Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Make an exe to run alpha app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make an exe to run alpha app

You can make an exe to run alpha runtime and the end user would not be able to change start up options you need because it makes your own exe instead of alpha. Also, it is one of the ways to get your company name up top instead of alpha.

You need a copy of vb or somebody with vb can make it for you in 10 minutes. Here is the code for VB-3(you would need to include the distributable bvrun300.dll with the exe. You can also select your own icon for the vb code. You can also put your app in any folder and start the runtime. this one runs the runtime in the same folder.

Code:

Sub Form_Load ()
     Dim upspath
    upspath = CurDir + "\alpha5.exe"
    upspath = upspath + " " + CurDir + "\sales.adb -TITLE=UpsLog by K&D Consulting"
    upspath = upspath + " -ICON=" + CurDir + "\KD.Ico"
    c = Shell(upspath, 3)
    End
    End Sub
    Dave Mason
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Re: Make an exe to run alpha app

Dave,

You can use vbscript as well. In this case it starts A5v5 and the switches can be added as done in your example.

Code:
    'File: RunExe.vbs
    Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
    upspath = "C:\Program Files\A5V5\alpha5.exe -NODBCHECK"
    objShell.exec(upspath)
    Save it as RunExe.vbs.

However, this isn't an exe but you can use this also in Excel or Word (these are exe's :) ) as object code in VBA macro's.

Note: The Windows scripting host must be active if you use it as a vbs. Some users deactivate the Windows scripting host for security reasons.
    Last edited by Marcel Kollenaar; 04-23-2007, 05:18 PM. Reason: Added Excel/Word reference
    Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
    ---- Confusius ----

Comment

Marcel,

I have now converted this to vb6 which needs no dll file with it. The exe like i wrote it only uses 20kb. I offered if enough people wanted it to take the time to set up a txt, or dll file to be stored in the same folder that they could put their path in so the startup exe would read their path(s) and startup directions into the variable created. It is not worth it if only one or two want it. It would be easier for me to just make it and send it. I wold do this for grattus only.

Dave
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
        I have now converted this to vb6 which needs no dll file with it.
        The vbrun300.dll, that's the reason I referenced the vbscript. However the vbscript is not an exe and can be changed easy.

The exe like i wrote it only uses 20kb.
        Nice small.

I offered if enough people wanted it to take the time to set up a txt, or dll file to be stored in the same folder that they could put their path in so the startup exe would read their path(s) and startup directions into the variable created.
        It can be done with the VB/VBA privateprofilestring command to read an INI-file.

It is not worth it if only one or two want it. It would be easier for me to just make it and send it. I wold do this for grattus only.
        I hope you get it busy after your post and have to regulate it with a small fee. ;)
        Marcel

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
        ---- Confusius ----

Comment

vbrun300.dll is a file from microsoft that can be distributed free of charge.

Dave
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I won't charge anyone on here a fee for the exe file if from this forum. It takes only a few minutes to make it and send it.

needed:

name for exe file like: Myapp.exe
            all alpha paths as you will install your app on a user computer.
            arguments like you need to make alpha start the way you want.

Hope it helps you
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hey Dave,

My application name is CheckBookPro
              It resides in C:\CheckBookPro

I have the Unlimited Run Engine and v9 Plaium installed on my desktop and laptop.

Can you hook me up with an exe?

I used Astrum to create an install setup for my laptop, however, I did not include a desktop icon. I tried creating a batch file and compiling it to an exe, however, the dos window opens and it looks like crap.

I'm hiding everything at startup for I have my custom menus and toolbars running my app.

I wish that when you compile an Alpha App, it would create a single exe.

Thanks,
              Rudy
              Last edited by Rudy16; 08-22-2009, 06:09 PM.

Comment

rudy,

I also need the icon you wish to use. I can imbed it in the exe and makes it better. I also need the exact startup string you are using for your app.
                like:
                c:\programfiles\a5v9\alpha5.exe -NOSPLASH -ETC

My email is [email protected]

Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Dave,

I've attached a copy of my coins.ico. It's a Rar file. Right now I created a shortcut and use that. In my app, I hid everything because my Menus control everything. I also have hot spots that "show" and "hide" the Control Panel in case I have to tweek the system.

When I clicl on the shortcut, the Alpha Splash Screen appears first. If you can eliminate that, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,

Rudy

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy16 View Post
                    When I clicl on the shortcut, the Alpha Splash Screen appears first. If you can eliminate that, it would be appreciated.
                    From the controlpanel: tools/create shortcut

Also:

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...ne_Options.htm
                    Peter
                    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Hi Peter,

That's exactly what I did. It gives you the Green Alpha Icon.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy16 View Post
                        That's exactly what I did. It gives you the Green Alpha Icon.
                        Rudy,

Take a look at the attached image. The genie gives you options for splash screen, title and icon.
                        Peter
                        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Thanks Peter,

When I created my shortcuts, I did it in haste (did not take the time to look over the other tabs and parameters). Shame on me and thanks again to you.

By the way, GO CELTICS. I've been a Celtic fan since I was a kid. I use to take my childern to the old Boston Garden every year to see the Celtics play and spend a ton of money at the sporting goods store near the street entrance. Lets hope everyone stays healthy this year so we can make another run at the title.

Rudy
                          Last edited by Rudy16; 09-07-2009, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Here is an exe to run an adb file named any. It has a reference to any.startup. It runs alpha5 runtime from the Program files to start the any.adb from whatever folder it resides in(be sure all the files are in your folder with the adb files). You can put your startup commands in any.startup and it will be read.

The code is quite simple in vb to make this and with an app name and supplied icon named whatever you want (like: myapp.ico) I can set it up for you.

if your path is other than the default installation for a5, please let me know?

I am also supplying the icon I used when making this exe. It is what shows up in windows when you run the exe.

Here is the simple code I used to make this exe in VB6

Code:
                            Private Sub Form_Load()
                            Dim exepath
                            Dim upspath
                            exepath = "C:\program files\a5v9 RunEngine"
                            upspath = exepath + "\alpha5.exe "
                            upspath = upspath + CurDir + "\any.adb -INCLUDE= any.startup"
                            c = Shell(upspath, 3)
                            End
                            End Sub
                            commands currently used in my own any.startup is:

-TITLE="Ups Desk 9.11 by K&D Consulting 352-302-2015"
                            -MAXIMIZE
                            -SPLASH = "splash.jpg"
                            -ICON = "log.ico"
                            -NOSYSMENU
                            Last edited by DaveM; 09-25-2009, 03:30 PM.
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Note: This seems to work well with v7 and up.

Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                              X