Alpha Video Training

Thread: Web application and database design

Real Name
    Zawawi Abdullah

Default Web application and database design

How many databases needed for a complete membership based website? With its logging form, registration form, search form and e-commerce facilitation for shopping cart over severals merchandise items. Forecasting participation from the whole world, online population at 1 billion users. How big the database should be? And how the web application be able handles all the query made to the database? I was quite blank over the development specification though its just an idea, I simply imagining how it should look and also how I see most website have done it with the use of ASP and MS SQL, even with PHP and MySQL. Both of these, are way over too difficult for me. Thanks everyone.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Default Re: Web application and database design

Its very difficult to provide a complete answer to such a broad question. Yes you can build what you are after using A5, but the specifics of cost and number of tables, etc. are going to be determined by your design. For eCommerce, you might look at the Alpha product called AlphaSportsWeb as a template.

Also, you may expect 1 billion some day, but that number would not be right away. So you could build your application with a more reasonable expectation of maybe 10,000 using the native DBF tables in Alpha, and then expand to an SQL database as the volume increased.

You might submit a request to the professional services group, but should provide a more detailed description of what you want to create.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Zawawi Abdullah

Default Re: Web application and database design

Thank you so much Steve,

Really appreciate it. Yes, I do have in fact consider to have my project send for reviews. Yet, I'm aware it is not going to be cheap especially from a certified consultants. If its going to need me to spend another $5 to $10K, I should better off sat for a complete online course for Alpha 5 as offered by Intellectual Business Solution and buy all the books on sale on Alpha software website.

Thanks again Steve. I will posted some more threats after this. Been evaluating the trial copy just got it yesterday. Might also buy it when the trial ends. First, I need to study all of its features well.