Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Multi Company Accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi Company Accounts

There was a thread 'Multi Company Accounts' back in A5 Version 6 which discussed various methods of having a master application in one directory with sub folders for each company's set of accounts using thesame application tables and sets.

For example using shadow tables or zip and copy to save having multiple copies of the same application to maintain when an update is developed.

Now we are into Version 8 I wonder whether anyone has any further thoughts on this topic. Mike Vance

Re: Multi Company Accounts

Mike,

This can as a part of your application and it is all in one app with one set of tables. No company sees the other companie's data and further, no sales person sees another sales person'd data within each company. You can also set it up so a bookeeper sees only the data for their job, a receptionist sees only his/her data. It can all be done in one app with one set of tables. All files are in one folder.

There have been several discussions about this from time to time.

If you need ideas on how to do that?

Dave
    Last edited by DaveM; 05-22-2007, 11:30 AM.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I suspect a main issue would be record count

My largest client has 2 companies and each company has several offices.

the customer number is 9 digits
      the first 2 digits are the company(allowing for up to 99 companies)
      the second 2 digits are offices(allowing for up to 99 offices)
      and the last 5 digits are for the client(allowing for up to 99,999) clinets per office

010100001 is company 1, office 1, client 1
      020900985 is company 2, office 9, client 985

this system has been in use since 1999.

in the autoexec, when they log on, I determine the company and office and store then in constants. On the forms, based on the constants I can conditionally display different titles, etc.

Since this customer has only about 26,000 clients, and at the outside 50,000 records in any of the child tables, it works well. But if they had say 250,000 clients, I would most likely split them up.

(Although, just for the record, I know of one developer that has a very very large app, that has as of about 6 months ago 2.6 million records in one table that is used on 50 workstations where over 1,000 new orders are logged in every day - he is still in V5. I shuddered when I saw the tables, but with his hardware - which is ultra modern/fast/etc - it works!)
      Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
      972 524 8714
      [email protected]

Comment

the customer number is 9 digits
        the first 2 digits are the company(allowing for up to 99 companies)
        the second 2 digits are offices(allowing for up to 99 offices)
        and the last 5 digits are for the client(allowing for up to 99,999) clinets per office
        I do this quite differently:

1 I had not very good experiences with concatenating companies, offices and employees into a field. I use an autoincrement character(8 spaces) "acct" field just to keep records together. Each record(customer) inherits the company code and so does any child record explicit to that record.

I have 2 digits for company in the company info that will allow up to 99 companies and a 8 digit field for the user code.

Each person/office using the software( salesperson, manager ) has a user code, and is assigned to a company(they could be in there 2 times if needed with different user codes) and they a have a permissions setting of 1 to 9 with 9 being the highest.
        Each form/report/browse/etc is set to only show the needed for that individual/company.

This is all accessed on startup by way of autexec and startup form logins that prompts for user names and passwords.

I guess you could carry this much further, but was as far as I needed it.

If your tables are set up right and your sets are right, there should be no problem with large numbers of records.

Dave
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave and Martin - thanks for replying. Here's a scenario of what I want to achieve.

My application is used by an accountant who has many different clients. Each client can have many different sets of accounts for various trading years e.g. Fred2005, Fred2006, Fred2007. Each of these sets of accounts must be kept in different folders or in a backup zip file which can be restored when needed to work on.

The 'Master' application is accounts.adb which is installed into a folder c:\accounts. It has many tables and sets. The same application is used for each set of accounts - it is updated from time to time.

Unfortunately with Alpha you cannot separate the data files from the application ones so it is a maintenance nightmare when accounts.adb is updated if the new version has to be distributed to every folder. If backup zip files are used which have an old copy of the accounts.adb application, when restored these will overwrite the latest master application.

This is where I need some ideas on how best to achieve a work around the maintenance problem. It would be great if a Shadow database could be used and refreshed but the application is one one computer only, not a network.
          There are various ways of using file.copy_folder , copy_folder, file.zip and file.unzip routines but the maintenance problem would still exist unless a second master folder were used.

Any ideas appreciated. Mike

Comment

Mike,

I don't know how a shadow would help you, but you can have a folder on one computer for your data files and a seperate folder with the shadow that runs off those files.

Dave
            Dave Mason
            [email protected]
            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Each of these sets of accounts must be kept in different folders or in a backup zip file which can be restored when needed to work on.
              Why do they have to be in seperate folders? They just need to have different account/who&year/etc numbers and shold be able to reside in the same tables. Much simpler in the long run.

All(to the best of my knowledge) major accounting packages do multiple companies and in the same tables.

Dave
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Mike,

I don't see why you can't keep all the data "mixed" in one set of tables - provided that you use a scenario like described by Martin or Dave, and you create a mechanism to allow exporting of client data sets as needed. It's really only a matter of querying. I don't see what shadowing would do for you if you were on a network with respect to the problem that you describe.
                Peter
                AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Thanks Dave & Peter

Re the Shadow I mentioned this because it was discussed in the earlier thread as a possibility. I agree with your comments however.

MYOB uses the scenario I described but there is only one .dat file in their applications, not lots of tables and sets.

I have not yet tried to proceed along the lines Dave and Martin mentioned. This does seem the way to go. Any further tips along those lines would be appreciated.

Thanks. Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

Did you read something about the CSDA-utility tool Ira Perlow made?
                    It's cheap and with that tool you can make a backup of only datafiles.
                    Do a search and you'll find what you need or contact him for a script.
                    It's really cheap but.... if you have it you don't want to miss it/ can't without it.

http://www.csda1.com/products.html

He just finished it for version 8.
                    Recommended!

Regards
                    Ton
                    Most things are simple but unfortunately only after the first time

Comment

Thanks to everyone for sorting me out. I had a mental block and had convinced myself that I needed lots of different folders. Having experimented with the methods suggested by Martin, Dave and Peter I can now see that one set of tables is the obvious way ahead for me.

Ton - thanks for your recommendation. Ira's CSDA utility sounds great. I'm going to get that.

This kind of support is fantastic and demonstrates why Alpha is such a great product. Thanks again. Mike

Comment

Working...
                      X