Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

copy all child records to new record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

copy all child records to new record

I have a form based on a set with the following structure.

Devicecode 1:M link to Specrev which has a 1:M link to Standard

Each device can have several revisions of the electrical specification that is stored in the Specrev table. Each revision will have several parameters that are stored in the standard table.

My form has a combo box to select the devicecode and two browses, one based on the Specrev table and the other on the standard table. There is a button to add a new Specrev record and another button to add a record to the Standard browse.

What I would like to do is set the cursor to a record in the specrev browse and then when I click the button for a new specrev record it will create a new specrev record and copy all the child records from the currently selected specrev record into the standard table. This will help reduce the amount of data entry as the specifications tend to have only one or two fields changed.

Can this be done with action scripting? If not what is the best way of achieving this using xbasic?

Regards

Geoff

Re: copy all child records to new record

I have attached a demo of the database to help with the explanation above.

Comment

Geoff,

You need to tell us what rules you want applied to prevent the new grandchildren from being linked to the wrong child. Your tables have no field rules yet.

Consider this:

a) if we duplicate the child table it will have the same link field values as the record being duplicated. You probably do NOT want duplicate primary keys.

b) if we then duplicate the grandchild records they'll have the same link field values as the children being duplicated. so they'll appear to be linked to the original child, not the newly created one.

The script that creates the new records can assign new link field values, but you have to tell us the rules. Alternatively, its possible to use autoinc field rules to supply new link field values, too. Either way you need to tell us the rules for distinguishing (assigning unique primary key values) the new child table record and then linking the new grandchild table records.

Comment

Hi Tom,

I didn't think of the primary keys. Okay, what I want to copy is the data in browse 1 which is based on the standard table. This would be fields insertion, isolation and return. These fields from the relevant records would then be copied to the new revision number child records.

For example if I wanted to base the new specification on revision 6 and the new revision will be 10.

Then the child record fields insertion, isolation and return from revision 6 will be copied to the new revision 10 child records. The primary key for the standard table is deviceid which is equal to device code(devicecode table) + specrev(specrev table).

I am not sure I have explained it very well but hopefully you can get the idea and I appreciate any help you can offer in steering me to a more concise and clear description. My original concept of copying the record wasn't correct as I don't want the whole record copied just certain fields.

Thanks

Geoff

Comment

That's ok. Understanding the problem is the key to finding the solution.

How will the specrev field value in the "new" specrev record be determined? Our script needs to do this automatically, but you haven't told us what value it should be assigning to this field.

Comment

The specrev is entered manually by the operator. Currently it is a numeric field but I will probably have to change this to a character field as there may need to be letters used as a prefix or suffix to the number. I will have to set up a field rule to make it a unique field only but that is the only rule to be applied. This is really an exercise to understand the method and how to apply it before I create the required database.

If the script has to generate the specrev value could a dialog box be opened with the last records specrev value in it which can then be modified to the new required value by the user?

Comment

Geoff,

Dr. Wayne included a discussion and sample code in his book "Xbasic for Everyone" that shows how to duplicate records from a set. It was discussed recently here because the script in his book has trouble in vers 8. Here's the link to the thread. The code discussed there could be readily adapted to your exercise.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ad.php?t=67709

Comment

Tom,

Thanks for the link.

I decided to do this in a couple of stages. First I want to get the copying of the child data to work and then I will work on the primary key for the specrev table. For now I have decided to just increase the specrev field value by one which should be fine for experimentation purposes as long as I am on the last record when I run the script.

I modified the xbasic as follows and I have put comments on each line with my interpretation of what it is doing.

Code:
                'Date Created: 01-Jun-2007 03:12:57 PM
                'Last Updated: 06-Jun-2007 01:40:22 PM
                'Created By  : Lance
                'Updated By  : Geoff Meredith
                dim rev as p
                dim sdata as p
                dim old_parent as n
                dim countsdata as n
                dim i as n
                rev=table.current(2)
                sdata=table.current(3)
                countsdata = count(standard->freq,grp->specrev,grp->devicecode)

if countsdata>0 then
                dim vfreq[countsdata] as b
                dim vins[countsdata] as b
                dim viso[countsdata] as b
                dim vret[countsdata] as b

i=0 
                sdata.fetch_first() ' goto first record from standard table
                while i<countsdata ' while variable i is less than countsdata value repeat this loop
                i=i+1 ' increase the value of i by 1
                vfreq[i]=parentform:Browse1:freq.value ' set the value of variable vfreq[i] to the current freq field value
                vins[i]=parentform:Browse1:insertion.value ' set the value of variable vins[i] to the current freq field value
                vins[i]=parentform:Browse1:isolation.value ' set the value of variable viso[i] to the current freq field value
                vins[i]=parentform:Browse1:return.value ' set the value of variable vret[i] to the current freq field value
                sdata.fetch_next() ' goto next record
                end while ' end of while loop
                end if ' countsdata>0
                old_parent=parentform:Browse2:specrev.value ' set variable old_parent to current specrev field value
                rev.enter_begin() ' start a new record in the revision table
                specrev.value=old_parent+1 ' put the value of old_parent into the new record specrev field +1
                rev.enter_end(.t.) ' end  
                parentform.resynch()   'force record pointer in parent table to refresh
                ui_yield()  'force script to wait for user interface to catch up
                parent.resynch()

if countsdata>0 then
                for j=1 to countsdata  ' set count from 1 to total number of records to be copied
                sdata.enter_begin(.t.) ' start new record in the standard table
                parentform:browse1:deviceid.value=("devicecode+specrev->specrev") ' put the value of the deviceid field to devicecode+specrev values
                parentform:Browse1:freq.value=vfreq[j] ' put the value of variable freq[j] to into the freq field
                parentform:Browse1:insertion.value=vins[j] ' put the value of variable freq[j] to into the freq field
                parentform:Browse1:isolation.value=viso[j] ' put the value of variable freq[j] to into the freq field
                parentform:Browse1:return.value=vret[j] ' put the value of variable freq[j] to into the freq field
                sdata.enter_end(.t.) ' end data entry
                next ' loop again until j = the countsdata value
                end if ' countsdata>0
                parent.resynch()
                end
                I am getting and error at line 32 which states that 'enter already began'
                Code:
                rev.enter_begin() ' start a new record in the revision table
                I am sure that I am missing something fundamental. Please forgive the poor xbasic modifications as I tend to do something with a script and then copy the code to try and get the correct syntax which is what I based the the following type of code on.

Code:
                vins[i]=parentform:Browse1:return.value
                Geoff

Comment

Forget the error it disappeared after I shut A5 down and restarted. I also found some typos when putting the field values into the the variables. To much use of cut and paste. Code still doesn't work yet. I think the line where I increase the value of the specrev field by 1 is wrong.

Comment

Geoff,

Here's an example for you to ponder.

It uses a different approach, and is closer to how I'd do it personally. I'll be interested in your comments, and those of anyone else who looks in.

-- tom

Comment

Thank you Tom.

There seem to be so many commands in x basic that I have difficulties finding/choosing the appropriate ones. However the code I presented earlier had so many mistakes I feel somewhat embarrassed. I was going through it last night at home with the x basic reference manual and I realised the syntax had a lot to be desired among other things.

I have looked at your code and really appreciate the effort you have gone to explaining each line. It has been a great help and an additional step in my understanding x basic and why and how to do certain things.

Once again thank you for your assistance.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                      X