Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Would you please stop loving these tabbed objects?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you please stop loving these tabbed objects?!

I seem to a remember a post by someone who had troubles with tabbed
    I think Tom Cone might have asked a couple of years ago about an alternative to tabbed object.

Comment

While were are at it, I spent an hour trying to find a nice looking telephone icon! I couldn't find any in alpha, and had to make this ugly looking one for now.

Comment

Gabriel,

I tried very hard to come up with one good reason to use a tabbed object, and couldn't come up with any. Can you?
        I have one good reason..although I realize that you most likely will not think it so!! :)

Having used an application with tabbed forms everywhere I agree that most of them could be replaced with buttons, lookups, what-have-you...but

the one tabbed style I do like and believe it makes my forms more user friendly (meaning easier to understand and less mouse-clicking or keyboarding), are the ones that simply use the tabs for various sorting needs--the most common ones. (used to sort an embedded browse).

I know sorting can be done many, many ways but most involve a two or more step process whereas tabs is a single one....and YES a single step vs two or more IS more user friendly!!! My current business software has several areas in which multiple steps are used to access various aspects of a process---it not only drives me nuts after the 10th time having to do these steps (especially when my replacement App will do most of them in ONE step) it also takes up valuable time--a few minutes saved in many businesses can really add up in a very short time period.

Of course separate buttons could also be used for these sorting needs---but isn't that basically what tabs are to people when they look at them? (I know they are not). Tabs are just simpler to use and sometimes more intuitive for some simple things.
        Last edited by MikeC; 05-07-2007, 06:07 PM. Reason: more info...
        Mike

Comment

I am not really sure what do you mean by using tabbed object for sorting?
          and no, tabs and buttons are not the same: tabbed object is loaded, each page with a bunch of fields that you may or may not even look at each time you open the form. The biggest drawback for tabbed objects is you are loading so many fields in memory and you may or may not even use them and most cerainly, not all of them at the same time. Why not call the fields you need when you need them and when you are done with them, close them down and keep your memory free?

Comment

Hi,

Look at the screenshot and you should see what I mean by "Tab Sorting"--each tab has the identical browse but sorted differently....I know...How inefficient!! But sometimes to make something more user friendly I feel certain things should be done even though they might be redundant, inefficient, or sometimes just incredibly hard to achieve.

And agree totally with what you have said but nonetheless will still sometimes do things contrary for the reasons already stated! :)

Mike

Comment

Now, compare that with the "Sorting" that you could do as in the screenshots I attached!

Your form, has 3 browses? how many fields are these and how many records? and how many calc fields? That's a lot to load in memory, isn't it?!

Again, I am not saying there is anything wrong with that. You could ride a mule to work if you want to. You have to get up at 3 in the morning though!

I strive for the best, the simplest, the cleanest and when I achieve that, I start looking for something even better. Tabbed object, is not even on the list anymore, and hasn't been for quite sometime.

I am only offering some thoughts to those who are in the process of building or re-doing their applications, to think of better alternatives.

Comment

OK, I'll bite too:

One not so great reason but a reason nonetheless is that some users like tabbed objects as opposed to buttons opening new forms. Some would say tabs simply look better, more professional or whatever.

One other reason might be this: Say you want a screen, the top half or so being basically "header" data that all users need to see at all times. The bottom half can either be a tabbed object with, say, 4 tabs or alternatively 4 forms that open/become visible with the press of a button on the header form and where all the tab/bottom form data is related to the header data either by being in the same table or in a set. This is easy to do with a tabbed object. Using forms that open would seem to present problems that do not seem easy to deal with (did not say it can't be done): Getting all the various forms to open at just the right location, not allowing them to be moved, getting all of them to page (next/previous) in sync even when they may all be based on one file or one set, and finally when interaction (e.g., validation) is need between fields on the header and other forms, it is at the very least a bit more difficult. I did try switching from tabs to buttons and forms on one app not long ago and for these and other reasons I do not remember right now, I gave it up and went back to tabbed objects for the lower half of the screen. But then I am not the super genius with this stuff that some of you may be.

Finally, one more place where it would seem that a tabbed object is pretty harmless: A main menu operating off of a dummy table with, say, separate tabs for forms, letters, reports, maintenance operations and so on. Just makes for neat organization and is easy to setup and deal with. Yes, you could do it all some other way but this seems like a pretty good and harmless role for a tabbed object.

Don't get me wrong: I am not an advocate for tabbed objects, don't use them willy nilly and and welcome ideas for better, less troublesome alternatives. But I also don't think they are always quite as awful as some seem to think.

Ray

Comment

MikeC:
                  By the way, you don't need to put a tabbed object and 3 browses to sort them differently: you could get rid of the TO and the other 2 browses and just use buttons in the title to sort any and every column Ascending or Descending. You will have more functionality, it will look better, perform better and lighten the load on your memory.
                  Last edited by G Gabriel; 05-08-2007, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Some would say tabs simply look better
                    Yeh.. it's that love thing again. Incidentally, you could make your buttons look like tabs if you love them so much.

Getting all the various forms to open at just the right location, not allowing them to be moved, getting all of them to page (next/previous) in sync even when they may all be based on one file or one set, and finally when interaction (e.g., validation) is need between fields on the header and other forms, it is at the very least a bit more difficult
                    Actually, this is as easy as ABC: lock the locations of the forms.
                    By the way, I mentioned before, I don't use much of that anymore. I prefer the look and behavior of a web page, a smart web page, something like for example a shopping cart web page: you have all the items you selected, then if you want to update the price to include the shipping, only that part of the page will change, same if you want add or remove an item or add taxes etc.

Comment

I am with Ray, he quoted
                      the top half or so being basically "header" data that all users need to see at all times.
                      I used to have the accounting system setup with different forms. It was a BIG HASSLE waiting for the change of forms, I changed to the the tabbed objects and we have fallen in love with them, the info on the tabs displays much much faster than changing forms.

Example, for an invoice, the top is constant (as Ray mentioned) I have 7 tabs for that invoice which includes invoicing info, shipping info, items ordered, accts receivable, invoice adjustments, scaled down permanent customer info....etc. When a customer calls we have all the info at our finger tips. I personnally, will not go back to multiple forms for my application....

my 2 cents worth.....

Comment

G,

I can see how it can be done without using tabs...and in the future may very well use the alternate method most of the time if for no other reason of the maintenance issues involved with tabbed objects. But you have to realize that when us novices find something that is intuitive and fairly simple to set up (a tabbed form) compared to other methods that is what will be used! That and the fact I simply modeled my first application after software I am currently using---which has more tabbed objects than even I ended up using--got rid of 5 at least.

I can see Ray's point absolutely--I don't care if it can be done other ways. I feel it is much simpler to do what he described with Tabs (maybe this will change once I know more??)....the only reason for not doing so is if it truely does make a significant impact on memory (and does it??? you sounded not so sure when stating this.)

Gabriel, you have to try to consider something when taking a stand such as this---the abilities of your audience is not always even close to your own...what may seem easy and intuitive to you is not for many novices. As a result the "easy" way out will be taken and should not be considered wrong or bad simply because of inefficiencies so long as it works. I do appreciate learning about alternate methods and will use them but only after I become more proficient.....hopefully that day is not that far off but until then I think Tabbed Objects will still be a part of my applicatons! There....another reason for using Tabbed objects!! LOL :)
                        Mike

Comment

Gabriel,

I really like what you did. I'm not really very fond of tabs either, but until I see something else, I use what I know.

This looks like the makings of an excellent article for the newsletter, "Alternative to Tabbed Forms". Or maybe you could put a working example into the code archive.

Ron
                          Alpha 5 Version 11
                          AA Build 2999, Build 4269, Current Build
                          DBF's and MySql
                          Desktop, Web on the Desktop and WEB

Ron Anusiewicz

Comment

MikeC:
                            I hear you..
                            My 90 years old neigbor up until few years ago was still driving his 30 years old MG. (I think it's MG, it's something that looks like a car anyway..).

He is not driving now because he's no longer mentally competent, but if he were, I suspect he would still be driving the same car.

The sad part is, his grand son is driving it now!
                            Some things must be hereiditary!

Comment

Ron:
                              I wish it would be something you could put in the code archive, but it really isn't a code. It's a matter of using tools other than the basic bread & butter to present the information in a more visually appealing format.
                              I hate clutter. That's just me. I get dizzy looking at a form that has so much stuff, you don't know where to start.

Comment

My two cents.

I like using the tabbed object in a form used to display information to the user. It's intuitive (if designed properly) and easy for them to learn. However, I've found it very difficult to use these controls on forms used for data entry. Unless I spend a lot of time building in safeguards, I find that the users will bounce from tab to tab leaving unsaved and incomplete record "fragments" in their path. Since Alpha is a table based system, I know the records need to be saved into separate tables, but the user thinks the entire form, including all tabbed pages, is a single record that can be saved to disk with a single button push. They are surprised when Alpha commits a record to disk sometimes, and confused when it doesn't in others. Using popup data entry forms that are table based is often a good solution. You must choose between competing priorities as you develop your design, since the objectives are: intuitive interface for the user, speedy data entry, rock solid data integrity. The controls you use for your app will / should vary depending upon the needs of the customer and the setting in which the database will be used. If I were designing an app for a high volume call center my data entry controls and the interface presented to the user would be very different, for example, than if I were designing an app to maintain a membership list for club or church.

Comment

Working...
                                X