Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

VPS Hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPS Hosting

Hello Everyone,

Is anyone using VPS at this stage?
    We are in the process of testing a VPS server to host a web application.

I am having trouble publishing the web application via Alpha to the vps server.
    The a5webroot folder is not accessable via the ftp.

Could anyone provide some information on how they are doing it or some guidelines please??

Thanks
    Walter

Re: VPS Hosting

I use a VPS service. Your only problem is where the FTP service is pointing. If you have access to your VPS desktop, find the FTP service (probably IIS) and change the Home directory to \A5Webroot.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hello Steve,
      Thanks for the reply.

We managed to publish the files but there is a problem.

Will it work if we have the following strucure:
      \\servername\a5\a5webroot\appnamefolder\ for the web components
      \\servername\a5\data\appnamefolder\ for the data files?

According to my knowledge the a5webroot folder must be a top level direcory? ex. \\servername\a5webroot
      and the data folder at \\servername\data where the data folder is not accessable via a browser, only the a5webroot folder?

If this is the case, how would you publish the web components and the data files to the vps in one ftp session?
      Thanks
      Walter

Comment

Using the directories you have below:

App Server Doc Root is c:\a5\a5webroot (assuming drive C is the physical path for the root)

FTP points to \\servername\A5

Folder for web files is a5webroot\appnamefolder
        Folder for data is data\appnamefolder
        Alias is PathAlias.ADB_Path] = c:\a5\data\appnamefolder

These settings should allow Alpha to publish in one pass. Actually, Alpha takes two passes when it does this. It pubs the web files, disconnects from FTP, reconnects and pubs the data files. This structure will also work when you add new applications by just changing the appnamefolder.

I say all this assuming you have control over publishing files. If you have multiple applications, and other people are in charge of publishing, this is a bad structure because your FTP points to A5 and you are expecting them to always include their appnamefolder properly, which is not a good assumption to make. If you have multiple clients publishing, you MUST give each of them a separate FTP point and credentials.

A5Webroot is not a special folder name, you can name it anything and it does not need to be a top level directory.

You said there was a problem; if the above does not clarify the issues, be sure to include the complete error you are getting.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I was able to publish to the VPS after changing the alias path atc.

There is another problem though. When I publish the files the very first time, everything works fine.
          After making changes to some components, I tried to publish again. This time around, the publish process created the folders on the VPS, but does not publish any other files or component files.
          I have cleared the publish history, but no luck.

The ftp process sort of "hang" for a minute or two, then cancel by itself.

Thanks
          Walter

Comment

I pretty much never user the 'publish changed files only' checkbox. I had the same problems as you off and on. So I just publish all or right-click on the individual component/page I want to publish. I turned it in as a bug years ago but was never able to provide any reproducible evidence.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hello Steve,

I am having this problem even then I wanted to publish all.

Is there a workaround on this issue? If I publish the files with an external ftp program, which pathalias will be used. The local , or ftp settings specified in the profiles??

Thanks for the help
              Walter

Comment

From my experience only, nothing is missed when publishing all - be sure you also unchecked the Publish New or Modified Files Only.

Here is something you should do for testing. Go to View / Settings / Web Publishing and toggle the Show Files to be Published to Yes.

When you next publish, you'll get a list of all files it plans to publish. Before publishing, go to the place where you expect the files to be published and delete all of them (or move them). Then publish. COmpare the list you get with the files actually published.

On publishing using external FTP: you still have to let Alpha publish the files using the normal process, but toggle the profile option to External. It will "pre-publish" the files to a temp directory, then you use whatever to FTP them to your server.

But really, I've found no problem with FTPing All files, be sure you are on the latest A5 release, the first release did have FTP problems.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Hello Steve,

I am using Build 1334-3063

I have tested the publish with external ftp program. No problems. As you mentioned, you can still decide which files to publish with the external program.

The internal ftp still have problems. I am not sure if this is a bug or what the reason is for the freeze up. The only thing I do not understand, is that it does create the folders on the VPS, but when it gets to the files, then the freeze up.

In any case, external ftp for me then.
                  Thanks for all the help Steve. I appreciate it.
                  Have a nice day
                  Walter

Comment

Steve,

May I get back to the path alias please.

I have a table with a image file reference field.

I have specified the following in the Profiles Aliases section for the VPS Server:

The data path is: [PathAlias.ADB_Path]=c:\a5\data\appname
                    Image path: [PathAlias.Images]=c:\a5\data\appname\appname_images

On the web component image field, I've set the path as [PathAlias.Images]
                    I have also tried [PathAlias.ADB_Path]\appname_images on the component image field.

When I open the page, I get a "Linked image not found...\appname_images\image.jpg"

On my development machine the Images are located in c:\cms\appname\appname_images (not sure if this will have an effect on the image file reference field)

Thanks
                    Walter

Comment

The Alias does not control where things are published, only tells the server where to expect files to be. If you want the images to be in c:\a5\data\appname\appname_images, you have to put them there manually. When you publish them, they will go to the FTP location + any path you have set for publishing, nothing to do with the Alias. So, your imags (if you are publishing them) are probably sitting in a5webroot\appnamefolder, because that's the FTP point + folder.
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

HTML Code:
                        The Alias does not control where things are published, only tells the server where to expect files to be. If you want the images to be in c:\a5\data\appname\appname_images, you have to put them there manually.
                        I understand this and have done it.
                        My problem is that I have pointed the component to this image folder, and I have uploaded the images to this folder, but I get the "Linked Image not found.." when viewing the page.
                        I mentioned the pathaliases in my previous post.
                        Am I doing something wrong somewhere?
                        Walter

Comment

I know that the image linking field should end up with the full path and filename for it to show the image. If you are using xbasic to fill the field value, it might look like this:

tbl.Image1 = "[Images.path]\\" + FileToUpload.filename

or

tbl.Image1 = "[Images.path]\\" + "myfilename.jpg"
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                          X