Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

POS app-open source...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: POS app-open source...

Dave and Zeljko,

I noticed Dave's field names are at or under the recommended 10 character number which is good--I personally have had some issues with fields when over 10 characters.
    I still maintain that a separate product code should be utilized for the products apart from the unique identifier--the reason is that product codes change more often than you would think and all product history would normally be lost if this was done if the unique identifier for the product was the only way to specify the product.
    Also, the standard practice of only using a numeric field when some sort of calculation is going to be performed means that the unique id should be character, not numeric. I also recommend that a prefix of some kind is used in front of each identifier--such as N for inventory, P for person , maybe SR for the salesregister. Just makes it so much easier to recognize what a field is when in design mode I think.
    Mike

Comment

Mike, Put it in and send it back. I think that is what we are supposed to do?

I just stuck fields in there to start. I too like short names, no spaces and no hyphens if any way possible.

We also need dates and times. There will be a need for a user table and a time and date table for when they are in the program/application I believe.

I estmate 10 - 12 total tables, some will hold thousands of records depending on the usage.

It might be a good idea if we also have a text file to keep track of the fields, who put them in and their usage? More ideas?

Dave
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave--I think it is an excellent idea to have a text file! What better way to document this project especially for anyone who comes on board at a later time or even when the project finishes for a new person to understand the whys and wherefors---sure would have helped me I think in the beginning of my first project. Now...should it be a separate text file or a memo field in the project itself maybe tied to a dummy table that would be used for any menus, application version, etc.? I will let you or Zeljko decide this as it seems that you two may be the driving force in this project.

Mike

Comment

Hi, I totaly agree with having changes written somewhere. In fact I added a table,form and a report for adding and seeing changes done so far.
          It will be easier for users to have that IN the opos project.
          Dave,
          do we need a field for a product measure in a meanining, some products are sold in kilos, some in pieces,bags,paks etc.?
          www.zeljkobobic.com

Comment

Zeljko,

A product "unit" size is important to have..and not hard coded but with a way for users to add/change what is there--I used one currently and have it from a field rule lookup using previous values--could be done various ways.

Nice job on the Log table--just what I sort of figured it should be.
            Mike

Comment

Hi all,
              I will try and input my opinions on this project (if wanted) but as I do not have A5V8 any modifications done by me may detract from the project---when I edit something done in later versions many things revert to my V5 looks and also some things that version 8 people put into the application simply will not work in V5.
              Mike

Comment

One way to keep track of your development changes is to create a help file and add a custom form so you can edit it outside form development. Then changes made to forms can also be noted when you do edit. After you let Alpha create a help file, just add it to the database. By adding your own custom form you can then print the help records, a list of Chapters & Topics, etc.
                Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Hi,

I put in the pounds field for the measuring. if done right, it should be able to handle it - pounds and perpound basically could be kilos. We use pounds and ounces in USA.

dave
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I added date and time to register and calced them so they pickup the proper.

I like the blog

Dave
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                      I added date and time to register and calced them so they pickup the proper.

I like the blog

Dave
                      Ok, I can say "IT'S STARTED!":D
                      It's nice to see that everyone is adding comments, and I see some new people too.
                      Dave, it isn't important are you using pounds or kilos, because anyway you can enter needed unit in the table.
                      I'm really tired tonight. I can't check the project now, but I would like to know what's the next move...
                      www.zeljkobobic.com

Comment

I think a login and logout table for employees with possibly a register number. We need a table called log(or something) with date/time/employee number/register number???

Dave
                        Dave Mason
                        [email protected]
                        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Well, my friend, that shouldn't be a problem. I think we will need:
                          a. ID
                          b. Name, last name
                          c. password
                          optional:
                          limitations in work...like:
                          a. can see other's users invoice- yes/no
                          b. can modify invoice - yes/no
                          etc....
                          www.zeljkobobic.com

Comment

a. ID
                            b. Name, last name
                            c. password
                            optional:
                            limitations in work...like:
                            a. can see other's users invoice- yes/no
                            b. can modify invoice - yes/no
                            etc....
                            I already have one set up I can just drop in.

It has id, name, address,etc, code for work that is c 1
                            I use it like 1 lets you look around, 2 lets you print a few reports, on up to 9 that allows anything. It supplies the user and password information on start of the app.

we also need a company table for the name of the store/facility.

I'll drop it in complete so we can change as needed.

Dave
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Interesting thread... personally, I'd save the login/ logout part til last. Unless YOU want to have to login during development.

(2 cents was all I had!)
                              Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

I found some more change... I wouldn't use previous values for these lists because it will create those darn "case_preserve" indexes. I would instead make some small tables for these, then if you want to modify or add more options, all you need do is add a record to the list table - whereas changing the field rules would be more difficult. Use the field rule lookups instead for these tables or small static lists that you do not want to be able to add any more options. Planning the quickest/ easiest way to get accurate data into the fields, I think, is an important part of the initial development. Akin to normalization.

Oh, and thinking of those case_preserve indexes - LBS would be listed in addition to lbs or Lbs...
                                Robin

Comment

Working...
                                X