Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

V8 Claims Reports with Graphs supported!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V8 Claims Reports with Graphs supported!?

Hello All,

V8 enhancements state: "Printing report layouts with ActiveX controls is now supported (this means you can now print graphs in reports using the bundled SimpleChart ActiveX control). " at this page

But has anyone got it to work? I had ActiveX Simplecharts working on forms but not on reports. Placing working code into Alpha reports generates no graph! Even code for using MS Office charts doesnt work on reports...

Please advise

Re: V8 Claims Reports with Graphs supported!?

Your'e right - that's what is says on the box!
    Easy to do on a form, but probably mostly needed in a report.

I guess there must be a way. Selwyn will know how if he's (hopefully?) got a moment to show us all.

Comment

Adding charts to reports seems to work fine. The report I have uses a group break (one page per customer) and I added the code for the graph to the on record event (detail section) and placed the graph in the Group footer.
      Bill Griffin
      Parkell, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Parkell View Post
        Adding charts to reports seems to work fine. The report I have uses a group break (one page per customer) and I added the code for the graph to the on record event (detail section) and placed the graph in the Group footer.
        Hi there;

I can get my charts to display fine on reports no problem as well, but do you get a shrunken image of the chart when you print? If not, how did you get it to print exactly as it displays on screen?

Take a look at my posting: http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=67116

If you can get it to work, I'd love to know what you did as I think I've looked everywhere. SimpleChart support is virtually non-existent. My chart prints off on hard copy or a PDF as a tiny image at the top left corner of the active x position on the report. I think in general, it's because on screen it's displayed at 72 dpi, but when printing on a 300 dpi printer for example, the 72 dpi image is small because it does not print at 300 dpi. Just a hunch.

Any feedback is welcome!!

awj :)

Comment

Andrew,

When I first started playing around with Simplechart a coupe of weeks ago, I had no problem in printing them (to an HP deskjet printer). After seeing your post yesterday I tried priting to a pdf and, yes, I got the same results as you. I have NOT been able to print them out since. I know that this was a problem a while ago (tried it when I first got V8 and had the same thumbnal-like printout) BUT it was working as recently as a week or so ago. I have applied a couple of patches since. Have you submitted a bug report to Alpha yet?
          Bill Griffin
          Parkell, Inc

Comment

Hi Bill;

I had tried 5 different models of printers and PDFs to no avail. In terms of Alpha Five being informed, Richard Rabins is aware of the problem which was forwarded to Kurt as well. I should also mention I finally got an email from Nick Queenan of Imagiotech, the developers of SimpleChart, and basically his statement was this...

...The printing problem is proving somewhat intractable and hard to solve. The main reason for this is because of the fundamental way in which SimpleChart is designed internally. Please be assured that we are still actively working on the solution and based on our current progress I expect a fix to be available within 2 months..."

I have sent him back an email asking him to stay in touch with me progressively and that (of course) it's important to get this thing to print properly. I hate to wait yet another 2 months, but if they can finally fix the problem, and hopefully also improve their customer support they would definitely make a lot of customers happy!

Let's hope this gets resolved!! - awj :)

Comment

I cant get a graph in a report, only on a form.
              Can someone tell me how to get graph in a report?
              I think I'm missing something simple.

Many thanks
              Hodder

Comment

From the help file: Lookup Printing ActiveX Controls
                Printing ActiveX Controls

Alpha Five Version 8 allows you to print ActiveX controls placed on layouts in the following circumstances.

ActiveX controls not bound to data will print on forms and reports. In the case of reports, you may place them in any band of the report.

You may place ActiveX controls that are bound to data only in the detail band of the report. You also must insert code in the OnRecord event of the report to bind data from the current record to the ActiveX control.

Example

You may print a SimpleChart chart control placed in the detail section of a report using a script like the following in the detail OnRecord event:

Code:
                dim pChart as P

pChart = activeX1.activex.this
                pChart.Caption = ""
                pChart.ShowLegend = .t.
                pChart.LegendPos = 3
                pChart.ChartData.Clear()

pChart.ChartData.Add(simplechart->Key, simplechart->Data1, 0)
                pChart.ChartData.Add(simplechart->Key, simplechart->Data2, 0)
                Supported By

Alpha Five Version 8 and Above

See Also

Creating Charts with SimpleChart
                UFORTUNATLY, placing the control on a report and actually printing them results in charts tha look like thumbnls printed.
                Last edited by AaronBBrown; 04-27-2007, 01:00 PM.
                Bill Griffin
                Parkell, Inc

Comment

Andrew,

I downloaded an activex control for charting and it seems to work pretty good. Printing IS NOT a problem and there are a bunch of options. The only issue I had was using the 3d controls, and it may be Vista Problem. (You can actually acheiv a 3d look with the standard control with no problem.

The site where I downloaded it if http://www.dragonflydas.com. Not a bad price and the output is very nice looking. It appears that you can distribute with a runtime at no fee.

The also have some other interesting looking controls as well.
                  Bill Griffin
                  Parkell, Inc

Comment

That's cool! I'm going to check it out! Thanks for the tip!

awj

Andrew,

I downloaded an activex control for charting and it seems to work pretty good. Printing IS NOT a problem and there are a bunch of options. The only issue I had was using the 3d controls, and it may be Vista Problem. (You can actually acheiv a 3d look with the standard control with no problem.

The site where I downloaded it if http://www.dragonflydas.com. Not a bad price and the output is very nice looking. It appears that you can distribute with a runtime at no fee.

Comment

Hello Ian;

What I did on a report is first of all drag the SimpleChart control onto the surface. Then I added the following code for the OnPrintInit event:

Code:

'Date Created: 28-Mar-2006 09:05:07 PM
                      'Last Updated: 20-Apr-2007 09:40:04 PM
                      'Created By  : AWJ
                      'Updated By  : AWJ
                      dim chart as P
                      dim chartx as P
                      dim list as C
                      dim bgdate as C
                      dim read as N
                      dim read2 as N
                      dim c as colordefinition
                      chart = activex1.activex.this
                      list = table.external_record_content_get("tbl_results","measure + '|' + measure","bg_date")
                      chart.DataSeries.clear()
                      c.name = "Dark Red"
                      chart.DataSeries.AddLineSeries("Trend", c.RGB_Value, 3, 0)

for each x in list
                       read = val(word(x, 1, "|"))
                          read2 = val(word(x, 2, "|"))
                          chart.DataSeries(1).SeriesData.Add(read, read2)
                      next 
                      chart.refresh()
                      Hope that helps! You probably will want to tweak the fields and labels accordingly for your own chart. It looks great on-screen, but because of a DPI issue with SimpleChart, it prints out in hard-copy as a thumbnail - they are apparently working on a solution to be resolved in the next 2 months! I hope!

awj

Originally posted by hodder View Post
                      I cant get a graph in a report, only on a form.
                      Can someone tell me how to get graph in a report?
                      I think I'm missing something simple.

Many thanks
                      Hodder

Comment

Hi Bill;

Which product from dragonfly did you get? I noticed the Chart object is $300. Is that the one?

thx, :)

Andrew,

Comment

It looks like you have a BP monitoring package? They have some other cool things that you could probably add as well.

Good luck - FYI the color (OLE_COLOR) that they refer to in the documenttaion is the color codes tha VB uses. Some color pickers supply the VB codes that you can insert. It is definitly not as simple as simplechart, but it is way more flexible (and prints!!)
                          Bill Griffin
                          Parkell, Inc

Comment

Hi Bill;

It's a diabetes management application for which I'm trying to get charts into for my Version 3.0 release.

By the way, which product from dragonfly did you order? There's quite a few different ones there.

many thx, awj

Comment

I downloaded the activeX demo, which contains all of the controls. I beleive you can purchase them individually once you figure out which ones you need. I HOPE that support from them is better than the folks at SimpleChart, but so far, so good (other than the 3d problem I had)
                              Bill Griffin
                              Parkell, Inc

Comment

Working...
                              X