I have two tables.
    Table_One = "Equipment Category Table"
    Table_Two = "Task List"
    '---
    ? Table_One.table_fields()
    = "Equipment_Type"
    "Equipment_System"
    Equipment_Sub_System"

Equipment_Type would be anything from "Car" to "Chassis" to "Plane" not sure.
    I'm using "chassis" because that's my industry.

Define all Categories of an "Equipment_Type". They go under "Equipment_System".

(E.G.)
    Car / Engine, Car / Transmission, Car / Electrical System
    Then Define the Specific Sub Systems (a.k.a. Parts)
    Car/Engine/Intake
    Car/Engine/Sensors
    Car/Electrical System/Harness
    Car/Electrical System/Alternator

Give every Combination a unique serialized number called "Category_ID"
    This "Category_ID" is used to Link "Maintenance Tasks" to a specific area of a defined Equipment.

? "Table_Two.fields_get()
    = Category_ID
    Component
    Action
    Time Allowed
    Usage Limit
    Specifications

Every "Task" is linked to a "Category_ID" on an equipment. Progressive Search through the categories, and find your Component. The Component will be used to show all possible Actions. When a component and an action are chosen, this record can be given a unique serialized "Task_ID".

This "Task_ID" is placed onto a "Work Order" table. The "Task_ID" has a limit to how many of them is allowed on a "Work Order". Each "Task_ID" has a Time Allowed assigned to it, and also a Specification field which details the limitations and instructions of a "Task".

This is my method of using "Tasks" for a CMMS. Every "Task" is basically an Action done to a "Component" which is located in the "Category_ID" of an "Equipment_Type".

Logically I think this may work well, but there are still things I'm missing that I'm not aware of. I also use this "Category_ID" table to define "Parts". I do not add "Parts" to a "Work Order" using a Progressive Search, instead I simply search for a "Part_No" or "Description". I say this because my "Parts" sometimes need a "Category_ID" of their own. Those Categories exist that do not have any "Tasks". This isn't a problem I think, because when Searching for a Task you would just know which Categories will have Components and Actions (A.k.A "Tasks"). That is a problem because I want the User to See Exactly what he needs to see and nothing else. Clicky Clicky Boom Boom.

My brain hurts. Can anyone help me figure out this system. I need someone with a brain and some creativity. I know all of you do this for a living. :) Really it doesn't seem too complicated or difficult, but it is. Especially the "Idiot" factor which requires me to have everything "editable".

Please and thank you for any suggestions or comments...
    Dan Murphy

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Default Re: Task Management

I can see why your brain hurts, but at the same time you seem to have a fairly intuitive, if not nuts & bolts, grasp of what you are trying to do. A couple of points, though:

When you say: Car/Engine/Intake, etc. to me that suggests 3 tables, not one. But I may be wrong. As a general rule, you should follow the rules of db normalization - i.e. break your db structure up into the smallest parts possible, each "part" being a table. Each record of each table (in most cases) should have their own unique (autoincrement) ID. Then link as need be.

Real Name
    Martin Horzempa

Hi Daniel

Logically I think this may work well, but there are still things I'm missing that I'm not aware of. I also use this "Category_ID" table to define "Parts". I do not add "Parts" to a "Work Order" using a Progressive Search, instead I simply search for a "Part_No" or "Description". I say this because my "Parts" sometimes need a "Category_ID" of their own. Those Categories exist that do not have any "Tasks". This isn't a problem I think, because when Searching for a Task you would just know which Categories will have Components and Actions (A.k.A "Tasks"). That is a problem because I want the User to See Exactly what he needs to see and nothing else. Clicky Clicky Boom Boom.

not sure but i am thinking that you need a field(CLASS) that might be used to filter
    the tasked parts from the non tasked parts - if you keep them all in the same table.

this would allow the use of "Category_ID" for both types of parts searches if you set the filter for the CLASS search to "A" - ancillary or "P" primary

just a thought

Real Name
    Daniel Murphy

Brilliant, two great responses. :) Yes the Class idea would work, have two three possible values.
    "Part"
    "Task"
    "Both"

Nice. Thanks. Actually Peter I have all three "Category" fields in one table and each record has a unique "Category_ID". In reverse, every "Category_ID" has three distinctive location markers. You might be right about splitting them up into a Type table, System Table, and Sub_System Table. Then creating unique IDs to link together every possibly combination...However, at this point I might want to table.external_record_content_get() for a progressive search in a dialog filtering through the same "Master Category" table. When the three descriptions are chosen, that "Category_ID" can link to anything. At least this isn't as far fetched as I imagined it would be.

All in all it's a solid foundation to do what I'm doing? :)

Thank you all