Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can Desktop apps be better than Web based?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Desktop apps be better than Web based?

I am currently developing an Alpha desktop application that connects to a MS SQL server remotely ( will change to MySql next week, it is faster). The speed and quality I see is magnificent. I would like to get some input from you alpha users as to the speed. I have the SQL Server installed in my home computer with a 1.5 MB download/1 Mb upload DSL connection. I have tried it from different remote connections and the speed is great. I am using Alpha DAO SQL.
    I am developing this application for a client. The biggest advantage when developing this kind of applications is that with a 3-user-runtime you can have unlimited number of users using this application!! The reason is because I installed the runtime in the client's computer and copy the "thin client" application to the computer and then access the remote server that contains the data. As far as I know there is no .MUF file therefore no restrictions on the number of users. Yes, I said thin client, but it is basically an Alpha application with some necessary tables to run. I have included the alpha application in this message because I need to hear from you guys your opinion about performance.
    The Username is: alphauser
    The password is: alpha

I want to hear your comments.
    The Mexican

Re: Can Desktop apps be better than Web based?

I tried all three addresses. I get the attached error...
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I'll check the login for the MS SQL Server, one second!!
      The Mexican

Comment

Sorry, guys the username is: AlphaUser
        the password is: alpha

I forgot it was case sensitive.
        The Mexican

Comment

Just logged in with 'alphauser' and 'alpha' all lower case on server 70.56.214.140

Speed seems quite good. After pressing the view all button it takes about 3-4 seconds for the dialog to appear with the records.
          Tim Kiebert
          Eagle Creek Citrus
          A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Prieto View Post
            Sorry, guys the username is: AlphaUser
            the password is: alpha

I forgot it was case sensitive.

Still no go
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

I was able go log on at 70.56.214.140. From PA, I see good speed, with delays less than typical of web app. With only a little addtional speed, only the most critical would comment on delays and right now, most would find it very acceptable.

Comment

Can't log in. Server down?
                I am not sure I follow your logic about "unlimited users" though?
                Alpha, at your home machine, being the "Server" acts as a gateway to SQL tables on some other "Server".
                If you have 3-users edition, only 3 users can access your home machine to perform the desired operation SUMILTANOUSLY.
                If you want to be nice to your neighbors and offered them each a copy of alpha (copyrights aside) to install on their computers, no matter what, only 3 of your neigbors can access your computer at one time. If not, alpha has a major goff-off.
                The MUF keeps track of the number of the users on your machine at home, not on the remote machines.

Comment

G Gabriel, have in mind that there is no alpha installed in the server. The only thing I have is the backend database installed, in this case MS SQL, but really soon it will be MySql.
                  Every user have the runtime installed in their computer with local .dbf tables necessary to run the application. The runtime keeps track of user count only when you are sharing .dbf tables on a computer/server. In this case there is no .dbf sharing at all. The data resides in the SQL server and it is access trough the runtime, therefore no .muf file.
                  trust me, unlimited users with a 3 user runtime.
                  When you buy the runtime module you can install it in as many computers as you want, the only restriction is that only 3 computers can access the shared .dbf files on a computer. In the case of SQL applications I repeat myself, NO 3-USER RESTRICTION!!
                  Is it not this great!!
                  I can see myself doing mucho pesos, without the need of learning HTML,CSS,Javascript, and HTML for a web application.
                  I'm still taking the web training course in Las Vegas.
                  hopefully I have the remote application done by the time i go to the conference.
                  The Mexican

Comment

Mario, I've thought about that approach, too. But how would you take an existing application that has thousands of records in dbf tables - and convert them all to mysql so you could use them via your approach?

An existing app would pretty much have to be rewritten, I guess, but I really like the idea of it, as I too don't want to learn several new languages.
                    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                    972 524 8714
                    [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
                      Mario, I've thought about that approach, too. But how would you take an existing application that has thousands of records in dbf tables - and convert them all to mysql so you could use them via your approach?
                      Taking the tables & getting into mysql is the easy part. I can take my 250mb of data & it would only take about 5 minutes to have the tables created & loaded in a mysql database. I think the work would be getting your application converted over.

Comment

what tools do you use to get the dbf data to mysql? and are you also taking memo field data?
                        Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                        972 524 8714
                        [email protected]

Comment

Converting existing applications could be cumbersome, but as a model for new applications, this is ideal.

Ver 8, Enterprise edition, with Xdialog: can both, read from, and write to, remote databases!!

I agree! This has tremendous potential.

In this way a desktop application, using extensive Xdialog forms, would always be displaying live data from the remote mySQL server.
                          Last edited by neil_albala; 04-23-2007, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Hi Mario,

I keep getting a "Cannot connect to DB" error message, but I'll keep trying. I'll be in the "Develop a Web App in 2 Days" class as well, so am looking forward to meeting you in Lost Wages next week.

Bob Arbuthnot

Comment

Mario:
                              Now that you explained your scheme: I see the possibility of unlimited users.
                              You are totally eleminating alpha and hooking the users to the SQL files (by virtue of alpha)..
                              Got it. You are not using alpha tables, no dbf. Got it. You could have as many users as there are users for the interent. Got it.
                              But:
                              Doesn't this eleminate your ability to design, structure, restucture tables, sets, field rules, validations, transformations, lookups etc?
                              You might say, I am switching to MYSQL. Then, why bother buy alpha? You don't need to buy alpha to get your users to your MYSQL.

By buying alpha, then eleminating alpha's dbf tables, you reduced alpha to a middle man between the users and the SQL tables. If that's satisfactory, so be it.

Comment

Working...
                              X