Alpha Video Training

Thread: Network Running very slow

"Certified" Alphaholic Ronald Anusiewicz's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ronald Anusiewicz

Default Network Running very slow

I just installed A5V8 Run Time on a windows 2000 network that has been running flawlessly. This same network is running A5V5 just fine. All other applications on the network are running fine.

I've installed an application that has been thoroughly tested on a different windows 2000 network running with A5V7 Run Time. The speed of this application is fine.

Running this same application under A5V8 is extremely slow. In fact it's so slow, the application is unusable.

I've been doing this for years with no problems. I suspect I may be missing something, but I'm not sure what. I've never really had this problem before.

Each work station has it's own copy of the runtime. I've shadowed to each work station the application. All of the computers are fairly new with plenty of ram.

The application runs just fine, in fact quite well on a stand alone desktop. This has really caught me by surprise. Does anyone have any ideas??

Ron

Real Name
    Bob Arbuthnot

Default Re: Network Running very slow

Ronald,

Are you running antivirus software? Try disabling it and see if things speed up. If that solves your speed problem you'll need to look at modifying your antivirus configuration.

Hope this helps, and Good Luck!

Bob Arbuthnot

Real Name
    Barry Kucher

I have also seen anti-virus cripple otherwise working software. With us it was AVG anti-virus with an access database.

Until the vendor came out with a fix we had to exclude mdb files from being checked.

To test this theory, it might be best to uninstall the anti-virus software instead of disabling it. Again with AVG, exiting the software does NOT disable the AV checking. To make sure, you should go to the task manager and make sure none of your AV's programs are running!

Barry Kucher

Real Name
    Ronald Anusiewicz

We are running Norton AntiVirus on all the machines. I will try disabling Norton.

Currently, we are running A5V5 with half a dozen different applications. They are running just fine. My point here is that the applications all have the same file extensions.

A5V5 has been on this same network ever since A5V5 came out. It's been running fine all these years.

The problem I'm having didn't show up until I upgraded to A5V8. I'm running a refined version of the original applications to take advantage of some of V8's new features and to enhance some of the existing features. As this application is in testing only, I may try and run it under A5V5 and see what happens.

The refined application, less the A5V8 enhancements, has been running for almost a year on a different windows 2000 network under A5V7 with no problems at all. That's why I'm baffled as to what can be going on.

Ron

Real Name
    Chris Hawkes

Ron

Instead of disabling Norton, tell it to exclude the files & folders in the a5v8 program and application.

This way you still have the antivirus working, but it's not busting it's guts out on Alpha.

Chris
    If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Ron, do you have a lot of xbasic code, and use xbasic_wait_for_idle() a lot?

In V8, it will frequently really slow things down.
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Rupert Phelps

Ronald,

I am having the same issue with Norton Antivirus 2006. I tried excluding the folder with A5V8 but that did not work. The only way I have found is to disable Norton. Symantec tech support tells me that the problem I am having does not exist. I have even offered to buy dinner if they would come over from India and take a look at it.

I recently removed Norton from one of the workstations, installed McAfee and the slow down problem went away. Unfortunately, I use Norton and so does my client (at my reccommendation) and they want me to reimburse them for Norton.

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

I am running apps (V8 shadowed and not shadowed) with the full Norton suite installed with no problems.

But I am running from XP. With shadows, I have one app on a Linux server, and one on a Server 2003. No problems.

But - please note: I DO NOT install Alpha in program files, and I put the shadow in the Alpha Exec folder instead of My Documents.

I suspect your problem may be due to using 2000.
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Ronald Anusiewicz

Thanks for the input.

I have been guilty of using xbasic_wait_for_idle().

However; and I don't know if it would make any difference, the application runs excellent on a stand alone desktop.

I do know for a fact that they are running Norton anti virus and I do believe they are using 2006. A computer wizard friend of mine who is pro Norton told me that he has had a lot of trouble with Norton 2006 internet security. He's had so much trouble that he has removed it from computers. He claims it's using too much of the computer's resources. He's now installing the 2007 version.

I'm running 2005 on my computer's with no problems. Maybe some one else can chime in. If you are using 2006, how much ram do you have, processor speed, etc....

On the other hand, is A5V8 the only software people are having trouble with????? In my case, it might be. All the other programs on these computers are running just fine including previous versions of A5.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Ed Barley

Hi Ron,

I purchased the 3 user pack at Christmas time (2006 Norton Antivirus), and have only one copy installed. It is on my laptop. So for the first 15 minutes, after a cold boot, norton does use too many resources. The laptop is really not usable till a period of time goes by maybe 15 minutes or so. After that the laptop speed is close to OK. I like the protection, so have not removed it. So I could see where it would cause problems with a slow down. Even if you told Norton to not check certain files, it would still slow down the system to a degree.

Ed

Real Name
    Doug Page

I've noticed many discussions on developers sites talking about avoiding Norton like the plaque. Was always the easy recommendation in the old days but is now so bloated and inefficient, that it is now rated near the bottom of the heap. Would be interesting to know what security programs others are using and what problems if any they have experienced with Alpha. I have been using Outpost Firewall from Agnitum which is an excellent firewall with built in email virus protection, virus scanning and malware scanning. So far, absolutely no problems with Alpha whatsoever.

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

it sounds like their issue is with the 2006 version - although I've been using the full suite for several years with no problems.

the combination of windows 2000 (instead of XP) and norton 2006 may be the problem

however, for my next system I think I am goiung back to Mcaffee.
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Jeff Wolfe

I've had my troubles with both Norton and McAfee. I now use BitDefender V10 and it seems to be much less bloated than the others. Includes both Virus and Spyware.
    Jeffrey Wolfe

Open Source Solutions
    Phone: (757) 819-4230
    Fax: (888) 300-5994
    E-mail: jeffrey-wolfe@verizon.net

"Certified" Alphaholic Lance Gurd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lance Gurd

We use eTrust antivirus and have just exempted Alpha 5 from processes and our network is now much faster.

Real Name
    Peter Kraljic

Ronald,
    I have similar problem see my post on ver a5v7 below:
    Opportunistic Locking, Shadow Database, network mega traffic
    I use Panda software which has AV & heuristic (behavioural code) to check for malware and it certainly tries even new pc's. FYI according to Panda recently 1-2 months the size of malware signature files have grown from 120,000 to over 350,000 approx. 25MB file that needs to be in memory. A real PIG of a background process. Secondly i have use on the client side XP's network monitoring to see how much data gets transferred and I am astonished that a 17 Mbyte dbf files can transfer from Server to PC at time 87 to 170 Mbytes of data even when shadowed. Very perplexing.
    No help i know just my input.
    Peter

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

About 2 years ago, using V5, we were having a very long lag on a specific form.

It turned out the problem was with the use of parentform.refresh_layout(). I had a conditional object with about 22 conditions, and the function was refreshing each condition.

I had it in there to refresh an embedded browse, as I was using a child form (as a dialog) to enter and edit child records.

IT helped me trace the problem. When they came back from the dialog, and hit that function in the script, the traffic jumped off the screen, completely off his trace buffer (which was large)

I changed how I was doing things, by creating the record silently in the form, (thus the form's embedded browse already was uptodate,) and I didn't need to use parentform.refresh_layout() - and the speed came back to normal.
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

I use NOD32 on w2k and XP machines with A5. Used to use Norton 3 or 4 years ago and had too many problems. More to the point, a client also uses NOD32 on a win 2003 server network with about 20 workstations with a mix of w2k and XP. The client has been using NOD32 for over 3 years--no problems with A5 and seems to be an excellent option all around. Small footprint and fast scanning and daily automatic updates.

Ray Lyons

Real Name
    Ronald Anusiewicz

Thanks for all the input to this question. I was able to run my notebook on the problem network today and it ran fine. I'm using Norton 2005.

They will be upgrading one of the problem computers within a week to Norton 2007. We will see if there is a speed improvement.

I'll let you know.

Ron

Real Name
    Geoff Meredith

I can also recommend Nod32 for anti virus. You hardly know it is running and uses a relatively small amount of resources. I use zone alarm for a laptop firewall which is ok but does suffer from the odd glitch and hardware firewall for home and work networks. I do have Norton 2005 set-up on the kids computers as I like the parental block feature.

Real Name
    Bob Arbuthnot

Ron,

I'll let you know.
    What did you find out?

Bob Arbuthnot

Real Name
    Ronald Anusiewicz

I found a number of things.

First, the real problem computer is running a celeron 1.7 GHz processor with 512 meg of ram and had Norton 2006 Anti-virus. This has been upgraded to Norton 2007 Anti-virus and there has been a speed improvement.

My notebook running Norton 2005 anti-virus and seems to run "OK".

Other computers on the system with Norton 2007 seem to be running "OK".

We're still running A5V5 apps and they are faster than A5V8 apps.

The office person is still doing trials on the new app so I should know better in a few days.