Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Disable opportunistic locking with backend db's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disable opportunistic locking with backend db's?

Jim,
    A dialog box of Cal's script does not in my opinion indicate if at the OS level of XP, W2000K or W2003 if the Server to PC sessions have OpLock turned off. I think this trial and error approach is unexceptable and needs to be addressed by Alpha Software give that according to there own documentation of:

"Multi-User Alpha Five Applications"
    states the potential of "corruption of shared (networked) tables" and

"Experience shows that opportunistic locking should be disabled to prevent corruption when running with Windows 2000, XP, and 2003."

I will request if Richard/Selwyn would be so kind to definatively resolve this issue and indicate exactly what is required to be done on both the server and PC side and a way to confirm that OpLocks is OFF. I think end users and developopers who put their trust in A5 expect more of this fine program. I thank Cal for his kindness as well, to help resolve this very important issue.
    Peter

Comment

Originally posted by pk9 View Post
      A dialog box of Cal's script does not in my opinion indicate if at the OS level of XP, W2000K or W2003 if the Server to PC sessions have OpLock turned off.
      My routine has to be run on specific machines to turn off Op Locks on that specific machine. If you want to turn off Op Locks on the server, then it must be run on the server. (I've never heard of any way to set the registry on a different computer over a network.) However, if the server is ONLY a server and not used as a workstation, it may not be necessary to turn off Op Locks on the server - I'm not sure.

The dialog box will normally not appear if all the registry settings are set up to turn off OpLocks. However, it is possible to run the script in the "force" mode which always shows the dialog box (this would typically be for use on a button on a maintenance menu - not in the autoexec script) and, in that case, the user has to look at what the message says to determine if OpLocks is on or off.

Comment

Hello, Cal.

I didn't notice that there was an optional logical argument, "Forced", in OpLocksOff. Setting it to .T. redisplayed the dialog box.

With regard to the question of disabling opportunistic locking on the server, my impression from reading other threads as well as the Microsoft documentation is that it does not matter if the server is used as a workstation or not.

In response to Peter's concern, you're saying that in the OpLocksOff function (provided it is not run in forced mode), the presence or absence of the dialog box does serve as an indicator to the status of opportunistic locking, i.e., it first checks the registry entries involved before displaying the dialog. Correct?

Perhaps you could display a different dialog box according to the status of opportunistic locking, just to make things clearer.

P.S. Is OpLocksOff supported in Vista?
        Last edited by jmatienza; 04-17-2007, 09:12 PM.
        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jmatienza View Post
          So in response to Peter's concern, you're saying that in the OpLocksOff function (provided it is not run in forced mode), the presence or absence of the dialog box does serve as an indicator to the status of opportunistic locking, i.e., it first checks the registry entries involved before displaying the dialog. Correct?
          Yes.

Perhaps you could display a different dialog box according to the status of opportunistic locking, just to make things clearer.
          I could but do you really think the user wants to see that dialog every time they start the app even when the OpLocks get turned off the first time? (And, if they don't turn them off, the message will keep appearing.) I know my customers would be screaming for me to get rid of a message like that.

Comment

Cal,

Thank you so much for this extremely useful function. It makes turning off oplocks a snap and removes the 'stress' involved with doctoring the registry.

Thank you again for sharing this with the rest of the A5 community.

Bob Arbuthnot

Comment

Originally posted by CALocklin View Post
              I could but do you really think the user wants to see that dialog every time they start the app even when the OpLocks get turned off the first time? (And, if they don't turn them off, the message will keep appearing.) I know my customers would be screaming for me to get rid of a message like that.
              Cal,

You're right, of course! I was only thinking of executing it from the interactive window, not from within a script in an app.

Maybe my question about Vista should be posted on the V8 forum.

I'd like to second Bob now and thank you again for your generosity in sharing this "stress-removing" addin!
              Jim

Comment

I was only thinking of executing it from the interactive window, not from within a script in an app.
                Ahah! I figured either you were doing something different or were just "stuck in a rut" from working on one issue. (Luckily, I never get stuck in ruts - not that I mention on the message board anyway.)

Comment

Originally posted by CALocklin View Post
                  In this thread on the v6 message board I offered to send my OpLocksOff.aex file

Edit: I just restored the file to my website. You can download it from the link mentioned in the other thread. (Capitalization of the thread path is critical on that site.) PLEASE READ THE INFO I PRESENTED IN THAT THREAD BEFORE USING IT. If you have additional questions, post them here - and feel free to contact me directly if I don't reply right away.
                  Cal,

You say above that you just "restored the file" to your web site. Can you confirm this, because I can't find it.

Ray

Comment

I got lazy - it's not listed on my web page. You had to read the fine print above: "You can download it from the link mentioned in the other thread."

Since that thread was originally posted on a previous message board, the link wasn't "live". Here's the link: http://www.aimsdc.net/Tips_Funcs/OpLocksOff.aex

Comment

Disabling read cache on windows workstations is also suggested to insure the integrity of server based databases.This will slow down things a bit
                      The default windows setting has it enabled.
                      Leaving it enabled opens the door to corruption when a worksation reading and writing to the table has problems.

Comment

Does Cal Locklin's OpLocksOff.aex still work in Windows version 10 with Alpha Anywhere v12?

Comment

I have no idea. I can only say that it's been a long time since I've had any need to use it. If you're having an issue, I doubt this would help - but I can't say for sure.

Comment

I know this is an old post, but may I ask why to disable opportunistic record locking?
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                            X