Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How are you hosting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are you hosting?

Hi,

I'm a new Alpha 5v8 user and I plan to host my application using the Alpha 5Web Application Server. I'm unsure as to the "best" way to go. If you would be so kind as to share your experiences, I'm interested to find out your sucess (or lack thereof) using a commercial Alpha Hosting service, a VPS based service (with your own WAS, that you administer) and whether people have been sucessful runing the WAS fromn a Shared Web Hosting service. I'm not considering hosting on my own PC, because my ISP charges approx. $100 for a static IP account capable of accessing my PC as the Alpha WebApplication Server. For that price, I can let somebody else host and administer the application. If there are viable alternatives I have not mentioned, please let me know..

Thanks,
    Chuck

Re: How are you hosting?

I think you'll find all the info you want if you just follow the related threads below your message here.
    -Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Workings View Post
      I think you'll find all the info you want if you just follow the related threads below your message here.
      Steve,
      Thanks for the pointers. There was some interesting information there, but not "all the info I want". The impression I get from reading those threads is that Web hosting alpha 5 is, at best, a black art, and is at worst a black hole. Please feel free to correct me if this is an unfair conclusion!

What I want to be able to do is use my ISP, 1and1.com, to host the alpha 5 Web Application Server and subsequently host my web application on that WAS.

I have no interest in setting up an alpha five hosting business, though I may be interested in using one if the price is right

My current Web Host account is a very reasonably priced, yet generously endowed shared-server Miocrosoft host. Sadly I have thus far been unable to get it installed by 1and1, even though alpoha support assures me it will work (long story --Will relate only if asked). I do have the option of getting a VPS account, but that will cost 10x what I'm paying now, and I have no idea what to do with a VPS once I have one. In any case, it appears that the firmhost.com asdministered alpha 5 server is cost competative withmy vendors VPS solution. So I'm trying to find out what others have done to try and get an unserstanding of the WAS landscape.

Comment

Chuck,

I have a presentation on that topic at my website. All current information presented at the 2007 Alpha conference. See the site below, under the For Developers section. Or click here.

Short answers:

Its true that the Hosting area is under attended and under supported; unforgivable so.

You can't host with your low cost shared ISP, the'll never let you.

VSP is the least cost, aside from hosting on your own hardware.

You should be able to get a static IP for like $8. Can't figure why your ISP wants $100. You probably told them you wanted it to support a web server. Next time you call, don't tell them that. Just say you need a static IP address because you feel like it. I didn't say that.

Of all the A5 web apps, 2/3rds host on their own hardware in their office (not sure of the source of that information, but I saw a chart). Hosting yourself is easy and convenient. You just need DSL.

You don't need a static IP address. Try www.no-ip.com as a solution. Several of your peers use this method to 'fake' a static IP address.

www.firmsupport.com and www.zebrahost.net are the two most prominant managed Alpha hosts.

I host Alpha apps for my customers only. Several other consultants do the same. It costs too much and has too great a liablity to become an official Hosting company to a larger audience.

If you have a high amount of traffic or a mission critical application, some of my answers above would change.

I would be very interested in your story about land1 and Alpha support; private email if you prefer.
        Steve Wood
        See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
          Chuck,

I have a presentation on that topic at my website. All current information presented at the 2007 Alpha conference. See the site below, under the For Developers section. Or click here.

Short answers:

Its true that the Hosting area is under attended and under supported; unforgivable so.

You can't host with your low cost shared ISP, the'll never let you.

VSP is the least cost, aside from hosting on your own hardware.

You should be able to get a static IP for like $8. Can't figure why your ISP wants $100. You probably told them you wanted it to support a web server. Next time you call, don't tell them that. Just say you need a static IP address because you feel like it. I didn't say that.

Of all the A5 web apps, 2/3rds host on their own hardware in their office (not sure of the source of that information, but I saw a chart). Hosting yourself is easy and convenient. You just need DSL.

You don't need a static IP address. Try www.no-ip.com as a solution. Several of your peers use this method to 'fake' a static IP address.

www.firmsupport.com and www.zebrahost.net are the two most prominant managed Alpha hosts.

I host Alpha apps for my customers only. Several other consultants do the same. It costs too much and has too great a liablity to become an official Hosting company to a larger audience.

If you have a high amount of traffic or a mission critical application, some of my answers above would change.

I would be very interested in your story about land1 and Alpha support; private email if you prefer.
          Steve,

Good stuff! Thanx! I'll go off and try to read through iut all and digest what I can, before returning here with additional annoying questions. :D

Time Warner Cable / Road Runner, doesnt charge $100 for a static IP address, per se. Rather "a static IP@ is available only with a business Account". That is what costs $100. Now to be fair, there is more in the business account than just a static IP address: e.g. higher speed connection and better management service I believe. But I'm looking for best price not best features, right now.

I've only had one other request for "the long storey" so I'll send it by Email, so as not to clog up the forum.

Comment

Steve,
            You said: "You can't host with your low cost shared ISP, the'll never let you."

Is there a good reason for the Web hosp provider to feeel that way??

Comment

I probably shouldn't say all, but probably all.; and that its based on my observeration and other comments here, I could be wrong for some ISP's.

But it's partly a matter of numbers - there are a smaller number of Alpha web apps compared to those using PHP, ASPX, FP and other technologies. Your ISP would have to understand the Alpha web server, manage the installation and updates, provide for Alpha email profiles, automatic engine restart, not to mention pay for the server software, etc. All this, for what market? A relatively few users.

To host most web sites, your host provides a server with mostly open source, time tested and highly available software. An ISP can charge you $8-16 per month because the environment is cheap and they can host 10,000 websites, spreading support costs across that customer base.

The trade off is that your Alpha web app can be more quickly modified than many of those other technologies. And you (the larger You, not you specifically) are able to make those changes without consulting an IT person proficient in PHP and other coding knowledge.

But it is a trade off.

If and when Alpha makes the app server just another 'plug in' for the ISP where it takes no effort or special knowledge, it will be more likely that any or all ISP's could easly accept Alpha web apps.
              Steve Wood
              See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
              X