Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

WAS Memory Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAS Memory Usage

Hello all,

I have V8 WAS with current patces running on a fairly large server. I am running a in house application with about three users.

I have been encountering a problem since going to V8 with memory usage going thru the roof and forcing me to reboot the WAS program. After about 2 hours in operation it will go to over 800MB of RAM usage and become slow to the point of being unusable.

I am wondering if others are encountering this problem, or if it is something with our application.

Thanks,
    Jon

Re: WAS Memory Usage

I have three servers running the latest v8 without any RAM issues. Here's my stats for last week for one machine:

http://www.alphatogo.com/AlwaysUpReport040807.htm

Its interesting though. This is a VPS and it consistently runs 8-10MB higher than on a dedicated server, don't know why.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

After upgrading to V8 we have seen something similar where the memory usage keeps climbing until the application stops responding.

It only happens after publishing files. Whenever I need to publish files on the server I do it after hours and reboot immediately.

Comment

I also have this problem. When I do, the CPU usage is usually between 50 and 80 percent and I can't exit WAS. I have to go to the Task Manager and remove the program and restart it. Then the CPU usage drops to almost 0. In v8 I have not definitively correlated this problem with publishing. It seems to happen even when I haven't published. Although I found this problem did also occasionally happen in v7 and much more frequently, if I was publishing pages.

WAS issues and slow page loads have forced me to drop Alpha and go back to ASP.net. About 4 months ago I started rewriting all of my alpha WAS apps in .net. It has been a hassle, but my customers are very happy at the quick page loads and the server stability. And ASP.net 2.0 actually has new controls that make development time pretty similar to A5 WAS and the whole platform including a report designer and SQL express are all free.

In .net, even my most complex grid pages usually load in less than a second. With WAS I am lucky if I can get a page with a grid to load faster than 2-3 seconds and more complex grids were more like 5-8.

Brett

Comment

I found there was one grid and datafile and pdf combination that could cause this, you need to test each request and check wich one is causing the memory leak. Since I found my problem grid and report, I just recreated them, since then I have not had a problem.
          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
          Albert Einstein, (attributed)
          US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

now this is happening to me it sucks,the WAS just stops responding for no aparent reasson it started to happend esporadicaly now is very frequent (Every 5 minutes, unusable). reinstaling the aplication didnt solved the problem.

can sombody help me pleasee
            Cheers
            Mauricio

Comment

come on
              no one has any tip for making the WAS more stabel?
              Cheers
              Mauricio

Comment

Turn on raw logging on the server. This logs the full incoming request as it is received and then the response when it is sent. This should help you determine which page is being accessed that causes the problem, at which point you can troubleshoot the code and/or component on that page.

Lenny Forziati
                Vice President, Internet Products and Technical Services
                Alpha Software Corporation

Comment

Mauricio,

The WAS just sits there until you make a request like submitting a page or clicking a link or something. So if you say it "stops responding", that means you are running some page and waiting for a response. So whatever page you are running is the problem; most likely the xbasic on that page, or an exchange between the page and the database. Can you describe what you are doing when it "does not respond"?
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

• does the raw option slows down the server response?
                    • do i have to se the last page loaded before the server crashed, or how will the raw txt file tell me where the error ocurred?
                    Cheers
                    Mauricio

Comment

The raw log will use up some resources, but you should only be using it to determine your problem. After you resolve the issue, you would turn it off.

I bet you it is one specific page or a report that is causing the problem. you can test every page your self and watch for if/when it crashes, or leave the log on and try to match up the log date-time to the time moment the server crashed.

I don't think its a problem with the App Server itself even thought I do see a few others on this discussion with similar problems.
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

It sounds like this has to do with a memory leak on the application server, which means the bug needs to be found urgently. This could also be the reason for slow response times.

Darn, I was getting very excited about this product, but issues mentioned in this thread could mean a whole lot of development time and expenses wasted on a dynamic application that in effect does not have the ability to scale.

Comment

Tony - Like I said, I bet it is not a memory or other problem with the App Server itself; its probably an application problem. There just are not a lot of reports of such problems (based on this forum or with my customers). Regarding scale, you can run as big a server as you want to handle larger number of users or high bandwidth, or you can use the Apache Module to spread your application across multiple servers to balance load. The speed of A5 pages have been reported to be plenty fast for most applications. To get ultimate speed, you need to hand code your pages and program in features such as AJAX, just like you would have to if you used PHP or another language.
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Tony
                            dont get scared, steve is right, the problem seems is actualy in the aplication itself not the WAS, I deleted all the plublished files, and republised all exept for a new module that i was working on an the problem has gone, something in that new modules was making the WAS to stop responding i now have to figure out where the error is.
                            Besides I bet all the other databases in the market have issues of their own.
                            Cheers
                            Mauricio

Comment

That is exactly the spot that I am at right now. I have a large application that I rebuilt 100% in V8 because I was told that some components may not work right. On my program there is one grid that people look at for unit status, and they refresh it about every 2 mins. After about 72 hours the server stops responding, when I look at the processes the was is using over 1.5GB of ram on my system that has 4GB all other services are still running ok. If you stop the WAS and reload the application it comes back just fine. I personally think it is a bug in the App Server.

The one thing I will say is that the V8 WAS is much faster than V7 was.

Comment

Working...
                              X