Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Bar Code Implementation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bar Code Implementation

Hi,
    I need to implement onto my inventory program a bar code ( create, reading and print).

As I don't have any Idea how implement them, if you know they exist external tools for Alpha Five V8 ready for implementatonto my project?

Thank you

Cristiano
    Cristiano
    [email protected]

Re: Bar Code Implementation

Originally posted by Cristiano View Post
    Hi,
    I need to implement onto my inventory program a bar code ( create, reading and print).

As I don't have any Idea how implement them, if you know they exist external tools for Alpha Five V8 ready for implementatonto my project?

Thank you

Cristiano
    Barcode reading is an activity handled by a scanner. The scanner does the translation from barcode to character string, usually appears to Alpha as if it had been typed in.

Creating and printing are different matters. You first need to choose a symbology that is suitable. You need a font that will allow you to print that symbology. For most symbologies you need calculations to compute a check digit and translate the data to be barcoded into the appropriate font character.

Do a search on this board for "barcode". This has been done by other people.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
      Barcode reading is an activity handled by a scanner. The scanner does the translation from barcode to character string, usually appears to Alpha as if it had been typed in.

Creating and printing are different matters. You first need to choose a symbology that is suitable. You need a font that will allow you to print that symbology. For most symbologies you need calculations to compute a check digit and translate the data to be barcoded into the appropriate font character.

Do a search on this board for "barcode". This has been done by other people.

Thank you Sran I search now

Cristiano
      Cristiano
      [email protected]

Comment

Cristiano,

On the surface, barcode scanning appears to be trivial, and in some limited cases, it is. But there are many complexities that I have found in development of an Alpha 5 library addin (AEX). If you want the scanner to do multiple functions depending upon which form has focus or mode you are in, these problems tend to grow.

When scanning, some of these include
        • how to activate the input when the scanner scans something and collect the scanned data
        • When input, do you have to validate a checksum, or did the scanner do it
        • Do you have to strip the checksum or store it?
        When you have the barcode, what do you do?
        • Do you save the current record?
        • Do you do a find with a value?
        • If you don't find the value, do you do a record enter?
        • Do you move the focus to the barcode field, or not?
        When printing,
        • do you have to convert the string to include stop/start/checksum digits?
        • What if you use different fonts with different mappings for different printers (Not typical, but occasionally required)
        Then you have to decide on what barcode type to use, e.g code 39, code 93, code 39 extended, codabar, etc., what scanner to use, what barcode font is best for a printer (most important for lower quality printers).

So the basic requirements are
        • Scanners
        • Barcode Font
        • Software to handle Alpha 5 the way you need it to
        The last item is a product I'll be finalizing after the Alpha Five 2007 conference (which coincidentally I'm speaking at!:D)
        Regards,

Ira J. Perlow
        Computer Systems Design

CSDA A5 Products
        New - Free CSDA DiagInfo - v1.39, 30 Apr 2013
        CSDA Barcode Functions

CSDA Code Utility
        CSDA Screen Capture

Comment

Printing - I have not found any free bar code fonts, so you will likely need to purchase that. If you do not have specialized requirements, Code 39 (Code 3 of 9) is the easiest to process, and is what I use. It will come with instructions for printing, but basically just put an asterisk at the front and end of the string, and print the field using the barcode font. So printing is pretty simple.

Scanning - For Code 39, the scanner will handle all translations and give you the string you want, minus the asterisks. It is just like keyboard input. The trick, as Ira says, is getting the input to go where you want, and do what you want. You can do this manually, but I always use a code in the scanner to send a 'hot key' to the form. This pushes a button on the form, and now a script does whatever I want. The first thing this script will do is display a msg box to accept the scanner input.
          Code:
          vReply = ui_get_text("","Barcode input")
          This will flash so fast on the screen that ylu will never see it. Your value is now in the variable vReply.

The scanner - If you need to scan from far away in a warehouse you might need a laser scanner, but I always use the cheaper, simpler, CCD scanner. You want a scanner that can add a preamble and postamble with control codes. That way you can add a preamble to send, for example, "Ctl-2" as a hot key to push a button. Suprisingly, there is much variation in the capability that scanners have as far as control codes in the preamble. For when the scanned barcode is close I have used an Idtech Econoscan scanner.

Bill.

Comment

I am curious if anyone has been able to format an Alpha label to print on a barcode printer directly. We use a cognitive printer and, while I haven't spent a huge amount of time on it, I have had difficulty getting the labels to print correctly with the Alpha label formatting, they always seem to shift or do something else weird. It may have something to do with the Cognitive driver.
            We save all the required labels to a table, in the required format and then print them using Wasp Barcode program. It works well so I haven't had a lot of incentive to get the Alpha one working, but would like to at some point.

Comment

Been doing it for yaers

There is a great free code 39 barcode fornt avaialable and it works great. Simply instal it in the windows fornt directory and add your field suct as item number and format it with the font. Works great!

Comment

Re: Been doing it for yaers

Originally posted by rmssoftware View Post
                There is a great free code 39 barcode fornt avaialable
                Why don't you share where to find it?
                There can be only one.

Comment

http://www.idautomation.com/code39faq.html

Check this out. I purchased one of their ccd scanners to do some barcode testing with code 39. Very informative site, for someone who needs starting info.

Ed

I also meant to include the URL for the free code 39 download, so you can take a look.

http://www.idautomation.com/fonts/free/

Ed
                  Last edited by Ed Barley; 03-31-2007, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X