Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Embedded browse & disappearing records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Embedded browse & disappearing records

Tom, I'm having problems with both a saved browse and the standard browse inserted using the tool. This is ina simple set with no field rule on the linking fields. This same form is working great in A5V5, V6, V7 and only in V8 am I having the problem. When I copy the set from a V5 or V7 folder it starts out great and then when I modify it in any way it starts getting goofed up. I copy it back to the V7 or V5 folder and it works great. All I know is that it works and works well in every version of Alpha except V8

Comment

Fred,

As Tom wrote:
      Fred, suggest you post a working copy of the app here so we can verify your findings on our machines.
      If you don't want to post your actual app, post a small sample db demonstrating the problem you're seeing with detailed instructions on how to reproduce it. If one of us can confirm it, we'll have the basis for a bug report. And, contrary to your earlier post, I've never submitted a bug report that wasn't responded to by the A5 team promptly (like within 5-10 hours), and have usually had a beta patch in hand within 24 hours.

Bob Arbuthnot

Comment

To follow up with Bob's reply....

I too have had great success with Alpha's response to bug reports.

If you have not done so you might try deleting and then re-creating your browse in Version 8 (or make a similar embedded browse on a test form). I seem to remember that early on with Version 8 there were some issues when bringing over a browse from an earlier version. I think Alpha addressed this but it would be a quick thing to try to see if it resolves your problem.

I will say the one thing I have seen with the embedded browse that has made it act odd for a moment is after entering a new record that the browse row focus will move all the way to last record (the record you just entered) - thus moving the records above off the screen. A simple page up will show them again but for a quick moment you wonder "Where did my records go?" In my case it was easily solved by increasing the browse height to be the same as whatever the total of the row heights were. In other words, if the physical browse height was displaying 5 1/2 rows - resize it to display 6 rows. I will have to play with this again to 100% verify but I remember by doing this that it solved my problem.

Regards,

Jeff

Comment

Fred, I appreciate the clarification, and understand your disappointment. However, I don't see the problem using AlphaSports, and the Invoice form, for example. Nor do I see it in my own apps. Do you see the same scrolling issue using AlphaSports and the invoice form? If not, then that is a good sign you're doing something differently.

From other threads I've learned that Alpha spent a lot of time working on the browse control for Vers 8. A lot of changes were made. It's clear that something which used to work for you is now behaving differently. This is not surprising since these are complex controls. If you want to help Alpha identify the specific cause for your problem I recommend, again, that you post a working model of your database here so that I and others can investigate its differences a la AlphaSports. Otherwise I'll infer that the problem isn't worth your time trying to solve, so it must not really be very important to you.

Comment

Well, I'mm going to do the ultimate test today. In a seperate directort I'm going to recreats the database set from scratch using V8. That way I can tell if it is a problem in the old code from the original V5 or a real V8 problem.

Comment

The Answer

I created a seperate folder and using V8 built the set from scratch. Modified the form, placed buttons on it. Made the saved browse layout for the 2 tables in the set. It works fine.

Lesson: Converting from V6 or V7 may not be an issue and from V5 if you are not using a set is fine. Every set I've built in V5 and moved over to V8 is having the same problem with browses. Now that I know this I will have to rebuild the sets in a new folder. For those converting from V5 over to V8 it might be better if you just create a new folder and created the same app in v8 from scratch.

Comment

Tom Cone wrote:
                Bob, do you see the same problem using the Invoice form in AlphaSports? I'm able to enter new items records through the embedded browse without having the previously entered rows scrolled off screen. Can you confirm the same correct behavior there?
                Tom, Alphasports appears to work correctly. Looked at the embedded browse code and looked no different than mine.

The strange thing about my browse is that... "AFTER" 5 records have been added the browse acts normally!
                I'll continue to probe, but I suspect it's a case where: The program was built with version 4.5 and upgraded over time to Version 8.

If it wasn't such a large undertaking... I'd start from scratch with version 8.

--Bob

Comment

Re: The Answer

Originally posted by rmssoftware View Post
                  I created a seperate folder and using V8 built the set from scratch. Modified the form, placed buttons on it. Made the saved browse layout for the 2 tables in the set. It works fine.

Lesson: Converting from V6 or V7 may not be an issue and from V5 if you are not using a set is fine. Every set I've built in V5 and moved over to V8 is having the same problem with browses. Now that I know this I will have to rebuild the sets in a new folder. For those converting from V5 over to V8 it might be better if you just create a new folder and created the same app in v8 from scratch.

Fred you might help all of us if you send an example of your v5 form to Alpha. They can then see what is going on & maybe make a patch that will solve everyones problems & save time by not redoing forms.

Comment

Beta Patch

One of the correspondents in this thread did send us an example of an app that showed an issue in his case with an embedded browse.

Thank you Bob Whitaker for an exemplary bug report - with sample data and a complete description of how to duplicate and recognize the problem.

We really appreciate it when someone sends in something concrete that we can test, confirm that an issue exists, make a fix and then be able to test that our fix has addressed the issue.

It is so much more productive than posting a message that says 'there are bugs in the browse'

Here is the URL to the BETA Patch that addresses the embedded browse issues that were revealed by Bob Whitaker's bug report:

http://downloads.alphasoftware.com/a...chdownload.htm

P.S. In response to some other comments in this thread: The embedded browse in V5 should be fully upwardly compatible with V8. This is true of V6 and V7 as well. There should be no need to recreate any app from V5, V6 or V7 when moving to V8. We have gone to a huge amount of effort to ensure that this is true. If you happen to have some application where this is not the case, just send it to us and we will fix it. We are 100% committed to ensuring that there is full upward compatibility.

Comment

Thanks for the update Selwyn!

The patch appears to work on my development machine. I'll test it out at the office on Monday.

Regarding your comments on good bug reporting from your users... you've every right to ask for complete information regarding their problem. A lot of requests for help are so vague that they literally need to be interpreted.

Personally I don't like commenting on another users problem unless I KNOW what I'm taking about so I don't get egg on my face!

It's sometimes difficult from our side as well... we need to probe computer illiterate users, and you know that story.

Once we agree the problem exists we have to go deep into a program that we haven't looked at in ages, and ask ourselves: "Why did I put that code in the CanSave event? Is that what's causing the problem?" Etc. etc.

Sometimes I'll do like I did in this thread... I'll confirm what the user is seeing in hopes that it will shine a bigger light on the problem ( I guess it worked {grin}), but if I have time, I'd write my own bug report.

Thanks again.. your support is very much appreciated.

--Bob

Comment

What ever Selwyn did in this last update fixed the problem. In my case I have no events of special code in the set but this latest patch did the trick. I copied the original tabels into the V8 folder as I had done so many times before when I was having the proble and then ran it with V8 and it worked like it did in V5. No problme s like before with the recodrs jumping around and blank lines being added. This patch comes none to soon as one of my customers who just received the V8 version called this morning and wanted to know what the problem was in entering his invoices. He said the amounts and catergories (set) were going crazy and wanted to know when it would be fixed.

Comment

I guess the problem was not totally solved or a new one created. When I am saving a record all the records would disapear and the last one would have multi copies fillling the browser.

Bad part is, once I tried to duplicate the problem so I could send in a bug report I could not.

Comment

Hello,

Beta patch problems. I used the full patch, and the runtime patch for testing.

Been having the same type of browse problems, and tried the Beta patch Selwyn posted.

1. At the control pannel, I can not go to the design mode on the Tables and sets tab, and form tab.

2. See attached PDF screen shot. This is a screen shot of the error message when I try and make a new form in the Full Alpha V8, not V8 runtime.

Going back to non beta at this time.

Thanks

Ed

Comment

Ed, the pdf image you uploaded suggests that you were inadvertantly running the runtime instead of the development version.

Comment

Hi Tom,

It is the full version of Alpha V8, that the error message is from.

I have to leave for a while, I am going to have to reinstall both the full and runtime.

Going back to the regular current patch, does not fix the problems.

Ed

Comment

Working...
                                X