Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Username and Password passed from ASP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Username and Password passed from ASP

Hello Everyone.

My Client has an existing website and want to keep it as is. He has a login section "Username" and "password" to get access to certain pages on the site.

One of these pages opens up the login.a5w page of our A5 database, with security enabled. To gain access to the database section, the user has to login again , once from the client side, and once with the A5 login security.

I would like to "automatically" log the user in to the database section based on the login details passed from the client login page.

The Client could pass the username and password to the login page. For ex.
    Code:
    http://site.com/login.a5w?username=walter&password=alpha.

My pseudocde so far:
    1. Test if values were passed to the login page
    2. Validate the values
    3. if OK, do the login and redirect to the main page
    4. else, do manual login

My question:

1. Can the login component created with a5v8 security accept these values or do we have to create a custom dialog login for this?

I honestly do not know how to accept and validate these values. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Walter

Re: Username and Password passed from ASP

Did you ever resolve this? I tried the obvious too, as in login.a5w?Userid=steve&Password=12345 with no luck, the login dialog fields do not populate. Also, I don't think there is a way to achieve login without going through an official login dialog. There is no function like Log_In_User(userid,password) which might be executed from an A5W page and auto-log in the user based on passed parameters.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Walter,

Another problem with passing the values through the URL, of course, is that it sends the login and password in the clear in a user readable form right in the address bar. Sort of defeats the security system.

How 'bout doing it the other way around? Have the user log in to the alpha system and then move them to the current site.

In order to work with the alpha security, you'll need to enter the current pages in the alpha page list and set up that security anyhow, so why not just bypass the current security altogether? Use the pages as is, but use the alpha security for them.

Pat
      Pat Bremkamp
      MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Hi all,

No luck either Steve.

I convinced my client to move to Alpha. We are going to re-design all the pages with Alpha v8.

Pat, I agree with you, what is the use if you can read the values in the address bar? You idea to swing the thing around is also workable. Thanks in any case.

On another note:
        I do not know if there is something like this, but can we get some .a5w template pages somehow? Maybe add it to the wish list?

It would be nice to choose a template and add your components and stuff to it! I think it would result in good looking pages, especially for beginners?

Have a nice day and thanks for the replies.
        Walter

Comment

I like your idea of the a5w templates
          Cheers
          Mauricio

Comment

There really is not much to creating a template for web pages. Templates are mostly about deciding how the page will look, and putting it in cement using a template. Decide if your pages will be for 800x600 screens or higher 1024x768 and make your template match that. Templates are easier if you use horizontal menus since they can sit in an attached header page, resting on top of your main page. A vertical menu requies you to add the menu to the body of each page, since you cannot "include" a page to the left or right (unless you use frames, which causes other problems in A5).

If you have grids that will be wider than the template borders, make your template flush left. Then it does not look as bad if one or two grids are too wide.

I've attached a set of files that would constitute a template.

header.a5w - sits on top of almost all pages. Included by adding a5w_include("header.a5w") as the first xbasic on each A5W page. Also has "Logged in: YourName" in upper right. You'll have to delete, modify or incorporate to make it work, but it won't cause the page to fail if you just ignore it.

_template.a5w - mock page as a template. 720 px wide, three row table. Use the first row for the page title, middle for the component(s), and bottom for whatever.

mainmenu.a5wcmp - a menu from one project. It is a component in the header.a5w. So, by including the header.a5w, it includes the menu on every page.

reportlocal.gif - a graphic from a partiular project. Is embedded in the header.a5w page to give something attractive at the top of each page.
            Steve Wood
            See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve, couldn't there be a workaround with vertical menus just inserting a table with a single row and 2 columns, then inserting the vertical menu with "a5w_include" to the left row and the component on the right row ?

in the other hand, I'm glad you mentioned the problem with frames because i was planning on using them in some new pages, what are exactly the problems that they cause? can you mention them please
              Cheers
              Mauricio

Comment

Mauricio - That's what I do when I use vertical menus -- but that has to be placed on each page. The difference is the "header with the horiz menu" is ONE A5W page that sits on top of other pages using the a5w_include() function. With the virtical options, the menu must be added to each page seperately. They both work, the header is the easier method.

You can use Frames and any HTML code in an A5W page, but you can't open a page in the A5 WYSIWYG HTML Editor, the code will disappear. If you always open/save those pages using the Source tab, you're alright. Using Fames does make the pages load faster since it does not have to reload all pages if only one has a Submit button in it. I'm too lazy to keep track of which ones have frames, so I wait for Alpha to add that to the editor.
                Steve Wood
                See my profile on IADN

Comment

Here's the attachment I forgot two posts ago.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

Steve,

This is only partially on track, but in working with the security framework, were you able to figure out how to let someone sign up for a user id and password and then be logged in without having to go through the login again?

In my situation, I have people who sign up for events and prepay on line with a credit card. So, currently, the sequence for a new person is
                    1. view the event list
                    2. select an event they want to attend
                    3. enter some personal data - I create a 'person' record and assign a person id
                    4. choose a user id and password - I create a login account and assign a group and start page
                    5. now, they have to go through the login using that user id and password before they can sign up and pay.

Do you know how to combine steps 4 and 5 to eliminate that extra login?

Also, at the conference, someone (I don't remember who but my memory is that they should have known what they were talking about...maybe Jerry?) said that the include actually has the page code combined with the main page code. So, you can end up with a page that has two head and two body sections. Their recommendation was to not include a header that contained a component.

At the time, I was using a header that contained two menus. Mostly it worked, but I was having trouble with some features like hide/show and calculations. Based on that comment, I figured that was due to the two header section problem. So, now I'm back to putting the components and pretty pictures on every page. Have you had any trouble with the include?

Pat
                    Pat Bremkamp
                    MindKicks Consulting

Comment

I'd have to ask Jerry, but as far as I can tell, they have to use the Login component to be logged in. There is no log_in_user() function that I can see. I know I could create a log in based on URL parameters, but not actually log that person in. I have a feeling this is a purposeful omission to require a human being, rather than a web-bot, performing the login.

The login dialog seems to have special qualities. I can't fill the userid/password fields from a URL using parameters. Normally, if you have a field named NAME, and a &NAME=Steve in the URL, it would drop in my name. But that does not work on the login dialog.

I was on the conversation about the double head/body tags. I forget who proposed the solution, but it was to create a header page and purposely remove the head/body tags from that page. So when it was included it would not cause the double up action. However, I've not done that and so all my pages probably have double occurences of head/body.
                      Steve Wood
                      See my profile on IADN

Comment

Pat in my opinion steps 4 and 5 have a very common behaivior
                        for example when you open a new hotmail acount the same happens (if my memory isnt wrong). you are redirected to their login page.

i have too expirienced probles with a5w_include and show/hide options
                        i tought that the problem was caused because the combination of a menu component and a dialog with those options but apparently i was wrong and the problem is the a5w_include based on your posts.
                        Cheers
                        Mauricio

Comment

The most recent v8 patch changes the conclusion on this discussion. They added a new function that DOES allow you to log a user in using xbasic. So, now you could pass information from ASP, in a URL or POST for example, and log someone in.

I know its up the developer, but I will be cautious using this feature.
                          Steve Wood
                          See my profile on IADN

Comment

Working...
                          X