5V8. After exiting from the program and later running it again, I get a message box saying that the license count has been exceeded. The only way to fix this is to reboot, obviously a nuisance if it happens several times a day.

Is there any fix for this that anyone is aware of, please?

P.

Real Name
    Matt Donlan

Default Re: License count exceeded

I have been having the same problem. I noticed some .MUF and .RMUF files in the directory which I have deleted. Not sure if this will fix the problem, I can only say I havent had it again... Yet!

Real Name
    Peter Cox

Thanks, have spotted them & deleted.

P.

Real Name
    Matt Donlan

BTW, made a point of checking when I crash out and the MUF file seems to reappear .

Real Name
    Cristiano

Quote Originally Posted by mattdonlan View Post
    BTW, made a point of checking when I crash out and the MUF file seems to reappear .
    Hi I use A5 v8 to and I have the same problem some time when I exit from A5 they running again on TASK MANAGER of Windows
    Cristiano
    cristianodona@gmail.com

"Certified" Alphaholic Lance Gurd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lance Gurd

Have been having the same problem for about a week now.

Finally tracked down the problem I think?

One of my forms is named quotes_V8, because I have redesigned it under the new version and still not sure I like it so the V7 version is still there. As I use this form during the day, opening and closing the tab list at the bottom would show first quotes_v8 then when closed and opened again quotes_v9 then 10 etc after it got to quotes_v12 I couldn't open any more. Would have to close Alpha, then go to task manager, close the process, then re-open Alpha and the whole senario would start again.

Narrowed it down to the form, went into design mode and there was a ghost of one of the fields on the layout. Could not do anything with the ghost so deleted the field, then put it back again and saved the layout. End of problem so far (all day today).

Maybe you will have to find your corrupt form!! Dont know. But hope this helps.

Funny that it seems to be happening to a few of us all of a sudden?

Real Name
    Lance Gurd

Ignore my last post. Its back with the same problem. Checked the form, no ghost fields. Why was this fine yesterday, another mysterious intermittent problem.

I seem to get other intermittent problems as well, could this be something that alpha has done in this version? The main core program not fully loading all the time, maybe to help speed things up? Sometimes when I zip up my database via the main menu I get an error in line 102 of the script and the dialog opens with most of the controlls missing, run it again and all is fine. Weird!!

Real Name
    Umran Ajaib

Hi,

I have a Similar issue. I've followed all the relevant threads/posts, but I can't seem to even get started.

As a test scenario, I installed Alpha 5v8 on the server (bearing in mind I have one copy on my laptop - but this should be o.k, as it's me using both copies to develop the same application right?). When opening the database, I got the same "MUF missing" dialogue.

Tried to research the answer, tried various solutions (RWX rights, admin rights, deleted etc... etc...) - installed the runtime also, with the same issue.

I even tried uninstalling one and leaving the other - both ways... no joy.

So I couldn't even open the application... Runtime is a user 3 license , and I only have it installed on a standalone laptop, with the developer version of a5v8... so I could experiment with the installer...

Reading these forums, I hope and trust there's a resolution ?!?

Real Name
    Jay Moskovitz

Same problem, easier "band-aid" solution (avoids re-boot delay): Ctrl-Alt-Del (the historic "3-finger salute") brings up Windows Task Manager. Select "Processes". Find 'alpha5.exe'. Click on "End Process".

It is a bug. Alpha is not shutting down correctly.

Real Name
    Shawn Rogers

Also have had the same result -- A5 isn't "dying" when you exit; it seems to be leaving a zombie process running; only way out of it is to kill the process... has a bug report been submitted?

Real Name
    Cristiano

Hi everybody,

When I downloded the new version 1492_3072 this problem was passed
    Cristiano
    cristianodona@gmail.com

Real Name
    Jim Doyle

I am using A5V8 Pro build1492-3072 amd sometimes get the following error when trying to open A5V8. A5V8 is on a single stand along machine running WinXpPro. "Alpha Five License count exceeded. This data base is already in use by one or more Alpha Five users on the network." This is the only machine that Alpha 5 is installed on. This machine is on a small network.

I know this is the same error that the early threads posted. But a different configured machine.

You have to reboot inorder to open your data base.

Is this a bug and has it been reported?
    Jim

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Jim, I don't think it's a bug. I suggest you review the discussion of the "MUF" file type in the help file topic called "Alpha Five File Types".

Real Name
    Lance Gurd

This problem seems to be back in build 1539-3080. Happened a couple of times today.

Real Name
    Perry Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Hi,

I have a Similar issue. I've followed all the relevant threads/posts, but I can't seem to even get started.

As a test scenario, I installed Alpha 5v8 on the server (bearing in mind I have one copy on my laptop - but this should be o.k, as it's me using both copies to develop the same application right?). When opening the database, I got the same "MUF missing" dialogue.

Tried to research the answer, tried various solutions (RWX rights, admin rights, deleted etc... etc...) - installed the runtime also, with the same issue.

I even tried uninstalling one and leaving the other - both ways... no joy.

So I couldn't even open the application... Runtime is a user 3 license , and I only have it installed on a standalone laptop, with the developer version of a5v8... so I could experiment with the installer...

Reading these forums, I hope and trust there's a resolution ?!?
    I am sure you have answer to to MUF file problem by now.. For me, I had shared the database directory on server2003 but forgot to give users (everyone in my case) access to read and write control.. only read access.. Alpha couldn't update muf file, so you get error! and no start.