Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

WAS Memory Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WAS Memory Usage

Jon - I can test that out on my server over the weekend by refreshing on a timer. Does your page reload data from the standard DBF tables or an SQL source? Anything fancy about the page I should know?
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

It is big but very simple it just pulls the data from the local DBF's and shows 2 grids on the main page. Since I upgraded to V8 I have had this problem, using the old version of my database before rebuilding all the components for V8 it ran rock solic and maybe maxed at 100mb of ram usage. I reloaded the services 18 hours ago and right now it is 825MB of ram with no traffic hitting it. I love alpha but these issues with the WAS have me taking a serious look at going back to the dark side and recreating my application in .Net.

Steve any help you can give would be great cause I litterally have rebuilt everything trying to fix this. I even loaded the database on my desktop which is a dual xeon with 2gb of ram and it does the same thing. At first I thought I needed a bigger server. Sorry if I am rambling but it's late.

Comment

Another Side note is the service controls in the WAS application stop responding and the only way to reload the WAS is thru the TaskManager, or Reboot the system. But it will cause the server to hang on reboot waiting for it to stop.

Comment

Stop messing around with this, it's a bug - report it to Selwyn, this is not freeware, it costs, and it should not behave this way.
          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
          Albert Einstein, (attributed)
          US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Steve,
            I hear what you are saying, but this whole issue of the WAS locking up, has to do with the way it is managing memory. In my mind if the components are misbehaving then the WAS should be dealing with it and flushing them out.

The WAS is unstable because it is not managing its memory correctly. (However lets not forget there may be some other application on the server that could be the culprit )

This may be working okay on your servers, but on another server, the sequence of events may be different and the WAS must know how to deal with it if thats the case

I have been down this road many a time with system development and nine times out of ten, developers of the core code blame it on the environment and users and in the end it turns out to be in the system code.

As to the speed issues, I think speed is governed by good database design and yes with a Rapid Application development environment such as Alpha5, maybe I have to give up something on the speed side , as I really don't want to get into hand coding , then i might as well beat it back to PHP. BUT an unstable application server makes me very wary and that needs to be dealt with.

mmaisterrena
            You might have rectified the problem right now , but I still think the WAS was at fault for letting itself become unstable and this should NEVER happen as it is an appliction server and in a production environment this could lead to database corruptions and who knows what else

Comment

In an overnight expiremeint I used javascript to refresh a normal grid page every 30 seconds. db has about 10,000 records and the grid filters to about 10 of them.

I exited and restarted the App Server to get a fresh start.
              Memory started out at 60K and 0 CPU. CPU spikes to 60% each time the page is refreshed.

After 8 hours of refreshing the page, memory is 120K and CPU is running constant 30% with spikes again to 60% when the page is refreshed.

V8 latest release. Windows 2003 SBS.

I'll gather some more stats and report it as a bug. I want to monitor the server same time period with no page refresh and capture normal activity.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

On the first app I am building I have had 3 occasions when the CPU pegged at 100% and pages would not load. Had to end task A5. Fortunately this is still in testing phase and customer is not bent out of shape. Other than that it goes for days with no problem. Been up now for 4-5 days. CPU hovers around 3%, and jumps to ~98% on page loads, then back to 3%. Have not been tracking memory, but does not seem to be a problem.

I had felt that my problem had something to do with publishing, but have not had time to work through tracking it down. In my case it is very likely something that _I_ am/am not doing.

Bill.

Comment

Update - I turned in some stats and Lenny said they found a leak and will address.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Well done. My post showed some frustration with this issue, it was fueled by the seriousness of the error. My sincere thanks you and Lenny.
                    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
                    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
                    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Working...
                    X