Alpha Video Training
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Tables: How to print structure?

  1. #1
    Member
    Real Name
    David Abbott
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedfordshire, England
    Posts
    76

    Default Tables: How to print structure?

    This might be a bit obvious, but sadly I can't see how to achieve what I need. I have searched Alpha Help and the forum, but can't see any reference.

    I am working on a new application and although a bit of a novice, I am concious of the need to spend time working on the structure of the database and how the tables and sets work together.

    It would help me immensely if I could print out the structure of each table and set in my application, and also the Alphasport example for comparison and learning.

    I can do screen shots, but these don't really cut the mustard. Is there a way to printout a simple tabular structure of each table etc? I can then see more easily how to use correct links on sets.

  2. #2
    "Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    25,119

    Default Re: Tables: How to print structure?

    There is a product for sale in the Alpha store, Alpha 5 Documenter. For a down and dirty method, right click on a table name, choose restructure, click drag as you would in excel, ctrl-c, paste into excel.

  3. #3
    Member
    Real Name
    David Abbott
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedfordshire, England
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: Tables: How to print structure?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Mathews View Post
    There is a product for sale in the Alpha store, Alpha 5 Documenter. For a down and dirty method, right click on a table name, choose restructure, click drag as you would in excel, ctrl-c, paste into excel.
    Thanks for such a fast reply.

    I've tried the click-drag and it is a good work around. And for around £30 the A5 documenter looks good value!

    As an aside, I have dabbled with Access, and find I can achieve much more and actually understand some of the coding that A5 does automatically. No more Access for me!!

  4. #4
    "Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    25,119

    Default Re: Tables: How to print structure?

    Quote Originally Posted by Esio Trot View Post
    Thanks for such a fast reply.

    I've tried the click-drag and it is a good work around. And for around £30 the A5 documenter looks good value!

    As an aside, I have dabbled with Access, and find I can achieve much more and actually understand some of the coding that A5 does automatically. No more Access for me!!
    The A5 Doc does so much more than just print the table structures. It is well worth the price.

  5. #5
    Member
    Real Name
    Rand Miller
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA & NY
    Posts
    98

    Default Re: Tables: How to print structure?

    I saw the below statement but in the control panel, if I right click on a table name, I don't see restructure. Am I looking in the wrong place.

    I also wanted to print the table structure so I can see the field lengths.

    Thanks in advance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Mathews View Post
    There is a product for sale in the Alpha store, Alpha 5 Documenter. For a down and dirty method, right click on a table name, choose restructure, click drag as you would in excel, ctrl-c, paste into excel.

  6. #6
    "Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    23,300

    Default Re: Tables: How to print structure?

    Rand,

    Choose Tables / Sets tab of the control panel.
    Right click the desired table
    Choose "Edit Structure" from the drop down menu which appears

  7. #7
    Member
    Real Name
    David Abbott
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedfordshire, England
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: Tables: How to print structure?

    Quote Originally Posted by randbo View Post
    I saw the below statement but in the control panel, if I right click on a table name, I don't see restructure. Am I looking in the wrong place.

    I also wanted to print the table structure so I can see the field lengths.

    Thanks in advance.
    I got caught on this too!!

    1. Click on edit structure to show the table
    2. Using the mouse, highlight all the lines of the table that you want to copy
    3. Press [ctrl-c] to copy (if you right click, the option isn't shown)
    4. Paste as normal into your spreadsheet.

  8. #8
    "Certified" Alphaholic MoGrace's Avatar
    Real Name
    Robin
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,595

    Default Re: Tables: How to print structure?

    Gee, aren't the best ideas also the simple ones? I made an Excel spreadsheet template so I could have lines for notes and a place to put the table name & current date in the header. This makes a very handy way to print this info and see what your fields are.

    I'm thinking a button on the control panel toolbar could call up the spreadsheet...

    Thanks!
    Robin

    Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

  9. #9
    "Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    25,119

    Default Re: Tables: How to print structure?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoGrace View Post
    Gee, aren't the best ideas also the simple ones? I made an Excel spreadsheet template so I could have lines for notes and a place to put the table name & current date in the header. This makes a very handy way to print this info and see what your fields are.

    I'm thinking a button on the control panel toolbar could call up the spreadsheet...

    Thanks!
    Button code

    sys_open("pathspreadsheetname.xls")

  10. #10
    "Certified" Alphaholic MoGrace's Avatar
    Real Name
    Robin
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,595

    Default Re: Tables: How to print structure?

    Hi Stan,
    I played with this button a bit and came up with this so it could be used to toggle back and forth if the spreadsheet is still open. If its not, it generates an error which can be trapped to open it. I am sure someone could do better than this:

    Code:
    dim get_handle as n
    dim win_title as c
    win_title = "Microsoft Excel - db_template.xls  [Read-Only]"
    on error goto LOADIT
    get_handle = sys_id_get(win_title)
    sys_focus_put(win_title)
    end
    LOADIT:
    on error goto 0
    sys_open("C:\Office97\Office\A5xls\db_template.xls")
    'this lets me add the read only switch
    'sys_shell("C:\Office97\Office\excel.exe /r \"C:\Office97\Office\A5xls\db_template.xls\"",1)
    The get_handle was there because I was trying to test if the global handle matched - which I could not get to work correctly. It can therefore be omitted.
    Last edited by MoGrace; 04-22-2007 at 06:09 PM.
    Robin

    Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Similar Threads

  1. Questions on using mysql tables vs alpha5v8 tables
    By randbo in forum Application Server Version 8
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-20-2007, 12:51 PM
  2. Print table structure
    By Michael Salley in forum Alpha Four Versions 7 and 8
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 05:45 AM
  3. Print Table Structure
    By mgorom in forum Alpha Five Version 6
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-03-2004, 05:49 AM
  4. Relating 3 tables in a print--out
    By Nip Lewis in forum Alpha Five Version 4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-15-2004, 09:39 AM
  5. Using Database Structure for Import Structure?
    By Ken Wargon in forum Alpha Five Version 4
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-25-2002, 07:10 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •