Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

help on how or can this be done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help on how or can this be done

Hi
    i need to have about 5-6 pricelist from a master product list but i would like to keep them apart like one database for retail and one for trade etc etc and just update the product database and can this update the other pricelist with the new stock hope you understand or get what i would like to do

enterprise edition
    vers 8

Andy Notton

Re: help on how or can this be done

Originally posted by andynotton View Post
    Hi
    i need to have about 5-6 pricelist from a master product list but i would like to keep them apart like one database for retail and one for trade etc etc and just update the product database and can this update the other pricelist with the new stock hope you understand or get what i would like to do

enterprise edition
    vers 8

Andy Notton
    Normalization would suggest that you do not store pricing in your master product table. You would have a second table for pricing with a field to hold the product identifier and as many pricing fields as you want. When you want to know the price to quote a customer you would reference the item in the pricing table and pick out the appropriate field for the customer type.
    There can be only one.

Comment

Andy,

I would suggest one list (call it what you want) with various fields such as 'Cost', 'Price1', 'Price2', etc. (or maybe '5% Disc', '10% Disc', etc.)

Dave
      Dave Jampole
      www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

can you tell me more as i only been using the program for a few weeks now and not sure how to lay it out or where i can find out more infromation

Andy Notton

Comment

Andy,

First of all, you are going to need a Vendor table containing whatever information you want on the vendors from whom you purchase products. After you build (and populate) the vendor table, you can create the Product table, in which one field will be the vendor number, your cost and as many discount fields (labeled appropriately) as you feel you need. The reason for this is simple, you will probably be purchasing various products from the same vendor and you don't want to have the vendor name appearing repeatedly throughout the product table (what Stand is referencing when he talks about normalization).

If the Product table, the Vendor-ID field should be a lookup field so that you can lookup the Vendor ID from the Vendor table. That way, you can view a specific product, see who the vendor it and view or track back to the vendor information in the Vendor table.

If you look at the AlphaSports demo that ships with Alpha, you can see examples of table lookup and how to set it up.

Dave
          Dave Jampole
          www.customalpha.com

Women and cats will do whatever they want. The sooner men and dogs realize that, the happier they will be.

Comment

let me see if i can tell you what i would like to do

I have a master product database list that i would like to update my pricelists databases when i add products to the master product database keeping the products and prices away from each other so it not confusing and can updated just one database hope this helps or is there a way to do something like this there 3500 products at this time and about 5-6 pricelist

Andy Notton

Comment

Andy,

First off it doesn't matter how long you have been using Alpha Five as the design and layout would be similar no matter what tool you are going to use. So I would not worry about the programming part for the time being.

Although most people do not plan there designs well, every program truly requires more thought before the programming than the time it takes to tell the computer how to do it. You really need to sit back and think about all the information, computer files, etc. that you have and then think really hard about what it is that you want to achieve - a computerized price list or paper based price lists, etc. When you can describe all that to someone else (remember we can not see the visions in your head), then we might be able to offer better suggestions. Right now you are talking about price lists. I don't know whether you already have any of this in a computerized form, whether it is all paper based. Or whether what you want in the end is computerized or paper based.

A little more explanation would certainly help.

A guess from what you have already said: I would say that you could easily create a single file with all prices in it and a field in this file will have to specify which "price list" it is for. You could then create your forms around using only the set of information from a specific "price list". Is this what you are asking for?

Comment

let me see if i can tell you what i would like to do

I have a master product database list that i would like to update my pricelists databases when i add products to the master product database keeping the products and prices away from each other so it not confusing and can updated just one database hope this helps or is there a way to do something like this there 3500 products at this time and about 5-6 pricelist

Andy Notton
                Andy,

It will help us help you if you speak in Alpha terminology. Specific table names and field names lead to specific suggestions.

You have a master product table. You have several price list tables.
                What kind of record do you want to create in the price list tables when you add a record to the master product table? Do you want to just create a record in each price list table with the linking field populated? Do you want some process to occur when you add a master product record that will prompt for the price to put in each price list table?

Update has a meaning of its own in Alpha which seems unrelated to what you are trying to do.

Clumsy example attached.
                Last edited by Stan Mathews; 06-05-2007, 04:37 PM. Reason: example
                There can be only one.

Comment

let me give you some more information we supply towbars and fit them we have about 2-3 main suppliers and need to have upto date prices for them all the time i would like to do this is have a master product database with the list below

master product database

productid
                  manfacture
                  groupname
                  description
                  yearstart
                  finishyear
                  listprice
                  supplier
                  suppliercode

retail supplied database

rspID
                  cost
                  ourprice
                  kit1
                  kit2
                  kit2r
                  kitcode
                  wiringkit

and try and keep them separate but update the pricelist with new and delete products using the master product data base or is there a easyer way to do this

Andy Notton

Comment

Are you trying to keep your price lists in a table? or are you just going to print a report?

Seems to me you can use use a table with codes for each type of sale/customer. Then just print the price list reports filtered on the customer type code. The customer type code can be used in a calculation to create the customized price list. The "master" product table will automatically be modified by the settings in the customer type table.

The customer type table could be something like this

Cust_type
                    Cust_Discount_Level1
                    Cust_Discount_Level2
                    etc.
                    for as many discount levels you support.

In your prices lists use Cust_type to define the type of price list that will be created. You could tell the report to not print price columns for discount levels that are blank.

I'm not a developer like some of the folks here. But I am in the process of doing something similar. I have master product database that can be regularly updated, as my suppliers change prices. When my supplier changes my cost I want to automatically generate new selling price lists. I also want to be able to adjust my selling margin without changing my purchasing margin, and visa-versa.

I think this can be done with calculations based on the values in certain fields. For instance, if I want to sell at a special rate to "Builders" but not to the general public I simply assign the customer to the "Builders" customer type and that customer type can be assigned an special discount rate in the Cust_Type table. I could also enter the discount rates directly into the customer table and use that. The Cust_Type table has the advantage of being able to update all "Builders" at once. But it also can be too general. If you want to control it at the customer level you should use the customer record.

The master products table is used only to track my cost and for PO's etc. My selling price is calculated elsewhere.

Sean Kennedy

let me give you some more information we supply towbars and fit them we have about 2-3 main suppliers and need to have upto date prices for them all the time i would like to do this is have a master product database with the list below

master product database

productid
                    manfacture
                    groupname
                    description
                    yearstart
                    finishyear
                    listprice
                    supplier
                    suppliercode

retail supplied database

rspID
                    cost
                    ourprice
                    kit1
                    kit2
                    kit2r
                    kitcode
                    wiringkit

and try and keep them separate but update the pricelist with new and delete products using the master product data base or is there a easyer way to do this

Andy Notton

Comment

Working...
                    X