Alpha Video Training

Thread: V8 Claims Reports with Graphs supported!?

Real Name
    Raheel Ahmed

Default V8 Claims Reports with Graphs supported!?

Hello All,

V8 enhancements state: "Printing report layouts with ActiveX controls is now supported (this means you can now print graphs in reports using the bundled SimpleChart ActiveX control). " at this page

But has anyone got it to work? I had ActiveX Simplecharts working on forms but not on reports. Placing working code into Alpha reports generates no graph! Even code for using MS Office charts doesnt work on reports...

Please advise

Real Name
    ian hodder

Default Re: V8 Claims Reports with Graphs supported!?

Your'e right - that's what is says on the box!
    Easy to do on a form, but probably mostly needed in a report.

I guess there must be a way. Selwyn will know how if he's (hopefully?) got a moment to show us all.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Griffin

Adding charts to reports seems to work fine. The report I have uses a group break (one page per customer) and I added the code for the graph to the on record event (detail section) and placed the graph in the Group footer.

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Quote Originally Posted by Parkell View Post
    Adding charts to reports seems to work fine. The report I have uses a group break (one page per customer) and I added the code for the graph to the on record event (detail section) and placed the graph in the Group footer.
    Hi there;

I can get my charts to display fine on reports no problem as well, but do you get a shrunken image of the chart when you print? If not, how did you get it to print exactly as it displays on screen?

Take a look at my posting: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=67116

If you can get it to work, I'd love to know what you did as I think I've looked everywhere. SimpleChart support is virtually non-existent. My chart prints off on hard copy or a PDF as a tiny image at the top left corner of the active x position on the report. I think in general, it's because on screen it's displayed at 72 dpi, but when printing on a 300 dpi printer for example, the 72 dpi image is small because it does not print at 300 dpi. Just a hunch.

Any feedback is welcome!!

awj :)

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Griffin

Andrew,

When I first started playing around with Simplechart a coupe of weeks ago, I had no problem in printing them (to an HP deskjet printer). After seeing your post yesterday I tried priting to a pdf and, yes, I got the same results as you. I have NOT been able to print them out since. I know that this was a problem a while ago (tried it when I first got V8 and had the same thumbnal-like printout) BUT it was working as recently as a week or so ago. I have applied a couple of patches since. Have you submitted a bug report to Alpha yet?

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Hi Bill;

I had tried 5 different models of printers and PDFs to no avail. In terms of Alpha Five being informed, Richard Rabins is aware of the problem which was forwarded to Kurt as well. I should also mention I finally got an email from Nick Queenan of Imagiotech, the developers of SimpleChart, and basically his statement was this...

...The printing problem is proving somewhat intractable and hard to solve. The main reason for this is because of the fundamental way in which SimpleChart is designed internally. Please be assured that we are still actively working on the solution and based on our current progress I expect a fix to be available within 2 months..."

I have sent him back an email asking him to stay in touch with me progressively and that (of course) it's important to get this thing to print properly. I hate to wait yet another 2 months, but if they can finally fix the problem, and hopefully also improve their customer support they would definitely make a lot of customers happy!

Let's hope this gets resolved!! - awj :)

Real Name
    ian hodder

I cant get a graph in a report, only on a form.
    Can someone tell me how to get graph in a report?
    I think I'm missing something simple.

Many thanks
    Hodder

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Griffin

From the help file: Lookup Printing ActiveX Controls
    Printing ActiveX Controls

Alpha Five Version 8 allows you to print ActiveX controls placed on layouts in the following circumstances.

ActiveX controls not bound to data will print on forms and reports. In the case of reports, you may place them in any band of the report.

You may place ActiveX controls that are bound to data only in the detail band of the report. You also must insert code in the OnRecord event of the report to bind data from the current record to the ActiveX control.

Example

You may print a SimpleChart chart control placed in the detail section of a report using a script like the following in the detail OnRecord event:

Code:
    dim pChart as P

pChart = activeX1.activex.this
    pChart.Caption = ""
    pChart.ShowLegend = .t.
    pChart.LegendPos = 3
    pChart.ChartData.Clear()

pChart.ChartData.Add(simplechart->Key, simplechart->Data1, 0)
    pChart.ChartData.Add(simplechart->Key, simplechart->Data2, 0)
    Supported By

Alpha Five Version 8 and Above

See Also

Creating Charts with SimpleChart
    UFORTUNATLY, placing the control on a report and actually printing them results in charts tha look like thumbnls printed.
    Last edited by AaronBBrown; 04-27-2007 at 02:00 PM.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Griffin

Andrew,

I downloaded an activex control for charting and it seems to work pretty good. Printing IS NOT a problem and there are a bunch of options. The only issue I had was using the 3d controls, and it may be Vista Problem. (You can actually acheiv a 3d look with the standard control with no problem.

The site where I downloaded it if http://www.dragonflydas.com. Not a bad price and the output is very nice looking. It appears that you can distribute with a runtime at no fee.

The also have some other interesting looking controls as well.

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

That's cool! I'm going to check it out! Thanks for the tip!

awj :cool:

Andrew,

I downloaded an activex control for charting and it seems to work pretty good. Printing IS NOT a problem and there are a bunch of options. The only issue I had was using the 3d controls, and it may be Vista Problem. (You can actually acheiv a 3d look with the standard control with no problem.

The site where I downloaded it if http://www.dragonflydas.com. Not a bad price and the output is very nice looking. It appears that you can distribute with a runtime at no fee.

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Hello Ian;

What I did on a report is first of all drag the SimpleChart control onto the surface. Then I added the following code for the OnPrintInit event:

Code:

'Date Created: 28-Mar-2006 09:05:07 PM
    'Last Updated: 20-Apr-2007 09:40:04 PM
    'Created By  : AWJ
    'Updated By  : AWJ
    dim chart as P
    dim chartx as P
    dim list as C
    dim bgdate as C
    dim read as N
    dim read2 as N
    dim c as colordefinition
    chart = activex1.activex.this
    list = table.external_record_content_get("tbl_results","measure + '|' + measure","bg_date")
    chart.DataSeries.clear()
    c.name = "Dark Red"
    chart.DataSeries.AddLineSeries("Trend", c.RGB_Value, 3, 0)

for each x in list
     read = val(word(x, 1, "|"))
        read2 = val(word(x, 2, "|"))
        chart.DataSeries(1).SeriesData.Add(read, read2)
    next 
    chart.refresh()
    Hope that helps! You probably will want to tweak the fields and labels accordingly for your own chart. It looks great on-screen, but because of a DPI issue with SimpleChart, it prints out in hard-copy as a thumbnail - they are apparently working on a solution to be resolved in the next 2 months! I hope!

awj

Quote Originally Posted by hodder View Post
    I cant get a graph in a report, only on a form.
    Can someone tell me how to get graph in a report?
    I think I'm missing something simple.

Many thanks
    Hodder

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Hi Bill;

Which product from dragonfly did you get? I noticed the Chart object is $300. Is that the one?

thx, :)

Andrew,

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Griffin

It looks like you have a BP monitoring package? They have some other cool things that you could probably add as well.

Good luck - FYI the color (OLE_COLOR) that they refer to in the documenttaion is the color codes tha VB uses. Some color pickers supply the VB codes that you can insert. It is definitly not as simple as simplechart, but it is way more flexible (and prints!!)

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Hi Bill;

It's a diabetes management application for which I'm trying to get charts into for my Version 3.0 release.

By the way, which product from dragonfly did you order? There's quite a few different ones there.

many thx, awj

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Griffin

I downloaded the activeX demo, which contains all of the controls. I beleive you can purchase them individually once you figure out which ones you need. I HOPE that support from them is better than the folks at SimpleChart, but so far, so good (other than the 3d problem I had)

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Griffin

The problem with the Dragonfly 3D controls seems to be limited to Vista. Apparently Aero and OpenGL do not play together well. It works fine on XP and also Vista if you turn Aero off. The only other issue I am having has to do with using the control with the Alpha runtime. They (Dragonfly) seems to be very responsive and easy to work with. The controls produce great looking charts (display and printing).

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

This has little to do with the title of this thread. But.....

Far be from me to suggest anyone use the tools that have long been in Alpha Five to generate charts without any activex stuff, but if you have lots of time to learn and experiment, you can do some simple charts--probably not so simple for all I know. The functions needed are in the Help file somewhere (look for things like ui_bitmap_create(), ui_printer_draw(), ui_shape_round_rect(), etc.). The good thing, from my perspective, is that you do not rely on crappy activex stuff or that a client even has something as dreadful as MS Office loaded. But make no mistake, one needs lots of time and patience to do a chart this way.

See sample attached of one that I did, as a report.

Ray

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Very presentable, Ray.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Griffin

Ray,

It never ceases to amaze me at what can be accomplished with Alpha (and a lot of blood sweat and tears) Fortunately, those crappy (not all are crappy) activex controls can save a LOT of time and money, and produce pretty nice results. For an inexperienced alpha user like myself to be able to see results after a few minutes of playing with it is amazing as well. I am glad Alpha has included support for tools that can be plugged in and usable fairly quickly.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

I agree that Alpha Five needs graphics that can be produced in minutes by novice users. I just wish they would come up with a way of doing it internally without resorting to things like activex controls, MS Office, etc.. As for rolling your own with Alpha's own raw tools as I have done, I must admit that it is so much work that I have done it only once and I am not aware of anyone else doing anything similar. Still, in my case it was an interesting project and once done it has been working flawlessly for years now. The existence of the raw tools makes me wonder whether someone a lot smarter than me (someone on Alpha's staff, preferably) couldn't use them to build an easy to use genie like graphics tool.

Ray

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

I'm not an excel guru, but the best graphs I've seen were created in excel via xbasic and then put in the report.
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Quote Originally Posted by martinwcole View Post
    I'm not an excel guru, but the best graphs I've seen were created in excel via xbasic and then put in the report.
    Martin,

I don't doubt that they are good and even semi easy (though I would argue that novice users need more than some semi easy xbasic).

But, how can you be sure that a client or prospective client even has Excel? Plus as we move forward in the next decade or so, more and more users and organizations are deciding that they can live without any MS Office product (I almost never use any of it myself). As for activex, I would have to provide and support a good activex tool, something I am not thrilled about doing.

In my case illustrated in an above post, I wanted a chart that would be totally independent of anything other than Alpha Five (including any provided Simple Chart activex). But in general, I realize that going down that route is not very practical--unless someone as good as I think you are would build a tool--which I only suspect is do-able.

Ray

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
    I agree that Alpha Five needs graphics that can be produced in minutes by novice users. I just wish they would come up with a way of doing it internally without resorting to things like activex controls, MS Office, etc.. As for rolling your own with Alpha's own raw tools as I have done, I must admit that it is so much work that I have done it only once and I am not aware of anyone else doing anything similar. Still, in my case it was an interesting project and once done it has been working flawlessly for years now. The existence of the raw tools makes me wonder whether someone a lot smarter than me (someone on Alpha's staff, preferably) couldn't use them to build an easy to use genie like graphics tool.

Ray
    Possibly on that note, maybe it's a lot of work, but it would also be great if Alpha Five had their own ActiveX charting component to plug into forms and reports - that way they would have even more control on getting it to work, and for developers to tweak charts with XBasic. Just a thought!

I did have a way of capturing an image from a chart on a form that would save to a JPG file, referenced in a report that would for the most part print fine - however the programming and effort needed to get that to work for all possible screen resolutions was too much. So on that note..... if anyone was wondering, the SimpleChart people have been in contact with me and expect to have the printing feature from reports fixed by possibly the end of June 2007. Let's hope it happens. I will be touching base with them again mid-May for an update.

awj :D
    Last edited by awj; 05-02-2007 at 03:11 PM.

"Certified" Alphaholic mmaisterrena's Avatar
    Real Name
    Mauricio Maisterrena

this may be stupid answer (comig from some one that still havent be able to put a graph a report) but why dont you make a "for print" version of your report where you over size you graph so when you print it it doesnt looks too small,
    *that considering that the generated thumbnail doesnt has a fixed size

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Griffin

Not possible.It does not scale the print size by making the graph larger.

I have solved the problem by using the control stated above.

thanks

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Griffin

Andrew,

BTW the active x control for the bar chart is 60.00 or 120 for a site license, same price for the pie chart control I am not sure if they work on web pages.

The folks at Simplechart also confirmed to me that they are working on the printing solution as well and it should be done my the end of this month, early next month.

Bill

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Griffin

Oops,

Make that towards the end of June, beginning of July

Bill

Real Name
    Andrew W. Janert

Andrew,

BTW the active x control for the bar chart is 60.00 or 120 for a site license, same price for the pie chart control I am not sure if they work on web pages.

The folks at Simplechart also confirmed to me that they are working on the printing solution as well and it should be done my the end of this month, early next month.

Bill
    Thanks for that update on SimpleChart. I have a question for you about that active x control you're referring to above for $60/120 - can we distribute it with our applications to our end users? I couldn't find anything clear on that.

thx, awj :)

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Bill Griffin

Andrew,

http://www.dragonflydas.com/Info.html has the license agreement. It LOOKS like you can distribute it, BUT I originally purchased the single user version and when I used it with a runtime it gave me a message that it was already installed on another system. I imagine that there software cannot distinguish the Alpha runtime from the Alpha development version. Since I have several systems in house, I purchased the site license, which does not give me that message. I only use Alpha in house so it is not an issue for me. I would check with Dragonfly, since it seems that you should be able to distribute the 60.00 version without a problem.

Bill