Alpha Video Training

Thread: Longjunkfieldname with passive link MySQL

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Default Longjunkfieldname with passive link MySQL

I have MySQL 5.? server running on my development machine. I have created a simple MySQL table for testing. With A5V8 1640-3085 I can connect to the database. Then I use the genie to either create a passive link or to import the MySQL table. The genie provides a means to preview the data in the MySQL table and when I preview it, I do see all the 3 or 4 test records (see screen shot below).

However, when I add the passive linked table to my A5 DB (or do the import) and open it, all I get is one 10 character blank field named: Longjunkfieldname.

Am I doing something wrong? Anyone have a clue?

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/RAYMON%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-5.jpg[/IMG]

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Default Re: Longjunkfieldname with passive link MySQL

Ray

I don't understand how the image that I see is related to your typed message.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Al,

It's related, I presume, because the A5v8 genie preview displays all the fields, records and data in the MySQL table whereas the the passive linked DBF table not only has no records, it has this presumably irrelevant field named Longjunkfieldname. Unless I am mistaken it should have the same fields and data that the preview displayed. No? Note that in doing all this I got no errors of any kind, though I have to suspect that getting Longjunkfieldname indicates an error of some sort.

Ray

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
    Al,

It's related, I presume, because the A5v8 genie preview displays all the fields, records and data in the MySQL table whereas the the passive linked DBF table not only has no records, it has this presumably irrelevant field named Longjunkfieldname. Unless I am mistaken it should have the same fields and data that the preview displayed. No? Note that in doing all this I got no errors of any kind, though I have to suspect that getting Longjunkfieldname indicates an error of some sort.

Ray
    Ray

I don't see where Longjunkfieldname is in the image....

Did you post 2 images and only one is appearing?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Quote Originally Posted by Al Buchholz View Post
    Ray

I don't see where Longjunkfieldname is in the image....

Did you post 2 images and only one is appearing?
    Al,

No, I posted only one, figuring people would accept my word that the "resulting" DBF table had only one field named Longjunkfieldname.

But now I have some insight into what was going on, because after my nightly reboot the genie now does create proper passive link tables, at least if I choose the multiple tables option. Previously when it failed to auto create the tables it instead left me with a dialog seemingly wanting me to name the new linked DBF table, which I did, and then when I added that table it only had the Longjunkfieldname field in the table and was not linked to anything. But now I see this is not what the genie should have done, and this morning I have successfully created properly linked tables.

There still seems to be a problem, however, because in importing or passively linking a MySQL table if I choose the option of importing or passively linking just one table rather than multiple tables, it does not work and I only get the same dialog asking me to name a table that will end up with the Longjunkfieldname. This would appear to be a bug but hey, maybe I just need to reboot again!

Ray