Alpha Video Training

Thread: Alpha4 v8 won't work after Windows "upgrade"

Real Name
    Eric Johnson

Default Alpha4 v8 won't work after Windows "upgrade"

We had Alpha 4 Version 8 working fine on an XP Pro desktop with half a gig of RAM until the other day, when the computer did an automatic operating system "upgrade," and now A4 won't start up. When we double click on the icon, the DOS shell screen opens, but then everything goes blank and we're back at the Windows desktop.

I tried doing a System Restore on the computer, but of course, that doesn't work anymore, either.

The "upgrade" version is XP KB899587.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking maybe a reallocation of memory resources is all that is needed, but thought I'd check here first before I really screw things up.

I did try launching the program from the DOS command prompt with the a4.exe command, with the same result. When I tried to launch the old V6 from the Version 6 directory still on the hard drive, I got an out of XMS memory message.
    Last edited by Northern Logger; 06-15-2007 at 02:29 PM. Reason: more information

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Default Re: Alpha4 v8 won't work after Windows "upgrade"

Eric

The first thing that I would do is uninstall the KB899587 or use system restore to go back to prior to it's install and make sure that it is the issue.

Next is to check the config.nt file (in windows/system directory) and make sure it is OK.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Eric Johnson

Thanks, Al.

The problem is that the computer won't do a restore, so I think we're stuck with what we've got. Upon further investigation, the update number I mentioned was one of many done in that session, so I don't know which update, if any, is causing the problem.

I'll check the config.nt file. What should I be looking for?

Real Name
    Eric Johnson

After about an hour of trying older dates, we were finally able to get the computer to restore to a late May date, prior to the Windows update of June 11. Unfortunately, Alpha still won't launch, even though it worked fine prior to June 11. So I really don't know where to turn.

I called Alpha tech support, but didn't get much help. This was before the successful restore, by the way. No "Try this; try that/check this; check that" or any of the other usual tech support routine. The basic vibe I got was "Windows XP issues are beyond our control--good luck."

I bought Alpha4, V8 specifically because it is advertised as being compatible with Windows XP. Is it fair to conclude that I won't get adequate tech support from Alpha Software on this issue, or any others related to XP in the future? And if so, who do I contact about a refund?

Real Name
    Greg Lee

The same thing happened to me today. I used A4V7 this morning, but this afternoon, I get the same system response.:confused:

I was under the assumption that the Data Nazis were on to my self-installed DOS program, but now I'm thinking it may be more of an XP upgrade issue.

Frustrating:mad:

Please post any resolution you find.

Real Name
    Greg Lee

Interestingly, A4DOC.exe runs fine. Maybe it's not an XP upgrade issue where XP will no longer run DOS programs.

Any thoughts anyone?

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Logger View Post
    Thanks, Al.

The problem is that the computer won't do a restore, so I think we're stuck with what we've got. Upon further investigation, the update number I mentioned was one of many done in that session, so I don't know which update, if any, is causing the problem.

I'll check the config.nt file. What should I be looking for?
    The config.nt should be the same as your config.sys was on win 98 - ie prior to XP.

Sounds like that would also cause your out of memory in a4v6.....

NL & ThumbsUp - What anti-virus program are you running?
    What else has changed on your machine since A4 stopped running?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Greg Lee

I was able to solve my access problem by simply reinstalling A4.

Go figure................

Real Name
    Eric Johnson

I tried that, but it didn't work. I'm having someone check the config.nt file today (I'm on the road), so hopefully it's just a matter of resetting the handles and files.

Real Name
    David Pawley

You might reference this tread with similar issues What version and service pack are you running. If XP-Pro I have found these upades(KB885835 and KB890859) listed in the above thread and service pack 1 give you the problem. If you upgrade completely to SP2 A4v6/7/8 should run.

If it is the config.nt file you should get an Alpha4 files handles error.
    Dave