Alpha Video Training

Thread: Running WAS as a service?

Real Name
    Nathan Zeiset

Default Running WAS as a service?

Hello all:

I have our web application running on a VPS at EasyCGI. I want to make sure that the application starts up automatically and immediately after a server reboot. I've read all that I could find on this forum, but so far nothing is working quite right for me.

1. I tried putting a shortcut to the WAS in the startup folder, but it won't start after a reboot until I connect to the server using Remoted Desktop. As soon as I connect, the WAS starts, but not until then.

2. I tried running it as a service using AlwaysUp. It would run my application, but as I clicked around in it, I would get errors quite often. If I would refresh the page that initially returned an error, it would usually show up fine. (If I remember correctly, they were connection errors. I already uninstalled it, because the performance was definitely unsatisfactory.)

3. I tried running it as a service using FireDaemon. It runs my application fine, except for one critical part. The email_send2() function doesn't work. Or maybe it's the MailEnable server software that I'm using. I'm not sure which. If I run WAS directly, the email works fine.

Are there any other options that someone is using successfully? Or does anyone have any ideas why any of the things I've tried so far don't work properly?

Thanks!
    Nathan

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Default Re: Running WAS as a service?

I have a VPS account with the same outfit. Your problems are probably not related to AlwaysUp or FD. Your option 1 will always work that way, so abandon it. I've used AlwaysUp and FD without any problem for over a year. You were kinda sketchy about what the problem was on #2.
    Steve Wood
    Join the ALPHA DEVELOPERS NETWORK
    There is no Cloud. It's just someone else's computer.
    Web - Mobile - Hosting - Products - Frameworks - Developer Resources
    AlphaToGo | IADN (100% Alpha Anywhere Websites)

Real Name
    Nathan Zeiset

Thanks for your response, Steve.

I reinstalled AlwaysUp, and I could not reproduce the errors I was getting earlier. That's the good news. The bad news is that I have the same issue with AlwaysUp that I had with FireDaemon. The email_send2() function does not work. I've attached a copy of a test page that works fine when running the WAS directly, but fails when running as a service under AlwaysUp or FireDaemon. (If anyone wants to test the code, replace the placeholders with valid email addresses.)

Can anyone verify that email_send2() does not work when running the WAS as a service? I'm trying to determine if this is a WAS, AlwaysUp, or server problem.

Thanks!
    Nathan

Real Name
    Nathan Zeiset

FWIW, I modified the code to use the email_send() function instead, and I get the same results.

Nathan

Real Name
    Nathan Zeiset

I guess I posted too quickly. :o The problem was solved by changing the log on settings of the service to those that I use to log on to the server. Now the email_send2() function works fine.

Nathan

Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Zeiset View Post
    I guess I posted too quickly. :o The problem was solved by changing the log on settings of the service to those that I use to log on to the server. Now the email_send2() function works fine.

Nathan
    I was just about to post a message that the email profiles are stored in the registry under the windows username, so logging in under a different user will give you different profiles.(or none if the profiles haven't been set for that windows user).

Glad you were able to work through it.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Glad you answered that because I was scratching my head - I use email_send() and email_send2() along with AlwaysUp with no issue.
    Steve Wood

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Nathan,

I could use some help with this. I am having the problem of not being able to send email from the app server, which is run as a service by AlwaysUp.

I have looked through User Rights Assignment, Desktop Security Settings, the help file, and I can't see where to set the logon for the service to match my logon account.

Bill.

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

OK, I found the settings when I Edit the app server service. Email still not working, but I will poke around and probably figure it out.

Bill.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

Test it from the server by right-clicking on teh Alpha icon, go to Email and your profile and test send. If that works, your send_email should work. Email configuration must be done on the server, the client computer you published from has NO bearing on the email settings on the server.
    Steve Wood

VAR
    Real Name
    Bill Parker

Oddly I had never noticed the Test button before. That made testing much easier!

The smpt server external to the server's network that I had been trying to use still does not want to work from the app server. It does work from a runtime copy on the server - I have triple checked that settings are the same between runtime and app server, but who knows.

On the app server I finally got an smpt server on their internal network to work, so I am declairing victory!

Bill.