Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

POS app-open source...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POS app-open source...

Hi everybody.
    Please share your opinions about creating the product's table so we can start this project.
    My first suggestion was to have following fields:

a. code(barcode)
    b. name
    c. unit measuring
    d. price-netto
    e. tax
    f. price-brutto
    g. on-stock(number representing how much is of this product on stock)

If you think we should add something, go ahead and submit your message.
    www.zeljkobobic.com

Re: POS app-open source...

1- Database - let's first make all necessary tables,
    We need Products table with following fields:
    a. code(barcode)
    b. name
    c. unit measuring
    d. price-netto
    e. tax
    f. price-brutto
    g. on-stock(number representing how much is of this product on stock)
    fields as it would be my way
    table = sales.dbf
    bcode c 22
    pre c 5
    first c 16 == Mr. Joe B. Jones Jr. or use last for company name
    mid c 16
    last c 52
    sur c 5
    instock n 10,2
    price n 10,2
    cost n 10,2
    weight n 10,4 for items sold so much per pound

Inv should be posted by a table/other means and not directly touched by user. any incoming merchndise need to be input on a screen and posted to inventory by any of a number of methods.

table = inv.dbf
    desc c 30
    bcode c 22
    count n 10,2
    costeach n 10,2 can be used per pound
    ppound L 1 denotes by pound

When an item is sold, it should be subtracted from inventory by some method to be determined by the group. if a return, it needs to be added back.

Need a table to cover returns to supplier for tracking?
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I've alread built a small retail system with cash drawer, customer info, product sales and inventory control. What about touch screen.

Comment

Hi,

Just a couple of things.

I feel that a separate unique (auto)increment field should be used along side the code field.
        Reason: it has been my experience that product codes WILL change sometimes even just because the case now has 48 items instead of 36. If you have to create a new product as a result (if you were using the code field as the unique identifier) you would lose all history on the product.
        Date fields maybe should be added for price changes--date changed. You could go further to automate sales on an item by having a default price and then for a certain "From - To" date have the sale price come into effect. Along with this, of course, a report would have to come out stating what prices were to be changed on what days so they could be noted for employees to physically change them for customers.

Just a couple of things off the top of my head.
        Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC View Post
          Hi,

Just a couple of things.

I feel that a separate unique (auto)increment field should be used along side the code field.
          Reason: it has been my experience that product codes WILL change sometimes even just because the case now has 48 items instead of 36. If you have to create a new product as a result (if you were using the code field as the unique identifier) you would lose all history on the product.
          Date fields maybe should be added for price changes--date changed. You could go further to automate sales on an item by having a default price and then for a certain "From - To" date have the sale price come into effect. Along with this, of course, a report would have to come out stating what prices were to be changed on what days so they could be noted for employees to physically change them for customers.

Just a couple of things off the top of my head.

There are all sorts of issues that could be addressed depending on how complex this is to be.

Price matrix/schedule for classes of customers such as walk in vs frequent buyer/established accounts.

Cost date so that cost changes can be tracked and sales subtracted from oldest inventory. Current inventory cost could be based on actual cost of on hand inventory. Gross profitability could be computed from price charged at time of sale less actual cost of item sold.

Along with this, of course, a report would have to come out stating what prices were to be changed on what days so they could be noted for employees to physically change them for customers.
          Shouldn't the system look up the price to be charged and if the sale date is within From..To period, use that price instead of the default?

My head begins to hurt when I try to consider the possibilities.
          There can be only one.

Comment

Stan,
            :) Of course the software would know the price but usually the customer wants to see the price too...so employees would have to know when to physically change the prices marked on shelves, etc and an automatic report for this is just something to consider.

Like you said so much can be involved with any POS system...I think the main idea now is to throw out the various aspects of what a huge POS system should be so that when designing a generic application these aspects can be allowed for in future development without having to redesign the entire structure.
            Mike

Comment

Since this is supposed to be an all inclusive POS app, All these things need to be considered and added as necessary.

I agree with those changes. Is my vote now counted??

Is it not possible to make the tables, but use different databases in the same directory for different applications?

Do we not need a user table for signing in and out? Possibly a way to track who opened what register/computer and signed in. Should we also track each thing that person did while on task? Should they have different abilities if a manager/owner/it?

LOL

Oh, who is going to make the actual first table.

Dave
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hi Guys

i am with Stan - if this is done right
                it will be quite large

i just looked at the inventory control file
                in my system and there are 54 fields in it
                you havent yet considered price matrixes
                taxable , tax vendor , multiple sales locations,
                various storage options, costing methods,tender options,
                customer levels,sales orders, purchase orders, and on and on

i dont want to throw cold water on your project
                but if i were to attempt such a thing i believe that i
                would NOT start with a blank sheet here

there are open source projects for this (that already exist)
                so the first thing i would do is download one and
                then take a look at their data tables , relationships,
                dependencies, keys, indexes etc.

there is no sense reinventing the wheel

from there you would have a good starting point
                and then could create your tables in a5 and then
                provide the functionality with xbasic

one opensource project that i know of is a java
                project freemercator- and there must be more
                do a web search on [opensoucre POS] and i am sure you will get plenty of hits

good luck
                regards

martin
                www.jollygreenthumb.com

Comment

Ok folks, let's start from here.
                  Now we have three tables and one form.
                  Come with your comments and suggestions....
                  www.zeljkobobic.com

Comment

just looked at the inventory control file
                    in my system and there are 54 fields in it
                    you havent yet considered price matrixes
                    taxable , tax vendor , multiple sales locations,
                    various storage options, costing methods,tender options,
                    customer levels,sales orders, purchase orders, and on and on
                    Martin,

Mine has 48 fields, but the companion inv cost/repairs has 7 more.

Tax: We need a field to hold sales tax and a field for the tax rate. That is easy in this county and state, but some have state, county, municipality, etc. What about tracking fuel taxes.

Ok folks, let's start from here.
                    Now we have three tables and one form.
                    Maybe design should come first? Lets make sure what fields we need before we make the tables?

Dave
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Well, I think you guys are going too deep into subject. My intention was not to make perfect POS app but to start open source project where everybody can contribute. So far, we had a lot of comments,suggestions etc. what probably makes begginers confused.
                      Please folks, we don't want to start a competition here of who knows more or who can do more. Just simply DO SOMETHING, but please don't complicate too much. Let's try to go from basic database's we need.
                      Come up with your suggestions, or download project that I've attached and make changes....
                      www.zeljkobobic.com

Comment

Zeljko,

I don't think the intention of most here was to confuse matters....but any project such as this, which eventually could become a very large project, should allow in its design the flexibility to accomodate the many other features mentioned. If what has been mentioned is not considered from the get-go, then what most likely would happen is we would have to have several basic POS applications here each which would accommodate various aspects of differing POS apps.

I applaud the ambition of this and think that it is a terrific way to help each other and new people. And sometimes to get something done, especially with more than one person involved, is to do as you suggested--just dive in and start--matters not where at first so long as some design strategy has been thought out...knowing full well that changes will most likely have to made.
                        Mike

Comment

Ok Mike, I agree with everything with Stan, Dave and others. Shell we finally start something otherwise I'll be too old for this :)
                          If someone can take my products.dbf and do necessary corrections, it would be a good start. Or, just look at it and say what you think....
                          (My father (God rest his soul) used to say, "It is nice to be a philosopher or politician when there is a crowed of people to listen and do the work for you")
                          www.zeljkobobic.com

Comment

Here is a beginning. Add or change what you feel necessary to do business. Lets all critique it and the changes.

I made no forms or sets yet but see a need for sets and lookups. We could also make a faster one utilizing variables and arrays co-mingled with the right forms.

I will make an exe to run it if anyone wants it once we get to that point.

Dave Mason
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

forgot zip.

I put it in directory: c:\opos and named db as opos.adb.

Dave
                              Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                              X