Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

<OBJ>.duplicate_record bug in v7 good in v8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<OBJ>.duplicate_record bug in v7 good in v8

Hello,

I have discovered a bug in v7 that has been corrected in v8. It has to do with the
    <Object>.duplicate_record() function. Sorry for the length of this, but I have detailed it.

The attached in an example. The database is for people CONTACTS. It has One main data table: CONTACTS and two Forms: F_ContactsMain and F_ContactsEntry. The original database built in ACT! has husband and wife together in one record with either the man or the woman, whoever was the primary contact, as the primary in the CONTACT table and a field "Salutaions" that has both spouses names. The new database in A5 will have each person separated into independant records. The user wants to go through each record
    (there are hundreds) and make a few changes in each record, one change being the creation of a new record for the spouse of the person primary person in the CONTACT table.

The main Form: F_ContactsMain contains an embedded browse that displays all the table records. Stepping through the browse records, an OnFetch form event fires a script that probes the table for the presence of an existing spouse record. A yellow button with the text = MATE will 'show' if a spouse is present and 'hide' if a spouse record does not exist. This yellow button resides beneath the "Salutation" field that shows the names of the man and woman as it existed in the original ACT! database. I have created two scripts to enter the spouses into a new record,( Wife= pink button and man= blue button) one for man and one for wife. Upon viewing a 'salutation' with two people listed, and NO yellow button, which if present would indicate both spouses reside in the table, the user will be alerted to add the spouse to the database. Here is where the script that adds the spouse comes to play.

It does the following:
    1. Captures the uniqueID (Friend_id) of the contact from the F_ContactsMain form.
    2. Opens the F_ContactEntry form (based on the same table) and filters it the Friend_id.
    3. >>>>> v7 ERROR FOCUS <<<< Duplicates the record using F_ContactEntry.duplicate_record(2).
    4. Enters needed field values, commits record and closes F_ContactEntry form.

This works like a charm in v8, and errors out in v7 in step 3.
    My angst/dismay is I am 98% complete with a v7 build that NEEDS this function to populate/establish the main table of this application for users already having purchased a v7 package to run this application. Arg!!!

Any thoughts knowing a bug report for a v7 issue falls on closed ears?
    Mike W

Re: &lt;OBJ&gt;.duplicate_record bug in v7 good in v8

Mike,
    Am using V5 but if the problem occurs and can be fixed in my version the same should be true of later versions I assume.

Am not entirely sure of the problem but it seems to work except that the color does not change to yellow when adding a Man but does for adding a Wife (guess women are just more colorful than us ,eh?).

Out of time to do more now but will look into this more when back if this is indeed the problem?

Edit: Or is the problem that when the yellow Mate button is pushed the corresponding Mate record comes up???
    Last edited by MikeC; 05-21-2007, 11:00 AM. Reason: more info
    Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike,
      Here is copy with CP showing. Sorry for the problem.
      Mike W

Comment

I resurrected my v6 and tested it there. Worked just fine! So,

v5: Works (via MikeC)
        v6: Works
        v7: NO, does not work
        v8: Works

>>>> v7 bug! I reported it. Wish others might confirm. Thanks
        Mike W

Comment

Selwyn just confirmed this as a bug and added:

so if you want to duplicate a record in V7, you will need to use you own Xbasic script to do the job rather than the high level .duplicate_record() method (which is really just a wrapper around Xbasic code that duplicates a record).
          I might need some help with this one. I'm envisioning arrays, and for_next(), and having to use evaluate_templates(),..... oh bother!
          Mike W

Comment

Mike (W), it may be easier than you think. Check the examples in the help file discussing <tbl>.enter_begin() and <tbl>.enter_end(). There's no reason to open other forms, or populate arrays. It's a matter of getting the field values (either from the user or from the currently displayed record) and then assigning them to the fields in a new record.

Comment

Tom,
              <tbl>.record_clone(),huh. Very cool! That's a new one for me. Thanks a bunch!
              Mike W

Comment

Well record_clone() doesn't work either. Here is a related thread.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=67585

But Martin's method of tbl.record_data_get() and tbl.record_data_set() seems to work great, so I post this solution here for completeness.
                Mike W

Comment

Working...
                X